R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Upgrade converter to inverter/charger

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote FreeRangePod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Upgrade converter to inverter/charger
    Posted: 15 Feb 2023 at 8:27am
My WFCO WF-8955 converter in my 2016 RPod 178 is no longer working. I boondock a lot and not strong enough to wrangle a generator. I never use the TV and rarely the microwave. But I want to use the toaster and pod coffee pot every morning. What Inverter/ Charger can I replace my converter with to power the wall outlets? My coffee maker needs peak of 1460 watts. 
FreeRangePod
2016 RPod 178
2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2023 at 1:18pm
That would be a bodacious inverter to supply ~~ 1500 watts of power. The amperage would be in the neighborhood of 125 amps, which would require at least 1 AWG wire on the DC side (larger even, depending on the type of wire).
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
gpokluda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2023 at 5:13pm
Not unheard of, though. Ours has a 1500watt inverter and I have seen 2000 and 3000watt inverters in some trailers the same size as the Rpod. Anything is doable given plenty of time and money.
Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179(sold 2023)
2022 Escape 5.0TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 3.5EB
Triumph T120
FreeRangePod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote FreeRangePod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2023 at 8:40am
Do you have pictures and/or instructions on how your 1500w inverter is installed?

That would be awesome

Thank you 
FreeRangePod
2016 RPod 178
2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee
gpokluda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2023 at 12:02pm
Hi FreeRangePod. Installing the inverter is quite easy. The Renogy 1000watt inverter I had in my Rpod 179 came with good instructions and there are a pile of YouTube videos out there that will also help. The 1500 GoPower inverter in our new RV was installed at the factory and is similarly installed.

The hard part of installing an inverter is to first understand your power needs and then to determine if you have enough battery to meet those needs.

For instance, we wanted to be able to charge our electronic devices (laptops and phones) and make a couple of pots of coffee (4cup 500watt). We were limited to two, group 24 lead acid (90ah of useable power), deep cycle batteries. What limited us was space and our charger/converter which was not lithium compatible. So our 1000w Renogy worked for those needs given the battery power available. 

Our new trailer has a 1500w inverter, lithium compatible charger/converter and 400ah of lithium power. We can run anything we want  aside from the AC because of the battery capacity.

So, in summary, installing the inverter is easy but you first have to understand how much battery you have available and if that is enough to supply your needs.
Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179(sold 2023)
2022 Escape 5.0TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 3.5EB
Triumph T120

Post Options Post Options   Quote FreeRangePod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2023 at 7:44am
So Gpokluda you left your converter/ charger and added an inverter? Since my converter is no longer working, I want to not use a converter at all. I watched a video where they rewired the charger breaker for inverter and ran wires from it to a inverter/charger behind the panel, installed under a bed. The back of my panel is the bathroom in a RPod 178. So I’m trying to figure out where to install the inverter charger.
FreeRangePod
2016 RPod 178
2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2023 at 8:00am
Hello FreeRangePod,

I did a quick search on Amazon and found this:

There were others as well, but one like this might do what you want. I just use a smaller inverter for the few times I need one. Coffee can be made on the gas stove and in a pinch, so can toast with a stove-top toaster. Making toast in a frying pan or on a griddle also works well. Changing from a converter to an inverter/charger would also necessitate other changes. With any significant size inverter, you would likely need more battery power which means upgrading from the single lead-acid battery to either two GC-2 batteries wired in series or going with a LiFePO4 battery. Make sure you understand your power needs before making the leap.l
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS

Post Options Post Options   Quote FreeRangePod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2023 at 8:29am
My converter/charger was 55 amps. So I would need the inverter/ charger that replaced it to be 55 amp also? 
Any thoughts on where to locate the inverter/ charger in a RPod 178? I wish there was one that could fit the same place as the converter, but it looks like too small a place. 
I currently have 2 lead acid batteries, but they are 2018 so ready to replace/upgrade. 
FreeRangePod
2016 RPod 178
2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2023 at 8:47am
Remember that the converter is doing two things:  Supplying 12V power to the RPod and charging the battery. An inverter/charger is doing much more. In addition to charging the battery, it is also monitoring the AC power input and when that is disconnected, transferring to battery/inverter power to keep your AC items running, much like an uninterruptible power supply for your computer. It much be much bigger to do these things. You would need  to find a different mounting point for an inverter/charger. In my case, I think there would be adequate space behind the power panel if I were to do that. However, I haven't found a need to have an inverter running. Given, I do carry a generator for when we are traveling and don't have shore power available and I want to run the AC or the microwave. Neither would be suitable to run on an inverter anyway, not in the RPod at least. A motor home with lots of room to carry a large battery bank, perhaps, but not the RPod.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
gpokluda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2023 at 8:36am
Originally posted by FreeRangePod

So Gpokluda you left your converter/ charger and added an inverter? Since my converter is no longer working, I want to not use a converter at all. I watched a video where they rewired the charger breaker for inverter and ran wires from it to a inverter/charger behind the panel, installed under a bed. The back of my panel is the bathroom in a RPod 178. So I’m trying to figure out where to install the inverter charger.

Hi FRP, I wired the inverter as close as possible to my batteries, which meant locating it in the front storage area. My charger/converter, which is located on the other end of the trailer on a 179, was working fine so I left it in place.

Apologies, I missed the part where your charger converter wasn't working in your situation. 

Best of luck
Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179(sold 2023)
2022 Escape 5.0TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 3.5EB
Triumph T120
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>