R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Roof to Side Rubber Seal Cracking/Peeling

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Dadboni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Roof to Side Rubber Seal Cracking/Peeling
    Posted: 08 Oct 2022 at 3:38pm
RPod-179: the rubber seal between the roof and side is cracking and peeling. Is FR the only place where I can order this or are there other options? BTW: what is it called?
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2022 at 5:30pm
I think you are describing this:  

This is a much heavier duty insert than what the factory uses. It has held up very well for me. I ordered it in 2018 when the thin stuff cracked for me also.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Canucktraveller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Canucktraveller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2022 at 3:18pm
Same here on my RPod 178 (2019). My RV service center calls them "long leg moldings".  Both are cracked and compromised in several places.  RV service is quoting me $2800 in labor (almost 18 hours) to replace them.  Seems ridiculous, especially for a trailer that's only three years old.  The parts are apparently $150 CAD.  Currently working on getting Forest River to cover the cost.  Not happyAngryOuch
Happy Trails
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2022 at 7:40pm
I replaced the white vinyl trim insert on my 177 after it was 10 years old as it was beginning to crack.  Ended up purchasing a 100' roll of premium 1 inch white vinyl trim insert on eBay (which in 2020 had the best price by far) and 200 stainless steel 1" long #10 screws to replace the rusted steel screws installed by FR.  Also dipped each screw in Dicor before inserting.  Doing the trim alone I can't imagine would take more than 2 to 3 hours tops if that is all you are doing by yourself.  To do the almost 200 s.s. screw change outs and change the vinyl trim I think I had about 9 hours into the entire job.  The only nasty part was drilling a bunch of new holes underneath as nearly all the steel screws had rusted away.  Note: if you plan on doing that purchase a carbide tipped drill bit, a normal bit won't work, at least it didn't on my 2011 model.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2022 at 10:35am
I re-read the original post and your follow-up. Are you talking about the vinyl trim, the roof material, or the rubber bulb and flap seals that go around the slide-out? It helps to know the correct problem. Posting a picture of it would be helpful.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179

Post Options Post Options   Quote Canucktraveller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2022 at 2:18pm
Its the strip molding running from front to back on both sides that are cracked.

Happy Trails
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2022 at 3:38pm
Okay, it is the vinyl strip. 3 years is not bad. If it were less than a year, you would have a case. Sun, heat, and weather is not kind to the factory strip. Just order the vinyl strip about which I posted which costs a lot less than what you quoted. It is $26.50 US. Even with the exchange rate, it would be much less than $150 CA. That is, unless the import duties are that onerous.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179

Post Options Post Options   Quote Canucktraveller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2022 at 4:04pm
Awesome. What about hours for labour to install? 15-16 hours seems like a lot
Happy Trails
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2022 at 5:54pm
I did mine a few years ago but also changed out all the steel screws to stainless.  IF you are only doing the 1 inch vinyl trim and nothing else I cannot imagine it taking over 2 or 3 hours tops.  The only part that takes much time are the ends that have the Phillips head on the black plastic cap.  Those need to be cleaned and re-caulked.  If the temps are warm enough so the trim insert is flexible it goes on very quickly, just squeeze it together and let it set in the channel.  Again, the pieces on the slide out take a bit more time as there are 4 corners, Phillips screws to clean up and re-caulk, but overall it is quite simple and straightforward.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Ben Herman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ben Herman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2022 at 6:24pm
Originally posted by Canucktraveller

Awesome. What about hours for labour to install? 15-16 hours seems like a lot

If its just the vinyl trim insert, its an easy job by yourself. I've replaced both sides on mine, each side took maybe an hour tops. 

I bought A 100 ft roll from Amazon for less than $20.
 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077H26H2Z/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>