This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Batteries

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote mjlrpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Batteries
    Posted: 20 Apr 2023 at 12:34pm
Calling all battery experts. I am adding some solar upgade, and I wanted to add another battery so I could have 2. I decided to go with 2 six volt golf cart batteries. I bought 2 Diehard 225 Ah golf car batteries. The only other things marked on them are GC2. They cost me 350 bucks for 2. Does this sound about right?? They are not maintainance free. 

2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
gpokluda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2023 at 2:09pm
If they say GC2 and weigh in about 60lbs each, that's them. I believe all GC2 batteries are deep cycle.
Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179(sold 2023)
2022 Escape 5.0TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 3.5EB
Triumph T120
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2023 at 2:21pm
Agree, that is about right for price.  Not real familiar with Diehard batteries, at the golf course where I worked the electric carts (since the 1980's) have always had Trojan's.  Have worked on some electric carts that members have, and when it comes to changeout, we go with Trojans. 

I have two batteries in our 177.  The oldest is 12 yrs. old, Interstate 12v, group size 24 deep cycle.  The newer one is a Trojan T-1275, a heavy weight at 85 lbs. but also gives 165 AH of service.  We not not utilize either solar of generator.  When the T-1275 was purchased 8/2020, the price was $ 200 and that was with a trade in. 
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mjlrpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2023 at 5:30pm
Ok, thanks guys. I hate that they don't write all the info on the batteries, and of course the counter people only know how to say " I don't know". They are installed and everything is working good. 

2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
I'll be rpodding
Pod People View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pod People Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2023 at 9:29pm
I agree with Jato.  We have used 2 6v GC2 batteries for the last 5-6 years with good success. We initially bought them from Sam's club because we thought that as we traveled we could easily find a Sam's  most anywhere.

We did in fact have to replace them once under warranty. I think they were Duracell brand. They were ok-better than a single 12v and got us started.

In Jan 2021 we were headed to Florida and the batteries crapped out again-still in warranty. we stopped along the way at a golf cart store and bought 2 Trojan t-105 6v GC2's.  They have 225ah each and have been flawless so far.  As I recall, they were about $160 -165 each. The only issue that I have had is the need to buy a new double battery box and the additional 80+/- pounds of tongue weight.

So, good for you.  I think you have made a wise move going to the GC2's. the fact they they are not maintenance free is NOT a big deal. Just check the water levels and fill with distilled water occasionally.  I try to check once a month, but honestly in almost 2.5 years, I have added a small amount of water only once.  I have cleaned the terminals with baking soda and a stiff brush and check connections for tightness.
Travel safe and often
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2023 at 12:39am
Originally posted by Pod People

So, good for you.  I think you have made a wise move going to the GC2's. the fact they they are not maintenance free is NOT a big deal. Just check the water levels and fill with distilled water occasionally.  I try to check once a month, but honestly in almost 2.5 years, I have added a small amount of water only once.  I have cleaned the terminals with baking soda and a stiff brush and check connections for tightness.
Travel safe and often
Vann

Yes, Yes, maintenance is key for battery longevity!  I do this as well, keep terminals clean with baking soda and check water levels; pretty easy.  Even during the winter here in northern Michigan both batteries had water levels checked and were given a 24 hour 2 amp trickle charge on Nov. 1 and 2 last year.  After that they were placed directly on a concrete floor in an unheated garage where they remain now.  Once/month their voltage level is checked with a multi meter.  As of yesterday the Interstate reads 12.61v and the Trojan is at 12.68v.  As we boondock often, voltage is checked daily, when battery reads 12.2v it is swapped for the other 'fully charged' battery.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mjlrpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2023 at 1:17pm
Thanks for the info. Once I get my 100 watt panel mounted (to make a total of 180 watts) I think I should be able to keep my DC fridge running for about 3 days, 4 with lots of sun. If I want more than that, I would need a new controller. Thats a "next year" project.

2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
I'll be rpodding
gpokluda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2023 at 9:42am
I know a pair of golf cart batteries seems to be the solution of choice for many of the RVers that have been doing this for along time. I’ve never been a fan mostly because of size and weight. Plus, unless you have a sealed battery box setup with proper ventilation, you are stuck mounting them to the tongue thus increasing tongue weight. I know several manufacturers now only offer lithium batteries since they provide the same amp hr in a smaller package and can be securely placed in the coach. Plus initial dollar outlay is coming down. I would look at a lithium setup once these batteries reach end of life in 5-7 years.
Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179(sold 2023)
2022 Escape 5.0TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 3.5EB
Triumph T120
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mjlrpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2023 at 10:05am
The reason I didn't look at Lithium batts (Li4po) is the cost is much higher, and I would have to install a new power box (converter). I just didnt want to go thru all that, and adding expense, if I could make this work. I completely agree with you though, in 5 - 7 (maybe sooner if needed) years I will seriously reevaluate. 
Hey did you ever get your hughes autoformer installed in your new unit? I got mine done, but had to add a power watchdog to it so I could monitor the power thru bluetooth, My autoformer in behind my converter, under the fridge and unseeable. 

2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
I'll be rpodding
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2023 at 11:32am
Originally posted by mjlrpod

The reason I didn't look at Lithium batts (Li4po) is the cost is much higher, and I would have to install a new power box (converter). I just didnt want to go thru all that, and adding expense, if I could make this work. I completely agree with you though, in 5 - 7 (maybe sooner if needed) years I will seriously reevaluate. 
Hey did you ever get your hughes autoformer installed in your new unit? I got mine done, but had to add a power watchdog to it so I could monitor the power thru bluetooth, My autoformer in behind my converter, under the fridge and unseeable. 

Actually, I have the converter module that is suitable for LiFePO4, WF8950L2 MBA. It is available since the Grey Wolf came with an auto-sensing converter, unlike the older models.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>