R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Trailer hitch advice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Skanknpunx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trailer hitch advice
    Posted: 22 Dec 2022 at 4:01pm
 Hi All,

We just recently purachsed our first camper. An R-pod 178 (2018).  We have a 2021 Toyota highlander (with tow package).  We need some advice on a trailer hookup with sway/weight distribution.

We were thinking about the 600 lb version of the Re Curve R6.  

Any advice and recommendations are greatly appreciated! 
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mjlrpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2022 at 4:21pm
No idea about the Re Curve R6, but the 600 Lb would be the biggest you want. I think most here use the Fastway E2.  A 178 is a fairly light model, you should not have any problems. 
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
Skanknpunx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Skanknpunx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2022 at 5:13pm

Eaz-Lift Recurve R6 by Camco

offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2022 at 2:10am
When choosing a wdh weight rating, bear in mind that it is lifting both the tongue of the trailer and whatever is in the rear of your tow vehicle. You don't want it bottoming out,  that will overstress it's tensioning bars and create some peak stresses on the trailer frame and TV hitch. 

I ran a 10000 lb wdh (1000 lb bars) on my 179 and liked the ride and feel, but I had a relatively high tongue weight. The 178 should be lower because it's fresh water tank is in the rear (I think). So I might suggest a set of 800 lb rated bars. In the end it is discretionary based on what you're towing with, how you load your vehicles, and what kind of ride you like.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
gpokluda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2022 at 1:06pm
I'm not familiar with that hitch but the weight ratings would certainly get the job done. Any reason you don't want to go with the lighter R3. Less weight, plenty of capacity and less money.

My opinion is the R6 and R3 look complicated with lots of parts. I am a fan of the Fastway E2. Very simple, easy to install and works like a charm. We have 10's of thousands of miles on ours and it kept the our 179 solid and straight. The downside is the spring bars exit the hitch from below which some have said decreases ground clearance. We never had that issue but we towed with a small truck.

Good luck on your decision.
Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179(sold 2023)
2022 Escape 5.0TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 3.5EB
Triumph T120
Colt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2023 at 1:10pm
Are you sure you need weight distribution? I do not with my SUV. It does not seem to need it. I do use an adjustable friction bar sway damper, just in case.
John
'16 R-Pod 180
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2023 at 11:37pm
If you hitch it up and you see the rear of the vehicle sagging under the load, you would really benefit from a weight distribution hitch. When the rear is sagging, the front is rising, which takes weight off the steering wheels. A WD hitch will transfer some of that weight back  to the front so you can steer better A lot depends on your vehicle. With my Frontier, I definitely need the WD hitch (Equal-i-zer) in my case.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
hogone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote hogone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2023 at 6:13am
first and foremost...Happy New year to all.  i have always been somewhat (maybe alot) confused about weight distribution hitches.  I do understand that the intent is to distribute weight to the front for the intent of increased control,  does it also reduce sagging?  i know/am sure they work; just dont get how that works (Im not the brightest star in the sky so hope that makes sense).  I think (I may be wrong), but I believe I have read some podders use them on there f150's(mine was marketed as a work truck so it may have some beefed up springs) or other pickups.  not sure why a wdh would be needed as mine doesnt sag (maybe an inch or so).  I guess my thoughts are if your tv sags that much, it wouldnt be a proper tv and be unsafe.  im a pu guy and i completely understand thats not the vehical for everyone.  not being controversial (not sure if i spelled that right!!); its just i see alot of people pulling with scary rigs, and back to my original ?, dont understand wd.  sorry for the ramble.  jon
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2023 at 7:27am
On my Frontier (2010), the rear leaf springs seem to be rather weak. I also added SumoSprings to the rear suspension which keeps the back from bottoming out on the bump-stop when I go over things like speed bumps.

As to how a WD hitch works, it is a lever action. The hitch head is at an angle. When the bars are pulled up via a snap-up lever (Equal-i-zer and E2) or by tightening chains, it is trying to pivot the hitch head. Since the hitch head is fixed into the tow vehicle receiver and can't pivot in the hitch, the force exerted causes the whole tow vehicle to pivot at the center of balance (not necessarily the center of the tow vehicle. So, the back end of the tow vehicle is lifted and the front of the tow vehicle lowers. It is kind of like how the elevators on an airplane can cause the airplane to pivot to nose up or down by exerting force at one end, causing the other end to move around the center of balance.

In your case, you don't necessarily need the benefit of weight distribution. For people that don't have the beefed-up rear suspension, it can really make a difference. Your situation and mine are different. I need it.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2023 at 7:55am
The tow rating of the '21 Highlander hasn't changed from my  2012. I ran a 1000 lb rated wdh on my 179 and the ride, braking, and handling was much better with than without. The 178 might be a bit lighter  on the tongue than my 179 was but I'm sure your rig would still benefit significantly from using the wdh. Note though that the purpose of a wdh is not to get the tow vehicle level, when set right the rear of your Highlander will still be lower than without the trailer. The objective of the wdh is to get the load on the front axle back to what it was without the trailer. You gauge that by measuring the ride height of the front axle of the Highlander without the trailer, then hang the trailer on it and tension up the wdh to obtain that same ride height. By getting that front axle load back where it was you are restoring the steering, traction,  and braking of your tow vehicle to what it was designed for. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>