R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Battery Drain

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote janderaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Battery Drain
    Posted: 15 Oct 2022 at 10:08am
Hello, 
I am new to the forum and new to being an owner of a travel trailer Smile  I recently bought a 2023 Rpod 190, it has a solar panel that trickle charges the battery during the day. However, overnight the battery drains to zero and the solar panel beeps do to low battery. Then when the sun comes out the solar panel charges up the battery maybe 3/4 full but by the next morning the battery is drained again. 
Anyone else experience this issue?Ouch
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2022 at 10:44am
Hopefully you have a multitester or voltmeter to check battery voltage.  A fully charged battery at rest will read 12.72 volts at 100% S.O.C.  Lead acid batteries should not be taken below 12.2 v  before being recharged for maximum life.  My oldest battery is over 11.5 years old and still performs well (I carry 2 batteries on my a-frame, the newest is a Trojan T-1275 and puts out 150 aH.

I hope your battery hasn't drained to 0, if so it will be toast, it will not hold a charge and will have to be replaced. 
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
janderaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote janderaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2022 at 11:26am
Thanks for the response Jato. My Wfco panel says the dc status is 13.0v. I pulled. The trailer into my 30amp outlet at home to see if it will charge up to full. Then will see once unplugged if it will hold the charge with the solar trickle charge. 
RoverPod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote RoverPod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2022 at 6:42am
What are you running on battery power in your camper? Perhaps you are using more than the battery has capacity for.
2017 F150 XLT SuperCab
2020 rPod 180
gpokluda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2022 at 3:14pm
Hi janderaz. Congratulations on the new Rpod. Hope you make some great memories during your travels. The only advice I can give is to work from one end of the system to the other starting with the battery. I know you said it was a new Rpod, but I would start with the battery. Start by making sure all of your cells are flooded. If possible disconnect everything from the battery and charge it. Like jato said, a multimeter/voltmeter is really helpful here. Once you are satisfied with the battery condition, reinstall and begin diagnosing through the RV. Make sure everything is turned off especially the 12volt fridge. 

My guess is either your battery is defective (the Interstate we got from the dealer on our new 179 only lasted 8 months) or you have something turned on that is drawing your battery down. The only thing I know of that would do that so quickly is the fridge.

Good luck.
Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179(sold 2023)
2022 Escape 5.0TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 3.5EB
Triumph T120
Rpod-Couple View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rpod-Couple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2022 at 6:26pm
Hi Janderaz,

Check if your trailer’s emergency cable has been pulled out or not fully inserted. That will run the battery down. You need this cable plugged into the trailer even when you are not hitched up.

I learned this the hard way and killed my battery.
Steve & Elaine
2021 R-pod
2023 VW Atlas Cross Sport
janderaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote janderaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2022 at 6:43pm
Thanks everyone for all the suggestions and feedback. The trailer is just parked in my driveway waiting for it’s maiden voyage. Nothing is running or tuned on, it’s just being stormed in driveway. I have be charging it from a 30amp outlet all weekend at my house and the battery never charges above 3/4 full. If I disconnect from the power outlet the battery drains to zero and the solar panel is beeping to indicate low battery.  Solar panel shows it’s connected and charging. I’m thinking the battery is the issue at this point. I’ve checked and can’t see that anything is on or running other than safety devices or digital displays.  Going to call the dealer in the morning to trouble shoot it. Cry
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2022 at 6:56pm
If battery is not charging above 75% it has been hurt, most likely by having it drawn down way below 12v and then sitting with a low charge for a period of time.  Again, please get a reading using a voltmeter or multi tester to get actual voltage of the battery at rest.  When you are charging from your 30 amp outlet you should be reading at least 13.5 volts or better while the battery is directly hooked up to shore power.

At this point it would appear that the business you purchased your battery from actually gave you a lemon and put it inside some battery clothes.
God's pod
'11 model 177
janderaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote janderaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2022 at 7:06pm
Yes I’m getting a 13.6 volt reading. I think the dealership sent me home with a low charged battery and the solar trickle charge could not charge it up enough to keep a steady, full charge on the battery.  Just guessing, I’m new at this lol. Will test the battery but still calling the dealer to hopefully address the issue. I have only had the trailer for 1 week and have already learned so much,

jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2022 at 7:44pm
OK, try this, take the charger off the battery and take the ground (-) cable off so there are no phantom draws on it overnight.  Take a reading right now and then again an hour later; the reading should be fairly close to one another.  Wait until morning before you take it in to the dealership and take another reading.  The morning reading should be within 0.10v of the reading you got the night before, if i varies by more than that the battery needs to be replaced.  And by doing it this way you have some evidence for the dealership that you have done your due diligence as far as checking the health of the battery.
God's pod
'11 model 177
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>