R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Powerbuilt Unijack 4,000 Lb.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote David and Danette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Powerbuilt Unijack 4,000 Lb.
    Posted: 10 Oct 2022 at 5:45am
    I found a video where the Vista Cruiser was lifted by the frame where the leaf spring connects to the frame but I will need several blocks to reach that height. The Walmart Hyper-tough trolley jack would have been a better choice and I may end up buying one.
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2022 at 7:01am
I used a floor jack when we lived in Nevada to lift our 172.  The area where we parked the trailer was covered with gravel and sloped for a drainage swail under the middle of the trailer.  It was a real pain getting the jack into position and even harder to pump the handle, which was under the trailer and was hard to get any leverage on.  The bottle jack, on the other hand, was easy to position and stabilize, easy to pump and release, and was considerably lighter to move around under the trailer.  

The only time I needed a jack when I was on the road was a camping trip at Hope Valley, CA, where I discovered that I had burnt up a bearing on the left wheel.  It was parked on an uneven surface, next to a log laying on the ground, in soft dirt.  I had no problem setting up the bottle jack and accessing it.  Had I tried to use my floor jack, it would have been almost impossible to get it into position, stabilize in the soft ground, and pump it with the log blocking access to reach the long handle under the trailer.

Both the jack that StephenH suggested and the low profile jack from Home Depot are good choices.  They have about the same unextended height [5 5/16" vs. 5 1/2"], both are lighter than a floor jack [18.3 lbs. vs. 25 lbs.], and both have adequate capacity [2 tons vs. 12 tons].  The bottle jack costs a little more, but takes up a lot less space.  The big difference to me is access to the handle and ease of pumping it.  The bottle jack is easy to pump from an accessible position.  The trolly jack, in order to be positioned under the axle lift point, must be in a position that makes it harder to reach the pump handle.  If it requires a lot of force while pumping [as was the case with my floor jack], then it could be a bit more difficult to use.

Our current trailer, like Dave and Dannete's, has leaf springs, so we don't need a super low profile.  The bottle jack I use has about 6" of unextended height and works quite nicely with a piece of 2x6 under it.  I wouldn't even think about using a floor jack, or anything with wheels where we currently park our trailer.  It'd sink right into the soft dirt where grass used to grow.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
gpokluda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2022 at 7:35pm
+1 LA. A good bottle jack is versatile and applicable in most situations. Really hard to do better than that.
Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179(sold 2023)
2022 Escape 5.0TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 3.5EB
Triumph T120
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2022 at 6:18am
Certainly not all vehicle jacks will work on the rpod axle, that's why I suggested trying it to see.  In my case, the Toyota scissors jack is designed to slot into the flange that runs along the bottom of the rocker panel. The jack slot fit perfectly into the vertical part of the weldment attaching the axle to the rpod frame. That is a very strong point and avoids placing a point load directly on either the trailer axle or frame, neither of which are very robust, to say the least. The slotted connection also assures that the jack can't slide off the frame, greatly increasing safety.

I would be very cautious about using a bottle jack due to risk of sliding like that, and advise never jacking a trailer unless it is hitched to the tow vehicle and the opposite wheel was chocked.

As for bending an F150 jack lifting a small travel trailer, it's hard to imagine  how that would happen. An rpod axle fully loaded only weighs about 2000 lbs so any jack with a 1.5 ton capacity or higher should be fine. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2022 at 11:32am
Any jack with a small footprint, bottle, scissor, or otherwise is at risk of toppling or moving, if the vehicle is not adequately secured.  Floor jacks with wheels can manage limited movement if they are on a smooth hard surface but the trailer still needs to be secured.  Personally, if the trailer on an incline of any significant degree or cannot be secured from rolling, I agree with OG's suggestion that it be secured to the TV.  The same applies if the ground below the jack is soft or unstable.  It's also a good idea to use jack stands if you can fit one under a structurally sound lift point next to the jack.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
gpokluda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2022 at 9:11am
OG wrote "That is a very strong point and avoids placing a point load directly on either the trailer axle or frame, neither of which are very robust, to say the least."

With frames so weak, it's amazing these things even make it off the lot without falling apart! LOL

Safe travels!
Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179(sold 2023)
2022 Escape 5.0TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 3.5EB
Triumph T120
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2022 at 6:07am
Heck, you'll never bend a frame or axle if you just leave the trailer sitting in your driveway. Since probably half of the trailers sold get that treatment, FR and Lippert  are home free on 50% of their potential warranty claims. LOL
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
David and Danette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote David and Danette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2022 at 6:55am
   The Powerbilt unijack 4,000 Lb worked great for our camper I placed it under the frame behind the leaf spring. Needed to lift each wheel to grease bearings it was very stable and liked that it has a jack stand and bottle jack joined together with a stable base. It only weighs about 15 pounds and it's compact and easy to store it's a little more expensive than a bottle jack alone but I think it is worth the higher price.
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12