R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Voltage Charge problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Marvin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Voltage Charge problem
    Posted: 19 Mar 2023 at 2:42pm
Steven... Good idea... you never know, but that was the first thing I did.  Yes I have all the tools, but sometimes I get so far in the forest I cant see the trees... and going back to your statement... "you wondered about the connection on the lower left. The angle of the red wire there looks like it may be only hanging on by a few strands".   
  It isn't, its solid... but that connector/connection must be bad... it is the only thing left, the wire itself is copper stranded and not pinched or damaged anywhere.

I'll cut off 6" or so and replace that end connector tomorrow and see what happens.   Fortunately I have about 2 feet extra to play with that was left over from the original longer tongue location.
Marv

2019 RP178 Highly Modified
2022 Subaru Outback Wilderness Turbo Charger
Colt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2023 at 3:19pm
My electric tongue jack has one positive and one negative to the battery.  The RV has another + and -.  That's it.  I've added at 12v SAE connector and a solar panel and controller that each add 2 wires.   I recently had the converter replaced with a 55A auto detecting converter, maybe the same one you have and all is well.

I can't imagine why you have so many + wires and only 1 - wire when mine has the same number of each. 
John
'16 R-Pod 180
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2023 at 3:36pm
[QUOTE=Marvin Problem:

I get no change in readings from the battery charging or not.

I get no RV battery power to run lights etc. when shore power is unhooked.

Can you see anything I have missed?

I had this issue a number of years ago on a 177.  Battery read 12.58v (almost fully charged) yet the lights were barely dim.  In that case the culprit was a badly corroded ground cable, it was fine on the battery end, not on the other where it was connected to the pods frame.  Ended up cutting off a few inches on the culprit side, to where the wire was shiny, rehooked everything back up and presto, everything worked fine.

God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Marvin View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Marvin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2023 at 4:21pm
Colt... That's interesting.  I have no idea about the 3rd wire either, unless it comes from the Tow vehicle.  I'll have to ck that out.
Marv

Marvin View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Marvin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2023 at 4:29pm
Jato,

Duh.... Never thought of that possibility.  Easy enough to test.  

Many thanks.

MNSmile
Marv

StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2023 at 5:04pm
As for the jack, it may only have one wire (positive). The negative is grounded by the bolts attaching the jack to the frame. The two wires that were on my RP179 before I added the jack were the battery and solar connections. There were two on the positive and two on the negative terminals. The jack added a third wire to the positive side.

I agree with checking the quality of your ground connection where the battery cable attaches to the frame. The wires from the 7-way connector do not connect directly to the battery. The positive goes to one of those posts in your picture. The negative should be to the frame. I don't have that to check. The new Grey Wolf has an actual junction box underneath. I would need to remove the cover to see how things are connected there. The added thing is the solar panels. I need to figure out the wiring on that also. I intend to replace the PWM solar controller with a Renogy MPPT controller with dual-input so I can also run the vehicle power through it as it also serves as a DC to DC charger.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Marvin View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Marvin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2023 at 5:41pm
Steven, you said a mouth full.  

Yes... that third wire would be from the built in Solar ready plug... which I won't be using.  I'll run my own wires from the roof mounted panels.
Love your idea of running vehicle power through the Renogy MPPT controller with dual-input Solar Charger (my next project).

I plan to put 1-100 Watt panel at each end of the top, hook them in series (24 volts works better than running 12V... less voltage loss), and run the cable down the back side of the slide-out flange and then TBD... may go underneath if I can... sometimes there is a round opening in the middle of the frame to the front.   Home Depot and others have enclosed channeling for wires with sticky on one side.   As you probably know... the Solar panels go to the Solar controller, and the controller goes directly to the Battery or so I have been told by a solar expert.  Spend money... get good panels, some drop voltage to less than 25% if you so much put the shade of your hand over it.   Also... if your running more than one panel your suppose to add a diode so the shade affects only affects that one panel.   I haven't got that far yet and am waiting for my solar expert to get back from his vacation to help me do that right. 

The thing is... I'm in the Great NW and we have mountains with lots of forest with very tall giants that we love to camp in.   At least we usually have shade.  LOL...!!!  We can't win... but we have fun trying.
Marv

jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2023 at 6:11pm
Marv, I hear ya.  Shade is an issue in northern Michigan as well due to our proximity to the great lakes.  Not uncommon during fall - winter - early spring to go a couple weeks without seeing the sun, it decides to 'hibernate' just like a lot of the animals around here.  Not good for those who suffer from SAD, but things are looking better, snow is melting and temps got all the way up to +2 C today!
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2023 at 6:44pm
Originally posted by Marvin

LOL...!!!  We can't win... but we have fun trying.

LOL Exactly! If it isn't fun, why do it?
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Marvin View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Marvin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2023 at 7:08pm
Only a couple of weeks with no sun... you lucky dogs... before the weather went wacky on us here in western WA due to climate change, we only got about 6 weeks of full sun a year... usually all at once.

Oh well.. the solar Panels will make nice conversation pieces around the camp fire. WinkLOLConfusedStarCry
Marv

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>