R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Tires

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote ron_whitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tires
    Posted: 31 Dec 2022 at 4:16pm
Need my second set of tires this spring on my 2012 177..  Thinking of  getting "D's"..  For those of you who have switched from C's  to  D's.... Have you noticed:.. The pod "bouncing" while traveling if you happen to go over bump's.  I've been told  that the D's have a harder side wall  and that would tend to cause more bouncing??  Thanks in advance.
Ron & Shirley
2020 Tacoma
2012 177 rpod
Winterpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Winterpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2022 at 4:56pm
I switched to Goodyear Endurance E rated tires four years ago. I run them at 65 PSI. I haven’t noticed the Pod bouncing around any more than when it had the China bombs that came with unit.
fYI I travel around 55 to 65 most of the timeSmile
Winter pod
2013 R-Pod 178
2007 Silverato 1500 LT.
Trek Stash 8 29er hard tail
Old Town Kayak
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2022 at 5:04pm
We switched from C to D on our 172 and it tracked much better with no bouncing.  Everything felt smoother and more stable.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
DavMar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote DavMar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2022 at 5:31pm
Switch from the junk C rated tires that my 180 came with to D rated tires years ago. Something I'd recommend every Pod owner do since remember your only traveling on one axial. Run the D rated at around 60ods psi and have no noticeable increased bounce.
Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2022 at 7:49pm
Purchased my first set of "D" tires two years ago on our 177.  Noticeable difference from day 1.  First 2 sets were "C" rated. When going into town to get the new tires there was a strong cross-wind of 30-35 mph and it was noted how much I could see the tire flex (driver side only) on the entire 32 mile trip.  After getting the new "D" tires, Carlisle Radial Trail, on the way home the cross wind was just as strong yet there was no flexing of the tire noticed.  It also tracked much better.  Pressure is set at 60 psi.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
hogone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote hogone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2023 at 6:03am
have same tires as jato.......good stuff.  GO PACK!  jon
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
john in idaho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote john in idaho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2023 at 8:47am
I have had E rated tires the last threee seasons.  Max pressure is 80 - I think w/o going to the barn and looking.  At any rate, without the sidewall flex and bounce of the C tires, the trailer rides a lot smoother, no continual slight side sway .  I run at 62 which seems to be the sweet spot.  
Colt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2023 at 12:57pm
I switched from C to D on my 180 and haven't noticed extra bouncing. I also run the pressure at 60 psi rather than their 65 psi max. I don't need all of the extra load capacity they have.
John
'16 R-Pod 180
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2023 at 8:04am
Not all C, D, or E load ratings are the same, and trailers are all loaded differently. 

So to know what you really need, load up as you would for a trip. Weigh the load on your rear axle at a public scale. Divide that number by 2. Then,  pick a replacement tire that when pressurized to its max rating, has a load capacity about 20-25% higher than than that number.  That will give you a reasonable  safety margin on your tires without excess stiffness. 

Keep them inflated to their rated pressure, cold. Under inflating trailer tires isn't a great idea. The sidewalls will flex more and  since they are thicker wont be able to shed the heat build up from flexing as well as other tires types.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2023 at 9:16am
We switched from C to D when the OEM tires aged out. I'd say there is less bouncing going on and I speculate that it's because the D tires run at higher pressure.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
 Post Reply Post Reply