R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Electrical Wiring Diagrams ???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
JR View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote JR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Electrical Wiring Diagrams ???
    Posted: 24 Oct 2022 at 9:12am
+1 Akula1 this is a very good primer to gain knowledge about the trailer's electrical system while keeping in mind that power coming from the TV ( tow vehicle) is not routed through the 12v fuses in the breaker box.  The primary use of the power coming from the TV is operating the trailer's running/brake lights, operating the trailer's brakes, and in most cases while the TV is connected to the trailer it is adding energy to the trailer's on board batteries.  Hope this helps.
Jay

179/2019
Akula1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Akula1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2022 at 8:16am
Since each model is unique, with my electrical background I recommend plugging into power (shore power), and turn off all breakers except the 30amp one. test each outlet and appliance, nothing should come on, then systematically turn on each breaker, and test again (for example, if you turn on the breaker for the a/c, only the A/C should have power). write down a list for what each breaker controls.

Next, disconnect the power (shore power), take a picture of all the fuses (12VDC) in place, then remove all of the fuses except for the 30Amp fuses (Caution, use only an insulated fuse puller, anything else can short fuses or connections, and blow fuse). Next check all 12V operated equipment (Fridge, Tv, Stereo, etc...) Then insert the first fuse (refer to picture of fuses) with the fuse puller, and list everything that is powered by that fuse, complete that systematically.

Now you should have a list of everything A/C & D/C on each breaker (120Vac) and fuse(12Vdc), the items listed on each circuit are in parallel (means everything on that circuit can work at the same time). This will help you with troubleshooting in the future with a multimeter.

IF you are not sure or confident in what to do, go to a professional for help, and an electrician too. (My disclaimer)
2019 R-Pod 190
2019 Colorado LT
RoverPod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote RoverPod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2022 at 6:20pm
Originally posted by rPodCamping

See...............that makes no sense to me.  

How can FR ensure quality and consistency in its product line without wiring diagrams that the installers must follow?  

The problem with this is assuming that "ensuring quality and consistency in its product line" is important to Forest River.
2017 F150 XLT SuperCab
2020 rPod 180
gpokluda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2022 at 4:18pm
+1 to all. rPodCamping, you will get to know your trailer over time. It can be a bit intimidating but just spend some quality time with it and before you know it, you'll understand not only the wiring, but plumbing, construction and mechanics. That acquired knowledge is one of the things that has prevented us from selling our 179 a couple of times. I'm not ready to the "learn" another RV just yet.
Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179(sold 2023)
2022 Escape 5.0TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 3.5EB
Triumph T120
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2022 at 11:04am
You can pretty much figure that all wiring emanates from the power panel. Figure the shortest distance between that point and the thing you are providing power to. 12V up to the lights and probably the entertainment system and antenna amplifier. 120VAC to each of the things that require it. There will also be 12VDC coming to the power panel from the trailer connector. Not a lot more than that other than the emergency brake (and brakes & running lights) from the trailer connector.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2022 at 9:03am
+2 to OG  On our recent 30 day trip last month we actually camped at a park with electricity behind Pikes Peak (Mueller State Park).  Long story short, even though I was plugged in, nothing worked on 120, went back to battery, same thing.  Kind of thought this trip was going to be cut short, I was out of ideas, and our slide was out as well.  Fortunately my mechanical engineer brother helped to troubleshoot, and even then the electrical wiring made no sense, color wise on some of the switches, especially the toggle for the slide.  Fortunately when we ordered this 177, back in January 2011 it was ordered without A/C, microwave/convection oven, or entertainment system (we rarely go where there is electricity anyway).  He suggested I take the red wire off the converter (coming from the 120 feed) and put it on one of the open lugs that would have been used for A/C or the convection oven.  I did and everything worked!  Believe me, I was very thankful!  Apparently the circuit must have shorted out on that line.  So if this happens again (hopefully not) there is still 1 more open circuit to attach to.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2022 at 5:54am
+1 to OG.  

Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2022 at 5:19am
The problem with having detailed documentation of your product, like a wiring diagram, is that then you would actually have to build them that way. LOL

Consider this. If FR provided you with a wiring diagram for your trailer, it would be reasonable for you to rely on it being accurate. If it wasn't and as a result you burned up your trailer with you in it, the litigation would seriously hurt FRs bottom line, or worse. THAT is what FR really means when they say there is too much liability. 

Would it help FRs product quality if they could build their trailers consistently? Of course. But it's not in their manufacturing culture to be able to do that. And it's very difficult and expensive to make that kind of change. You lose lots of staff who resent all the controls. Believe me  I've been there. 

I'm not just singling out FR BTW, the whole RV industry is like that other than a few high end brands. 

So, you won't see what you're asking for. Just generate your own schematic, and only trust it as far as you have personally verified the wiring. IOW, don't assume something is wired up the way you think would be logical....

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
rPodCamping View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rPodCamping Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2022 at 9:18pm
I am very familiar with AC & DC systems in my trailer, and how the power center functions and distributes electricity throughout the trailer.  That's not my question.  

An electrical wiring diagram would be helpful to me personally in diagnosing issues, making modifications, identification of circuits through wire color-coding, etc etc etc.  

I just heard from FR today.  They will not provide them and you can't get them through the dealer network either.   Too much liability..................
rPodCamping View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rPodCamping Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2022 at 9:07pm
See...............that makes no sense to me.  

How can FR ensure quality and consistency in its product line without wiring diagrams that the installers must follow?  

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>