R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

LifePo4

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote hank*pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LifePo4
    Posted: 07 May 2023 at 7:31pm
Your battery will charge at 14.2 volts or whatever your alternator will provide. It just won't fully charge which requires 14.4 volts.
The real risk is burning out the alternator due to low internal resistance in the battery causing high current demand. The DC-DC converter will limit the current.
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2023 at 10:13pm
A lot depends on the vehicle. With the Nissan Frontier, using the 7-way meant that the trailer battery was being discharged while driving instead of being charged. I had to run a dedicated power circuit to a DC to DC charger in order to charge the battery while driving. I have not been able to test whether the Ford F-150 behaves similarly. I already ran the dedicated charging circuit in the truck but have not had the chance to hook it up. I will do that before leaving on any long trips.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
LB Boozer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote LB Boozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2023 at 11:18pm
I don’t really care about charging from the vehicle on this trip.  I will have a generator and I’m in the southwest so the 190w of solar should be able to keep up with the fridge draw throughout the day.  Just want to make sure I don’t damage my alternator or anything else.  When I get back I will install a dedicated line from the truck and a dc-dc charger.

My alternator is 230 amps and the battery make charge.  With the power wire going back to the trailer being so small I wonder how much it could possible draw.  

Would pulling the 30amp fuse on the trailer power lead in the tow vehicle affect anything else besides not supplying power to the battery?
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2023 at 11:37pm
It should not affect anything else. The trailer battery will work the emergency disconnect. Your solar should be sufficient as you say. For those of us who don't live in places with abundant sunshine, having the ability to charge while driving is important, especially if one goes to places where one can only run generators for very limited hours.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
LB Boozer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote LB Boozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2023 at 10:23pm
Thanks,  I’ll think I’ll try that for this trip and then address this when I get back.  We just sold the R-Pod and have also moved on to a Grey Wolf like yourself.  We already miss the pod and it has only been gone a few hours, but looking forward to the additional space and utility of the new trailer.  

We had the pod dialed in and it’s going to take some time to get the Grey Wolf exactly how we want it.
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2023 at 6:07am
I feel the same way. What model did you get?
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
LB Boozer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote LB Boozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2023 at 7:32am
We went with the 18rr toyhauler.  It’s basically a toyhauler for small toys.  Layout is kind of a blank canvas and I have a lot of ideas.  I like the idea of having all our surfboards, kayaks, etc stored out of sight of potential thieves, especially during mid-trip stops.   Air will also be nice not having to load and unload all grills, pop-ups and other camping supplies that didn’t fit in the pods storage at the end of each trip.  We camp at least once a month all year long so this will save me a lot of time.

My wife really lovesthe ramp patio and larger refrigerator and was really pushing for the new trailer for those features.

StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2023 at 7:58am
I've seen the ramp patios. They are nice. We don't have the toys to haul, so the 24 JS is a good choice for us. I agree about the larger refrigerator.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
EchoGale View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote EchoGale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2023 at 9:47am
I also feel this way. I miss the Rpod a lot. I'm learning to love the Lance but I'm not there yet. The new battery/solar set-up helps. So much less work than before! Also the ducted heating and insulated undercarriage are great. One morning when I got up on my trip to Maine, it was 37 and freezing rain in the Pennsylvania mountains. Inside the camper I couldn't even tell.

But every little thig: where to stand to lift the dog out of the camper? How that new fangled coupler works, how to pull out those damn steps.  lol

Still love the pod.  :)
Julie
LB Boozer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote LB Boozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2023 at 10:41am
We were looking at the Lance’s also.  I had a Lance truck camper for many years that I absolutely loved and it was nice that they are made only 40 miles away s from home.  What model did you end up getting?  I was thinking long and hard about the Lance 2075, I really like that lay-out.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>