R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

tow hitch height

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote EchoGale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: tow hitch height
    Posted: 05 Feb 2023 at 4:52pm
Pod is sold and I'm picking up the new camper next weekend and I'm trying to make sure I am set up properly. 

I made sure TV was level and measured from the top of my tow ball to the ground (19.25"). The tow ball is on a 3/4" riser so that's really 18.5. New trailer tongue is 23" high so I calculate I need a 4.5" lift. My Anderson WDH can be adjusted up to much as 4" (and as I understand it a little lower in the front is better than a little higher, right? Would someone please check my logic and my math, please? 

Also, it occurs to me that when lowered onto the hitch the TV will drop a bit from the weight. Anyone know how to account for that? 

I can order a riser for the Anderson that adjusts to 8" though I'd rather not, its heavier, expensive and I can't get it quickly enough anyway. Alternatively I can just pick up a basic hitch with a 5" or even 6" riser. Advice?

Julie
Julie
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2023 at 7:06pm
Julie, if you have an Anderson WHD, then read the manual very carefully to understand what you need to do for the weight distribution adjustments.  If you are unsure, hire someone with experience to do it for you.  Based on what you wrote it sounds like the top of the hitch ball is about 19" from the ground, with the trailer tongue socket at about 23" leaving about a 4" difference.  If your Anderson WHD has 4" of adjustment in it, you may be fine with it.  The manual's instructions will let you know what you need for the height of the top of the hitch ball.  Yes, you'll get some rear end sag from the weight of the trailer when you attach it, but a properly adjusted WHD will adequately correct it when you adjust the tension on the WHD chains.  Here's a video showing the set up:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXScZUEVcrc
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2023 at 8:01pm
Julie, Good advice from LA above.  Yes a bit lower in front is good.  In our case the front is 1.5 inches lower than the rear.  In addition, once you get your trailer, fill it as though you are going on a trip (add water,  + weight for essentials you normally bring) then go to your county garage and get it weighed.  County garage will usually do this for free.  Once you obtain that you want to make sure you have 11% or more of that total weight on the tongue to reduce/eliminate sway.   In our case, a fully loaded 177 with 36 gallons of water weighs in at 2940 lbs, so multiply that times .11 and you arrive at 323 lbs; this is what you want for a minimum on your tongue.  I purchased a Sherline scale a few years ago off eBay for $ 109 and that included shipping.  It has been used numerous times at R-Pod rallies as well as at campgrounds, it is amazing how many people don't have any idea what their tongue weight is yet have issues about sway.  BTW enlighten us as to what 'flavor' your new trailer is and how you arrived at your decision.  Thanks
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
EchoGale View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote EchoGale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2023 at 7:57am
Thanks to you both. the video was vey helpful. I did pay someone to put the Anderson on the pod but having removed it from there and having used it for four years (and with the video assist) I think I can do it.

Jato, if you would, could you please tell me what a "county garage" is? And, in answer to your question. I am buying a 2022 lance 1475. I wanted the better quality build and the (albeit limited) 4-season  functionality. I am very sad to let the pod go. I've loved that camper and I had made it rather charming inside. the shape of the pod and the 172 floor plan gave me lots of options to do that. The Lance is beautiful but it'll never be "cute."  :)
Julie
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2023 at 9:42am
Not sure what jato meant either but I weigh my rig at the county waste transfer station scale. Go when it's not busy and ask nice. Tell them you need the weight with and without the trailer so you'll be unhitching and going through twice. Get the combined weight of the two tow vehicle axles (not including the trailer axle) with and without the trailer. The difference is the tongue weight. Don't have the wdh tensioned when you weigh.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
EchoGale View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote EchoGale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2023 at 9:54am
Thanks, I googled exactly those words  wiht the name of my county and don't find anything named that??
Julie
JR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2023 at 3:13pm
Up in Michigan each county has a Road Commission that takes care of the county's roads like plowing the snow and repairing the pot holes and maintaining all the county roads not the state's roads.  The state roads are maintained by the DOT the state's Department of Transportation.  What Jato was referring to I am sure when he said go "to your county garage" is that most of the County Road Commissions garages have a scale that is large enough to weigh your tow vehicle and trailer.  Hope this helps.
Jay

179/2019
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2023 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by JR

Up in Michigan each county has a Road Commission that takes care of the county's roads like plowing the snow and repairing the pot holes and maintaining all the county roads not the state's roads.  The state roads are maintained by the DOT the state's Department of Transportation.  What Jato was referring to I am sure when he said go "to your county garage" is that most of the County Road Commissions garages have a scale that is large enough to weigh your tow vehicle and trailer.  Hope this helps.

Oops, sorry Julie.  Michigan is a distance from Florida and what my neighbor JR, who is south of me, states that the county garage is indeed the County Road Commission and I am sure you have those in Florida as well.  As OG suggests, ask nice, they are nice people and would be surprised if they didn't help you out in this endeavor.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
 Post Reply Post Reply