R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

LifePo4

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LifePo4
    Posted: 23 Apr 2023 at 3:17pm
Hello David,

I looked up the WF 8735-AD. Here is what it says:

"WFCO’s proven WF-8735-AD Power Center offers an industry-first, Auto-Detect technology. This new microprocessor-driven technology will recognize lithium-ion and lead-acid battery chemistries and automatically adjust the charging profile to match the battery type."

So, it is a qualified yes. The converter will not have a problem. Solar would not be an issue. The only issue is in charging while driving. "Smart" alternators won't work as they will think the tow vehicle's battery is charged because of the higher voltage of the LiFePO4 battery and cut the charging. That will mean your house battery will be supplying power so you arrive with your battery lower than when you started. You do need to use a DC to DC charger or equivalent to both isolate the house battery from your starting battery and to have the correct charging profile for the LiFePO4 battery if you install one.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
LB Boozer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote LB Boozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2023 at 5:49pm
When you refer to “smart” alternators what exactly are you referring to and how would one know if they have a “smart “ alternator?  Our TV is a 2007 1/2 ton truck so don’t know if they were using what you refer to as smart alternators yet.  If one did not have a smart alternator and is not really concerned with charging from tow vehicle (plenty of solar and battery capacity), could one just replace the La batt with Lifepo as long as the converter and solar charge controllers were compatible?
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2023 at 6:08pm
Originally posted by LB Boozer

When you refer to “smart” alternators what exactly are you referring to and how would one know if they have a “smart “ alternator?  Our TV is a 2007 1/2 ton truck so don’t know if they were using what you refer to as smart alternators yet.  If one did not have a smart alternator and is not really concerned with charging from tow vehicle (plenty of solar and battery capacity), could one just replace the La batt with Lifepo as long as the converter and solar charge controllers were compatible?
Your vehicle specifications should let you know. I think any newer vehicle would have a "smart" alternator. The 2010 Frontier did and the 2018 F-150 does. The older alternators put out a constant voltage. The "smart" ones adjust it so that it does not place the same load on the engine when the starting battery is charged. This will help explain the difference:

StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Hood View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Hood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2023 at 7:05pm
Thanks Stephen!
I am driving a 2005 tacoma so would guess I don't have a smart alternator.  I had read the newer WFCO s adjust to the LiFePO4 but had seen a post on a different site were someone had a problem, so wanted to reach out before putting one in.   When it comes to electricity i'm almost as green as r poding which consist of two months Smile.  
David
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2023 at 7:46pm
Before assuming that your Tacoma has a standard and not a smart alternator, check with a local Toyota dealer. They should be able to tell you. I don't know.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
EchoGale View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote EchoGale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2023 at 7:54pm
One more update: I've been traveling for ten days without access to electrical hookup. I couldn't be happier with my new batter set up. I went with the Renogy 100AH despite the price. 

One at the higher price was fine (I needed batteries so I was going to spend 2-300 anyway so 475 wasn't much more)-- but I was afraid I'd decide to add a second and that would have been too much.

As it turns out the new camper's rooftop solar panels easily top off the daily usage (which is only about 15%)--even on this stretch of rainy days we've had on the east coast. I definitely don't need a second battery.

Such an upgrade from my old system: 2 golf cart batteries (heavy!) where I was always pulling to boxes apart to chef the charge level and hauling around my heavy portable solar panel to keep them charged up...not to mention maintenance. 

It's a sweet setup. Thanks again for the advice while I was figuring it out.  :)
Julie
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2023 at 8:09pm
Congratulations on a successful installation Julie! I am happy that it is working well for you.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
LB Boozer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote LB Boozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2023 at 11:25pm
Originally posted by EchoGale

One more update: I've been traveling for ten days without access to electrical hookup. I couldn't be happier with my new batter set up. I went with the Renogy 100AH despite the price. 

One at the higher price was fine (I needed batteries so I was going to spend 2-300 anyway so 475 wasn't much more)-- but I was afraid I'd decide to add a second and that would have been too much.

As it turns out the new camper's rooftop solar panels easily top off the daily usage (which is only about 15%)--even on this stretch of rainy days we've had on the east coast. I definitely don't need a second battery.

Such an upgrade from my old system: 2 golf cart batteries (heavy!) where I was always pulling to boxes apart to chef the charge level and hauling around my heavy portable solar panel to keep them charged up...not to mention maintenance. 

It's a sweet setup. Thanks again for the advice while I was figuring it out.  :)

Did you install a DC to DC charger or just drop the battery in place of the LA battery without other modifications?

EchoGale View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote EchoGale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2023 at 11:12am
For my set-up I was able to just switch out the batteries but I have a newer camper with a controller capable of recognizing the battery type automatically.
Julie
LB Boozer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote LB Boozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2023 at 3:05pm
Thanks.  We are picking up our new trailer Thursday and it is compatible with LI batteries, I was just concerned with the battery draining during transit when connected to the 7-pin.  I tested my truck and believe it is not a “smart” alternator but need to confirm with Dodge this week.  I will eventually run a dedicated run with a DC-DC charger but we already had a trip planned before we pulled the trigger on the new trailer and I only have a few evenings to swap the batteries, go through and check/tighten all the plumbing and electrical and pack it for the trip, so not sure I want to ad that to the list before we leave. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>