R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

2kw remote electric start generator

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2kw remote electric start generator
    Posted: 16 Jan 2023 at 3:50am
Came across this product while doing a search for a generator to replace the huge noisy cantankerous  Onan 4k in my Chinook. First time I've seen a 2kw electric start  used a regular Ryobi plug in battery. BT remote. Looks pretty cool and should run an rpod just fine if you have an easy start on your a/c. Anyone here tried one yet?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-ONE-18V-Bluetooth-2-300-Watt-Starting-Electric-Start-Gasoline-Powered-Digital-Inverter-Generator-with-CO-Shutdown-RYI2322EVNM/309391701

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Colt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2023 at 4:04pm
Good find!
John
'16 R-Pod 180
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2023 at 4:41am
Looks like besides starting and stopping the BT app tells you how much fuel you have left and how much longer the gen will run based on current load. Pretty nice. I might eventually get one if I can figure out how to use my existing Onan generator fuel line to safely feed it from the main fuel tank. There is a fuel pump on that line already so maybe I could add a concealed switch and use it as a transfer pump to the Ryobi? 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
gpokluda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2023 at 9:58am
At 57lbs it is manageable to be lifting out of a truck bed as well. I was looking for a 2300 to replace my two Champion 2K Cube style generators. Thanks for posting.
Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179(sold 2023)
2022 Escape 5.0TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 3.5EB
Triumph T120
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2023 at 2:01pm
Just note that it's only rated at 1800 continuous watts. Ryobi isn't being conservative either. I saw a video where the guy loaded it to just over 1800 and it cut out after a few seconds. 1800 will run a 13.5k btu a/c though, at least at lower altitudes, but you'll probably need an easy start on the a/c. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote David and Danette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2023 at 5:13am
  We have a Champion 3100 inverter generator remote start for some reason I think it has been discontinued perhaps just for a newer designed model. It is heavy at 96 pounds but having the remote feature has been convenient I just need to remember to turn off the battery switch when not in use or the battery will go dead. It has a swing up handle and wheels for transporting but is too heavy for me to lift into our truck for camping so I use ramps to roll it up into the truck. This last camping trip I decided to buy a lighter 47 pound more fuel efficient generator a Westinghouse 2500 generator. I am able to lift it in and out of the truck and it operates everything in our camper with a 2200 watt continuous power. I noticed at the campgrounds we camped at it was a popular generator the Westinghouse and the Honda were the most popular. We may sell the Champion generator now since buying the Westinghouse not much need for two generators.
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

ZuBrew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ZuBrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2023 at 8:54am
Can you leave the generator in the back of a pickup and run it in the open truck bed? I have heard of anyone doing that and wasn't sure if it was safe or not.

I have a Champion 4250/3500W open frame inverter I picked up last summer on super special for $500. I have to find some wheels for it. I had planned to use a ramp to roll it in and out of the truck. It's 75 lbs so my wife and I can hoist it into the truck if needed.
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 4X4
2018 R-Pod 189
2013 Yamaha FJR 1300A
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2023 at 9:02am
I do that. I have it sitting where the exhaust is toward the tailgate. I lower the tailgate when I run it and make sure there is space around it, more at the front where air is pulled in, to make sure it stays properly cooled. Since mine is dual fuel, I only have run it using propane. I get a little less power, but it saves having to worry about carrying gasoline and it spilling.
As long as you have the truck so that exhaust would not be going into the RPod, you should be fine.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
David and Danette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote David and Danette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2023 at 4:11pm
  We kept the Champion 3100 in the truck and too rolled it out on the tail gate to operate it that worked well when the truck was unhitched from our camper. But we couldn't use the generator unless we were unhitched from the truck which wasn't practical in a rest area. We have a fiberglass cap on our truck which encloses the back of the truck so we needed to let down the tailgate but that wasn't possible because the tailgate would hit the electric tongue jack. So we decided to buy the Westinghouse not only can I lift it out of the truck being half the weight but it uses a lot less gasoline and now we are able to operate the generator in a rest area easily. The Champion 3100 was more power than we needed so it was overpowered for our camper most of the time. But I do miss the remote start and having the electric start feature. When we bought the Champion 3100 we thought it would be useful for the camper and when our power went off for our house which happened fairly often. But our electric company improved the power grid in our area and the power rarely goes off now.
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

gpokluda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2023 at 8:45am
Same here. We almost never lifted our generator out of the truck bed, just kept it oriented so it would exhaust at the tailgate. The remote start is nice, but you would still have to go outside to plug in once the generator is up to power which brings up a question. Let's say you had an autoformer like a Hughes Watchdog plugged into the generator and of course your RV power cable plugged into the Watchdog. Would it be safe to remote start the generator with everything connected?
Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179(sold 2023)
2022 Escape 5.0TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 3.5EB
Triumph T120
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>