R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

LifePo4

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LifePo4
    Posted: 20 Mar 2023 at 11:11am
It would be nice if vehicle batteries started coming with LFP batteries.

Secondarily, it would be nice if vehicles cam with 48V battery systems. I know Tesla is switching to 48V for all internal systems (separate from the motors). This may become a trend because it allows you to eliminate a lot of copper (which weighs a lot).
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2023 at 1:18pm
I think one reason is that it is hard to control the external environment. LiFePO4 batteries do not like to charge below 32F (0C). For a battery to be used in a vehicle, there would need to be a way to warm the battery in freezing environments. Likewise, they don't like getting too hot. I've read enough stories of battery powered vehicles bursting into flame. For the time being, lead-acid batteries are still safer for use as starting batteries. That may change as newer battery technologies become available.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
EchoGale View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote EchoGale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2023 at 6:14pm
Thanks for the new  round of comments. The BMS in one of these lower prices off-brand batteries comes with the ability to warm itself and that is of great interest to me because I do camp in temps between the low 20s and freezing. How worried do I need to be  about my whole camper bursting into flames???? (STEPHEN!!!!)
Julie
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2023 at 8:36pm
I don't think you have to worry. LiFePO4 batteries are much better than Lithium Ion batteries used in vehicles. I believe the one I bought does have the ability to self-warm. Here are the operating temperatures for the one I am using:

Charge 0C-50C (32F-122F)
Discharge -20C-60C (04F-140F)
Storage -10C-50C (14F-122F)

Unless you are camping in Death Valley in the summer, I don't think you will have a problem with heat. As for cold weather use, you can mount it inside since it doesn't put off fumes. Given that these cost a lot, having it inside is also better protection against theft. Mine is inside of a locked metal Harbor Freight tongue box that is U-bolted to the A frame. I do have some foam padding for insulation. I have had no problem with using it when it was inside under the bed in our RP-179. 

This site has a good comparison and may help ease your mind.

StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 10:28am
Originally posted by StephenH

I think one reason is that it is hard to control the external environment. LiFePO4 batteries do not like to charge below 32F (0C). For a battery to be used in a vehicle, there would need to be a way to warm the battery in freezing environments. Likewise, they don't like getting too hot. I've read enough stories of battery powered vehicles bursting into flame. For the time being, lead-acid batteries are still safer for use as starting batteries. That may change as newer battery technologies become available.

LFP batteries do not have the fire risk of the various "Lithium Ion" batteries. From all the things I've read, they appear to be as safe as lead acid.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
EchoGale View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote EchoGale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 10:32am
That's a helpful article  :)

I wasn't that worried and was mostly teasing you.
Julie
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 1:44pm
I wasn't worried about my LiFePO4 battery although one of the videos I looked at indicated that they can swell up and put off fumes if (way) overcharged or if physically punctured. They don't burst into flames unless heated with a blowtorch. I don't think anyone would be deliberately doing those things, so they are quite safe.

StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
EchoGale View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote EchoGale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2023 at 11:00am
An update on my battery project: I went with the Renogy 100AH Lifepo4 battery. It was more expensive that the brands on amazon but I've had good experience with the company and given the limits of my expertise, if I have a problem I wanted to minimize the number of things to be concerned about.

The install was simple and everything went as I hoped and it's charging properly with my solar panels.

It's slightly bigger than the group 24 battery I had, so I needed to use a bigger box that doesn't fit as well.  I'm not thrilled with the positioning of it but I'll likely move the battery inside at some point anyway.

Thanks for all the help everyone.

Julie
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2023 at 6:04pm
Congratulations Julie on getting your LiFePO4 battery and getting it installed.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Hood View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Hood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2023 at 1:56pm
I have been following these posts, very helpful.   Been looking at LiFeP04 batteries.  thought this might be better choice than adding additional solar to the 110 panel I have.  I have a new r pod with WFCO WF 8735-AD and wonder if I can just replace my wet battery without additional conversions to my electrical system?  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>