R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

LifePo4

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
jato View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LifePo4
    Posted: 10 May 2023 at 7:14pm
Originally posted by gpokluda

Jato, you need to give that battery a name soon. At this rate it will be able to apply for its own driver's license! Tongue

How about "Die Hard?"  Rats, that name is already taken!LOL
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
gpokluda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2023 at 4:58pm
Originally posted by jato

Here we are owning the same 177 for over 12 years, in fact the oldest 12v battery turned 12 years old last month, we boondock a lot and both batteries get used a lot as well.  No solar, no generator, no A/C and no microwave/convection.  Simple, functional, we go anywhere/everywhere we wish to go - result is lots of memories made.

Jato, you need to give that battery a name soon. At this rate it will be able to apply for its own driver's license! Tongue
Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179(sold 2023)
2022 Escape 5.0TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 3.5EB
Triumph T120
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2023 at 7:19am
If you stay  in places where the temperatures are moderate, then the A/C would be optional. If you stay where the temperatures push 100F and higher during the day and don't drop much at night, especially when the humidity is very high, you might not think that the A/C is optional. I agree about the microwave/convection oven. It can be useful, but it isn't strictly needed as cooking can be done the old fashioned way on a stove, either internal or camp. A folding Coleman oven can take care of baking needs as well.

In our case, we do need power to run medical equipment. I am glad to have a refrigerator that will reliably cool, even if it does mean that I need solar or a generator to keep the battery sufficiently charged to run everything. We don't have an inverter in the Grey Wolf. That is something I am pretty sure we can do without.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2023 at 11:52pm
Here we are owning the same 177 for over 12 years, in fact the oldest 12v battery turned 12 years old last month, we boondock a lot and both batteries get used a lot as well.  No solar, no generator, no A/C and no microwave/convection.  Simple, functional, we go anywhere/everywhere we wish to go - result is lots of memories made.

God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
LB Boozer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote LB Boozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2023 at 11:34pm
I was eying the Escape fifth wheel also.  I love their construction..My wife was a no go with the wet bath.   She got spoiled with the 189,with dry bath, and was not about to go back.   
gpokluda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2023 at 5:11pm
We loved our Rpod 179 the 6 years we had it. That said, it is a distant memory and we don't miss it now that we have switched over to the Escape 5.0. We thought we would really miss not having the space in the truck bed with 5th wheel hitch sitting in there, but it hasn't been an issue for us. 

Like other things in life, the Rpod served its purpose. It met our needs and then the time came for it and us to move on to new adventures.
Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179(sold 2023)
2022 Escape 5.0TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 3.5EB
Triumph T120
LB Boozer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote LB Boozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2023 at 10:41am
We were looking at the Lance’s also.  I had a Lance truck camper for many years that I absolutely loved and it was nice that they are made only 40 miles away s from home.  What model did you end up getting?  I was thinking long and hard about the Lance 2075, I really like that lay-out.
EchoGale View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote EchoGale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2023 at 9:47am
I also feel this way. I miss the Rpod a lot. I'm learning to love the Lance but I'm not there yet. The new battery/solar set-up helps. So much less work than before! Also the ducted heating and insulated undercarriage are great. One morning when I got up on my trip to Maine, it was 37 and freezing rain in the Pennsylvania mountains. Inside the camper I couldn't even tell.

But every little thig: where to stand to lift the dog out of the camper? How that new fangled coupler works, how to pull out those damn steps.  lol

Still love the pod.  :)
Julie
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2023 at 7:58am
I've seen the ramp patios. They are nice. We don't have the toys to haul, so the 24 JS is a good choice for us. I agree about the larger refrigerator.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
LB Boozer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote LB Boozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2023 at 7:32am
We went with the 18rr toyhauler.  It’s basically a toyhauler for small toys.  Layout is kind of a blank canvas and I have a lot of ideas.  I like the idea of having all our surfboards, kayaks, etc stored out of sight of potential thieves, especially during mid-trip stops.   Air will also be nice not having to load and unload all grills, pop-ups and other camping supplies that didn’t fit in the pods storage at the end of each trip.  We camp at least once a month all year long so this will save me a lot of time.

My wife really lovesthe ramp patio and larger refrigerator and was really pushing for the new trailer for those features.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>