This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Tragedy has struck

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote mjlrpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tragedy has struck
    Posted: 06 May 2023 at 3:27pm
I went out to dewinterize the camper this morning (brand new 2023, never camped a day in it) and after putting some water in the FWT, I went in to begin introducing water into the lines. I turned on the water pump, and went to the sink. The flow was terrible, so I removed the aerator to find it filled with crap. I cleaned it out and thought, hmmm, why is the pump still running. After I got the water running, I thought, let me go look at the pump. As I looked into the pass thru where the pump is, to my horror water was running everywhere, and filling my pass thru. I couldn't believe it. Upon furter investigation I found the h/w tank was filled. So the camper that was delivered to me last November, was NOT winterized. It had a nice sticker on the door saying " this vehicle has been winterized" and being november, winter time, when it was delivered, I never gave it a second thought. I have lots of damage. The water heater, pump, outside water sprayer, shwer, and some water is coming from underneath that I don't know from where. Do you guys think I stand a chance of getting the dealer to cover this? or will forest river, dometic help out? 

2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2023 at 6:16pm
Sorry to hear about your disaster with the damaged plumbing.  Massachusetts is probably a friendlier state insofar as consumer protections go, so you should have some leverage with the dealer, provided it is located in Massachusetts.  If you bought it out of state, then it gets more complicated.  This is a big enough problem you may want to have a chat with a lawyer.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2023 at 8:11pm
Before going the lawyer route, contact the dealer that sold you the RPod. Give them a chance to make it good. If the dealer is non-cooperative, then you can consider the legal route.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2023 at 5:39am
I agree with StephenH that you should give the dealer a chance to fix it, but in these days of so much cheating and dishonesty by so many businesses, it might be a good idea to find out what consumer protections may apply before you go to the dealer, so that when you talk to the people there you are armed with the knowledge of your rights.  If they sense that you are aware of your rights, you may find them much more receptive to taking responsibility.  In the old days, as I lawyer, I would have told my client to talk to the dealer first and try to work it out, but, sadly, times have changed as more and more businesses try to dodge responsibility for the stuff they sell.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2023 at 11:30am
Wow. That is terrible. I think I agree with StephenH and LA.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mjlrpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2023 at 4:13pm
Well, I have contacted the dealer, and forest river. I'm looking at over a thousand dollars in just parts, no labor. If I have to, I will try to do it myself, but would rather have it done professionally. My main concern right now is saving the season. I can bypass the water heater, and boil or microwave some if needed but with leaks everywhere, it would be virtually impossible to camp in it. I want the toilet working.  I'm going to replace the pump, (leaking like crazy) the spray connector (same) and the shower valves (not as bad, but leaking) and then see if everything else holds water. Even if the dealer or forest river agree, I doubt they will be in any rush to get it done. Bearing in mind my dealer is a 13 hour ride away according to google. 

2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2023 at 5:11pm
You may want to check the warranty before undertaking repairs for this situation.  Be careful that you don't violate its terms and be faced with a claim that it's void. 
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2023 at 5:18am
+1  Any chance you could return it to your dealer (they messed up big time) and they give you their "loaner" until yours is fully repaired.  I know the dealer we purchased ours from (U.P. Michigan) had a couple loaners they would allow their clients to use while warranty work was being done.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2023 at 6:08am
Also, check the lemon laws in your state. I sounds like that unit needs to go back to the factory for rework. If the lemon laws apply, you might be better off exchanging it for a unit that was not mislabeled.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2023 at 6:41am
Checking the lemon laws is a good idea, but you'll need to check them in the state where the dealer is located.  You also may have a Uniform Commercial Code issue of "merchantability," i.e. a product not being fit for its intended use.  Again, this is why it's a good idea to check with a lawyer so that when you are working things out with the dealer, you are aware of your rights which makes it harder for the dealer to game you.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>