R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Hot water tank won’t heat water.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote John Roots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hot water tank won’t heat water.
    Posted: 07 Jan 2023 at 8:53pm
Hot water heater won’t heat water. Propane tank is half full; hot water tank is full with water; propane flows to stove burners and frig (on propane). Tank inlet and outlet water valves are correct. I’m dry camping with only 12V electric. Any thoughts? TIA.
Frosty
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2023 at 11:52pm
Have you checked the fuse in the power center? It could be blown. If it is good and the switch is on, you may have had a failure in the water heater's control board. A search of the forum using the advanced search will help. That will let you find posts older than six months. I recall seeing similar questions. I can't say much because it is one problem I have not yet experienced. Perhaps one of the posts can give you some insight as to what to look for.

There is a reset in the water heater outside compartment (round black rubber pads). I don't know if that would help to press those. It couldn't hurt.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
John Roots View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote John Roots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2023 at 8:14am
Thanks StevenH. Scratching my head just before I went to be I decided to open the outside hot water tank access panel. I saw the two reset button and push them holding for about 3 seconds. Came back into the rpod and turned on the hot water tank switch. About 2 seconds later I heard the wonderful sound of the propane lighting off. We now have hot water! Thanks for the good systems trouble shooting. The Forum is great.
Frosty
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2023 at 8:54am
The reset buttons are high limit temp switches. One is fur 120V, the other is for propane. If they trip it most likely means the water temp got too high, so keep an eye out for that in future, and watch you don't get scalding got water out of the tap.

If it happens again it likely means your regular propane thermostat isnt shutting of the propane when it should.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold

Post Options Post Options   Quote John Roots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2023 at 12:16pm
Thanks Offgrid. It seems to be something related to the tank high temp sensor and the 15A circuit breaker. I got it going last night but today it’s intermittent. Propane seems to light off after the heater is shut down for a while.
Frosty
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2023 at 4:10am
The water heater circuit breaker position doesn't effect the propane heating side. There isn't any connection between the 120Vac water heater element and the propane water heater system. They are totally independent and you can run either or both simultaneously.  In fact, you should leave the 120Vac water heater breaker in the off position unless you know the tank has water in it, because you can burn out the heating element if it's not immersed in water.

The only connection that could occur is that if one of the systems overheats the tank it could trip off both high temp sensors. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold

Post Options Post Options   Quote John Roots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2023 at 11:38am
I think I’ve narrowed it down to the hot water tank temp sensors. I am ordering the two replacement sensors and will install. YouTube seems to have good install instructions. I like www.smilesandmiles.us for good install instructions.
Frosty
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2023 at 4:52pm
Great! Please do post the results and any comments you have for future reference.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold

Post Options Post Options   Quote John Roots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2023 at 4:55pm
Will do.
Frosty

Post Options Post Options   Quote John Roots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2023 at 2:38pm
Offgrid… Here’s the final chapter in my hot/cold water odyssey. I ordered and received new hot water tank high temp sensors. I set aside one afternoon to install them. Before starting I decided to check the ‘Hot’ ‘Cold’ ‘Crossline’ valve settings one more time . To my amazement the Crossline valve was partially open allowing cold water to leak into the hot water line. The result was small batches of hot water followed by cold water, making for an interesting and lively shower. Apparently I hadn’t completely closed it when dewinterizing. Once I fully closed the Crossline the problem was solved. I have ten years and 50,000 miles of rv experience and consider myself rv knowledgeable and handy.   I do most of my own maintenance. Also, I was a Marine Corps pilot years ago where attention to detail is critical. I failed the attention to detail test. I now have the high temp sensors for the hot water tank which I will eventually install. Sorry for this lengthy email but thought you’d enjoy the final resolution. And to save me embarrassment I’m sure you’ll keep this just between the two of us.
Frosty
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>