R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > Non-pod Discussion Forums > Mods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Tire replacement - Event Date: 18 Jan 2023

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Tire replacement
    Posted: 22 Jan 2023 at 8:17am
Sophistry??? I'm not the one who said: "My recommendation is to forget the brand. Ive taken a couple graduate level marketing courses. Buying anything by brand is a shortcut consumers afraid of making a mistake take when they don't have enough actual information to make an informed decision. Companies know that very well and play on those fears."  "Anything" is a pretty broad brush to denounce the idea of the possibility that some brands have higher quality than others.  It may actually be possible that some companies value their reputation in the marketplace and pay attention to high quality.  

I am also a fan of Craigslist and use it from time to time.  My point is that it isn't a panacea for selling used stuff.  I can't speak to FaceBook as I never look at it, though the last time I sold a washer on Craigslist, some acquaintances told me that there was more action on FaceBook.  I turned down the full price offers and requests for my email address.

We agree that Consumer Reports can be a good source of product information.  Usually, because I'm one cheap bastard, the paywall blocks me from using it as a resource.  Do they actually have a review of ST trailer tires in the last few years?  I saw one with Forbes, but turned out to be more marketing with links to tire vendors, which make me a little suspicious of their claims. 

I'm glad to hear that you found a good deal on replacement trailer tires many years ago.  Sometimes things change over time and it's always helpful to do a little homework than to take representations found on social media at face value, certainly including mine.  It isn't an issue of arguing with you, it's a matter of wanting to help out with answering a legitimate question about tire purchasing, which is one of the points of posting on this board.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2023 at 8:47am
Yet again LA you're putting words in my mouth. I never said that all brands or models within a brand are equivalent. That's absurd.

I just bought a GM product with trepidation after decades of owning Toyotas. But I had both direct and 3rd party model specific data supporting my choice of the Toyotas.

I'll stick with why statement. Buying by brand, rather than via actual 3rd party data, is a short cut for consumers motivated primarily by fear of making a mistake. Ask any trained marketing professional and I'm sure they'll say the same thing.

Nothing inherently wrong with that, I do it too sometimes. We all do. No one has time to research every purchase they make. You have to pick your battles and dig into the big and or key purchases that really matter to you.

For the rest of it, what I try to do for my shortcut is to buy the least expensive item that has the specs or features I need, ignoring brand. That process has worked out quite well for me over the years and doesn't really take any longer than just buying the recognized brand. But if you want to use the brand shortcut instead, that's fine. Nothing wrong with that, as Ive said 5 times at least.

Ive noticed more activity on FB Marketplace than CL lately as well. Can't say there's any difference in the number of scammers and tire kickers though.

Which alternative is cheaper depends on your particular situation. There is no way to know without looking into it. I needed a 15 inch upgrade and mounting was expensive where I was living at that time. Lots of old boat trailers around so a ready market for used mounted trailer tires. So I was way ahead doing what I did. Probably that hadn't changed with time.

If you don't need new wheels, have a Walmart nearby that does cheap mounting, and you can buy the tires on their website and have them shipped to the store then that could well be cheaper.

In fact that's what I did a few weeks ago for my Highlander.

But I didn't buy high end brand name tires for it either. There was 3rd party data available so I got a Kumho model which got a good rating on CU at a good price point.   

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2023 at 11:37am
Beating A Dead Horse Funny Sticker - Beating A Dead Horse ...  I guess I can't post a beating a dead horse meme here.  Confused
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2023 at 11:49am
Originally posted by lostagain

Beating A Dead Horse Funny Sticker - Beating A Dead Horse ...  I guess I can't post a beating a dead horse meme here.  Confused
I'll do it for you.

bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2023 at 1:13pm
THANK YOU!!!
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2023 at 2:08pm
I'm definitely not gonna show that to my wife or her horse, one of them might be offended.

And LA, maybe when someone quotes one of my posts asking for my response, you might want to just leave your club holstered when I respond with my opinion, and simply state your own if you disagree. All of this is just opinion after all, and Im sure the folks on here can do their own filtering. The shrinking horse population will be most grateful...

1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2023 at 2:38pm
No, really. | Beating A Dead Horse | Know Your Meme
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2023 at 6:05pm
OG and LA, too bad you aren't neighbors.  I do like both pics of beating a dead horse though.  And even my wife thought they were funny; we had horses for a long time and are still alive to talk about it.  But now that we are in our 60's we have gotten wiser and value our  . . . . . lives and limbs.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2023 at 4:18am
Actually, LA and I have lots in common. Which, being old and opinionated, just makes us more argumentative about the things we disagree on. Such is human nature.

I keep telling my wife about the equestrian dangers every time she goes riding.

But then, she reminds me that I fly an experimental aircraft. So that puts a quick end to that discussion..

The problem I have with horses is that you have there a huge powerful animal that thinks everything it sees is trying to eat it. Makes them unpredictable. I really wish our riding animals had been bread up from dogs or some other omnivore that wasn't so fearful all the time. That would be safer I think. The original horse was dog sized after all.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2023 at 11:01am
This is part of my morning entertainment; dead animals and all.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>