Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Sailboat RV

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote David and Danette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sailboat RV
    Posted: 14 Dec 2022 at 12:47pm
   A first time for me a camper arrived at the campground with a 21 foot sailboat. Haven't seen him putting up a tent and I see no reason too he most likely will sleep in the cabin of his boat. I am a sailor so it got my attention and if I tell my wife she will tell me no more sailboats. He is from Vermont headed for the Florida Keys.
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2022 at 2:29am
Check out the Trailer Sailor forum. There's a whole sailing subculture of the cruising world which is into that. Some are folks  who if they had more time and money might be livaboards and go up and down the ICW seasonally. The advantage is the trailer sailor guy can quickly go straight to the Keys in winter and straight to Maine or the upper Great Lakes in summer and launch into the best cruising waters right away.. Other advantages are no docking fees or hull maintenance to deal with when not sailing.

There is a class of boats favored for trailer sailing.  All seem to be in that 20-22 ft-ish range. West Weight Potter, Catalina 22, Com-Pac, and Nimble 20 are examples.

Downsides are those sailboats are really small inside, compared to a normal sailing cruiser in the 30s plus ft range.  And compared to similar length trailer or motorized RVs they are really really cramped. 

Sailboats make even worse campers while on the road. The climbing up to get in and out is a pain and the unstepped mast gets in the way. But if youre just spending a couple of nights on board on the way to your cruising destination then I guess it's not a big deal. 

I was looking into sailboats of that type myself a few years ago, after we sold our 32 ft Ketch. I almost bought a Nimble 20. Really cool little yawl, classic lines. I wanted one but I wanted to stay married more.. No way my wife would go camping any length of time in it. 

But come to think of it, now that we have the Chinook we have the perfect tow vehicle for something like that. Camp comfortably on the road, launch where we want, day sailing or short overnight cruises, then back to the RV comforts. Oops, I better nip those thoughts in the bud, don't need any more stuff or projects at the moment...

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
David and Danette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote David and Danette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2022 at 4:18am
 The two have been around for thousands of years camping and sailing if one reads the bible which I do you will read the history of both. The two have a lot of history in my life camping and sailing have been two of my most enjoyable memories. Seeing the sailboat in a campground and used for camping was a first for me so I had to talk to the man mostly about sailing. His boat is a Precision 21 foot sailboat with a stove and a sink and I guess a porta potti. As was said climbing up into the boat could be difficult but sailors are pretty athletic it didn't seem to be a problem for him. The mast was rather long it will not fit into a small campsite he was in a drive through I think that made things a little easier parking. I had a 25 foot Hunter sailboat I bought as a kit it was just the fiberglass haul that you would complete the inside. It had a lot of room inside so a 21 foot would have a fair amount of space inside the cabin. It's a fun way of doing both camping and sailing.
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2022 at 3:00am
Sailing has been around for between 5000 and 8000 years depending on how you interpret the archeology. Old but nowhere near as old as camping. That is, what most of us would think of as traditional "camping" sitting around a campfire talking with the family. That had been with us since Neanderthal times, around 300,000 to 400,000 BCE. It's in our blood, probably literally in the sense that humans have likely  evolved to get pleasure from it.

The Precision 21 is a nice pocket cruiser. I'd probably still opt for the Nimble 20 because it's more traditional looking and has shallower draft with the centerboard  up, so you can go gunkholing in it or beach it.easily. Mast fits within the hull length as does the outboard so it's shorter on the trailer that the Precision, which as you say is around 24-25 ft.  The Precision is a faster boat though. Another popular boat in this category is the West Wight Potter. Looks a little ungainly but has a big cabin for it's size.

1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
hogone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote hogone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2022 at 5:10am
You guys got me wondering if the rpod would float!!  jon
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2022 at 6:53am
For maybe a millisecond LOL
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2022 at 1:37pm
Going across the Mississippi numerous times in the midwest and upper midwest i have seen on occasion where someone has gotten the novel idea to take their travel trailer and attach it to a homemade flotation foundation.  Looks a bit goofy but am sure it saves big $$ as to purchasing a houseboat that may offer a few more amenities, the main one being its appearance.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
hogone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote hogone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2022 at 2:58pm
that will be my mission........put in at st louis and float to the gulf....keep your eyes out for a floating pod!!
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2022 at 7:41pm
SWEET Jon, Make sure you take a picture of that!  Probably make the headlines at FR headquarters.  May get a call from FR's owner, Warren Buffet himself.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
 Post Reply Post Reply