This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > Non-pod Discussion Forums > General non-pod discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Ford F150 Lightning towing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ford F150 Lightning towing
    Posted: 10 Sep 2023 at 9:16pm
Originally posted by StephenH

It is a pretty sure guess that they were not on a cross-country trip.

I'm pretty sure you're right. One thing my wife noticed is that they were both women traveling alone. She has also noticed that most EVs she sees, are driven by women. Long ago, Toyota and Honda realized success by marketing the reliability of their cars to women. I wonder EV makers are doing the same. While men are busy arguing whether V8s are better than boosted V6s for towing, women are quietly insuring the success of EVs.
Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179(sold 2023)
2022 Escape 5.0TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 3.5EB
Triumph T120
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2023 at 10:05am
Originally posted by StephenH

What happens when demand for electricity exceeds supply? How is EV charging going to be prioritized if power is needed for critical infrastructure? I would not mind a small EV for in and around town driving, but no way I would be taking one on a long trip. Since we don't have a garage and my wife does not drive, it makes no sense for us to have multiple vehicles so we have the one that works for us. 
Short term, you may have a point. However, In California now about 22% of all new cars are EVs. Because of cheaper solar and wind power, we now frequently have a surplus of electricity depending on sun and wind (despite the large number of EVs). Storage is going to be key going forward. You also might notice that the latest iteration of the Model 3 (long range) will go ~~ 420 miles on a charge.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234