R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

battery disconnect switch

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote john in idaho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: battery disconnect switch
    Posted: 18 Feb 2023 at 9:15am
finally got a battery disconnect switch.  for what may be a really stupid question, is it important that it go on the neg pole of the battery, or the pos?  Embarrassed
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2023 at 10:08am
Yes.

Seriously, I was taught to disconnect negative first and connect it last. However, I have read good reasons for having it on the positive side, so that is where mine is.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2023 at 11:08am
The entire frame of the trailer is negative, so I would be inclined to disconnect the positive. It may not make too much difference, but I'm happy to hear other opinions.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2023 at 2:19pm
Interesting topic.  I am old school and simply take my 1/2" wrench to disconnect the ground, takes maybe 15 seconds but that is probably 14 seconds longer than having a simple disconnect switch.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tars Tarkas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2023 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by GlueGuy

The entire frame of the trailer is negative, so I would be inclined to disconnect the positive. It may not make too much difference, but I'm happy to hear other opinions.

The frame is only negative when it's electrically connected to the negative side of the battery. 

I've heard different things too about which way to go.  Traditionally, I think disconnecting the negative side is the story.  I believe NASCAR calls for the positive, but I'm not sure.  I leave my pod hooked up to 120v at home and don't use a switch.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
Rpod-Couple View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rpod-Couple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2023 at 7:08pm
Forest River puts their disconnect on the positive terminal. Your 12Vdc fuses in the breaker panel are on the 12V positive terminal.

This is also consistent with your home breaker panel main breaker and branch breakers which disconnect the AC hot line but leaves neutral/ground always connected.
Steve & Elaine
2021 R-pod
2023 VW Atlas Cross Sport
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tars Tarkas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2023 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by Rpod-Couple

Forest River puts their disconnect on the positive terminal. Your 12Vdc fuses in the breaker panel are on the 12V positive terminal.

This is also consistent with your home breaker panel main breaker and branch breakers which disconnect the AC hot line but leaves neutral/ground always connected.

I didn't know FR did battery disconnects, but of course the fuses/breakers are on the positive side.  The negative is provided through the frame.

And AC and DC are apples and oranges in this discussion.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
Colt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2023 at 8:57pm
Mine was and I reinstalled the replacement in the positive lead.  
John
'16 R-Pod 180
 Post Reply Post Reply