R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Refrigerator vent cover leak

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Refrigerator vent cover leak
    Posted: 05 Feb 2023 at 5:40am
Thought I'd post this here in case it's helpful to someone on their rpod.

When I removed the steel sheet that surrounded the Onan generator in my Chinook, which sits just below the fridge, I found to my surprise and dismay that I had a concealed water leak from my fridge access door. If you look at the way that Dometic designed that door it's no big surprise, there is no lip or dam at the bottom to prevent water getting in and running down inside the walls.

This is going to be worse in a fiberglas RV like the Chinook that has outer walls that taper upwards, but blowing rain would do the same thing on a vertical wall I think.

I'm probably going to build up a lower inside lip out of something and also place a drip shield above the access door but I thought I'd bring it to this forums attention because I think rpods use the same stupid fridge door design.

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2023 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by offgrid

I'm probably going to build up a lower inside lip out of something and also place a drip shield above the access door but I thought I'd bring it to this forums attention because I think rpods use the same stupid fridge door design.

Indeed, it is the same door design.  When I replaced a 10 yr. old Dometic model 8501 fridge in a 177 two + years ago, it was noted that there would likely be a lot of wet mushy wood under that area when the fridge was removed.  It was a pleasant surprise that upon removal, the luan under the door area was just as pristine in condition as all the other wood in the enclosure, including both vertical walls as well as the ceiling. 

One thing done before installing the new fridge was to paint all the wood in that interior area white, looks so much brighter in there now, and sure nobody sees it but me, but much easier to find stuff in case something gets dropped.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2023 at 3:56pm
Thanks jato

I've checked a few other forums today and apparently the problem I'm having effects the fiberglas RVs which have sloping sides much more often than the flat sided ones.The Chinook, Escape, and Casita forums all have posts on it.

Makes sense I guess. A marginal design that is pushed over the edge of failure by a slight tilt. OTOH even a flat sided RV gets parked sideways on a slope sometimes.

Most of the fixes seem to involve creating a dam inside the bottom edge of the door. Seems so obvious. I can't believe Domestic wouldn't just design it that way in the first place, but then there seems to be a lot of crummy design in the RV world.

Anyhow I've applied heat and gotten things pretty well dried out now. it's interesting that the water worked it's way down the walls supporting the fridge base to the floor and it's the lower walls and floor in that area that were damaged, not the base the fridge itself which I can see has been wet but apparently dries out quickly.

The damage isnt that extensive so my plan is to repair it with g/flex epoxy, which is both flexible and bonds well even to damp materials.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2023 at 4:20pm
Are the walls on your fridge enclosure fiberglass?  Am not familiar with your setup on the Concourse.  Also will the g/flex epoxy give a water proof or resistant surface?

Am thinking that you didn't have major damage in that only a small amount of moisture would escape each time the fridge door was opened and also with most likely 2 vents behind the fridge, you probably have a decent amount of air circulation, especially when traveling at mach 2!
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2023 at 5:35am
The interior walls are all wood, only the shell is fibreglass. I was only planning to use the gflex epoxy to repair wood damage, not to encase the whole fridge.

I considered whether the wet might have come from condensation from the fridge itself but it hasn't seen much recent use so I doubt it. Then I read about many folks having water getting in that poorly designed access door.

There was little air circulation down at the bottom because the Onan generator was located there and it was completely enclosed in a fire resistant sheet metal box. The damage was only visible after I cut that up and got it out of there to make room for a window a/c. It will get a lot better chance to dry out going forward.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply