This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Olympic Peninsula WA

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Olympic Peninsula WA
    Posted: 05 Apr 2023 at 6:22pm
What is the rule for trailers with with propane tanks on the ferries and maybe a spare or two in the TV?  I seem to remember propane tanks being prohibited on the ferries, but that was a zillion years ago.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
bob-Pod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote bob-Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2023 at 4:35am
For Washington State Ferries, the propane tank has to be shut off.  The Blackball Ferry between Port Angeles and Victoria on Vancouver Island says it allow campers motor homes and travel trailers but does not address propane on the website.  I haven't taken BC ferries with the R-pod.
2015 RPOD 178 HRE (2015- ) 2010 RPOD 171 (2009-2015)
2010 Toyota Tacoma Quad Cab
Rpodrrr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rpodrrr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2023 at 9:42pm
I live in Vancouver and take my rpod 172 to the island all the time. Bc ferries asks you ensure you propane is off and they give you a red taped sticker to place across the tank valve that crew checks for on the deck once parked. Super easy! If you’re not into hook ups,Rathtrevor beach is beautiful and has a provincial park and Sani station. Vancouver island has lots of places for trailers to explore.the 172 goes down logging roads to all kinds of lakes. Check out provincial sites near campbell river too as there many lakes for fishing in the area. 
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2023 at 6:28am
Rpodrrr, do they let you carry a couple spare's of propane?  We often travel with three 20 lb. tanks; one on the trailer and two in the back of our truck.  Also, is there an easy website for computer challenged people such as myself, to check out the areas one can camp?
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
Rpodrrr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rpodrrr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2023 at 10:46am
I pull my Trailer with an F150 and it has a canopy on the back. I have one propane tank on the trailer and one propane tank in the back of the pick up truck. Just ask for more of the tape stickers and they will give them to you to put on both tanks.  
Bc ferries has a website for making a reservation so getting on the ferry is much easier, but I would suggest if you do not want to make a reservation just don’t travel on the weekend. There are BC ferries that leave from a place called horseshoe bay and they go to landing just outside of the small city of Nanaimo. From naniamo up the island is most of the camping. I’m so used to living here and venturing i’m so used to living here and venturing around our area that places like Victoria Don’t impress me anymore as I just see it as another city. I will try to look at it from the perspective of a visitor not use.don’t impress me anymore as I just see it as another city. I will try to look at it from the perspective of a visitor never seeing our west coast. Here’s some tips:
Victoria is not for camping with rvs. but offers itself as a tourist town where USA cruise ships land on the way to Alaska. It’s well set up for walking and cycling,exploring shops and has a British influence in pubs and stone buildings. You can find camping outside of the city and bus systems are really good at getting into it.
From Victoria to port Renfrew, there are wonderful beaches with some provincial parks for camping. Provincial parks, and British Columbia can be booked on their website for months in advance of arrival.

For simple way of finding camping use Google Maps. Zoom. In on the area you an Zoom. In on the area you are interested. and type in the search area the word camping.

With out listing them here from Nanaimo up the island there is tons of camping. I would recommend Tofino ( famous for surfing) if you have never seen at West Coast beach as it also travels through a place called Cathedral Grove that has a display of large West Coast trees to walk through. 

Another way to the lower part of the island is the ferry from tswasssen to Swartz bay. BC ferries has been at this a long time and part of the British Columbia highway system. They are extremely well set up and he will have no problems figuring it out. Ferries leave every one and a half hours. often I don’t book a reservation and just show up and I have no problem waiting a little bit to get on the next one. A big recommendation is do not travel on a long weekend as families are always trying to reunite, and the system gets extremely busy.

JohnnyMac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JohnnyMac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2023 at 11:26pm
Originally posted by Pod People

we were in Vancouver, but I'm not sure about Vancouver Island. We did not camp at Vancouver-we parked the Pod and visited friends for a week-mostly tourist places.  We did go to Bouchart Gardens and did a whale watching trip. both were very good and worthy of the time and cost.
I don't remember a ferry-I think we took a bridge from Canada that landed us in Washington. We went to Port Angeles, Hurricane Ridge, Sequim and several other places in north Washington. It was beautiful and the weather was fine.
Travel safe and often
Vann
Oh yeah,....I misread your earlier post and thought you had taken one of the ferries over to Vancouver Island. You were in the "city" of Vancouver which is a short drive north across the border from Bellingham WA where I live. "Vancouver island" is a massive island almost like a country in itself. I really want to go up there, camp and explore the island. You have to take a ferry to get there and it can be quite expensive if you are towing a trailer and I was wondering what it might cost. The olympic Peninsula is also awesome to visit. Glad you had a good time there in Sequim, Hurricane Ridge, etc. WA state is beautiful state to explore when the weather is good. 
JonnyMac
JohnnyMac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JohnnyMac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2023 at 11:31pm
Originally posted by lostagain

What is the rule for trailers with with propane tanks on the ferries and maybe a spare or two in the TV?  I seem to remember propane tanks being prohibited on the ferries, but that was a zillion years ago.
RV travel is very common and of course nearly all RV's have propane tanks. For the most part the rule is that you need to have all propane appliances turned off so there is no active flame burning...(in the event they had some kind of fuel leak or escaping fumes inside ferry where vehicles are parked.) I have never heard of a ferry where the propane tank itself was not allowed on board.  
JonnyMac
john in idaho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote john in idaho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2023 at 10:02am
You have me interested in a journey with the pod.  In the past I have found the I-5 route to be congested beyond belief but the Port Angeles ferry a pleasant jaunt.  Do you have a rough idea on the ferry cost with the pod?
bob-Pod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote bob-Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2023 at 12:56am
Here is a link for the ferry from Port Angeles.  https://www.cohoferry.com/schedule-fares
2015 RPOD 178 HRE (2015- ) 2010 RPOD 171 (2009-2015)
2010 Toyota Tacoma Quad Cab
Rpodrrr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rpodrrr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2023 at 11:55pm
You can estimate you costs on the bc ferries website. FYI they also now have a bc ferries app for the phone to make reservations easier when travelling. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12