R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Dead Circuit

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dead Circuit
    Posted: 24 Sep 2022 at 12:40pm
On our recent month long trip which we returned from yesterday I encountered an interesting problem.
We were at Mueller State Park in CO, on the back side of Pikes Peak, a campsite that had electricity.  After plugging in I checked the batteries voltages and noted that the one plugged in only read 12.48 volts, not the normal 13+ volts when plugged in.  Proceeded to unplug from the pedestal when the fridge began beeping.  I went to transfer to propane, but nothing.  No lights, tried the slide on the 177, dead, nothing.  Absolutely nothing worked - as if the battery wasn't hooked up either.  The interesting thing is that the slide worked just 5 minutes prior.  Checked all fuses, including the two 40 amp fuses - all good.  No red L.E.D. lights were lit on the converter either.  Checked both batteries and switched to the alternate battery which read 12.72 volts, again no power anywhere.  Proceeded to check the ground and that was good.  Called my brother (a mechanical engineer and also good in electrical issues) in Michigan to help.  Unplugged the toggle switch for the slide and checked ohms, resistance was found meaning the motor was good.  Everything pointed to the converter.  Fortunately when we ordered this 177 back in January 2011 it came without the following: A/C, convection/microwave oven, entertainment system.  Brother told me to remove the wire on the converter that went to the slide and move it to either of the two open circuits available which I did.  After that everything worked normally for which I was very thankful.  The only things still puzzling is when the 30amp fuse on this circuit is removed the red l.e.d. light does not come on, maybe that light doesn't work at all? Also, why did everything die and then magically work again when only 1 wire was changed to the open circuit? Anyway, if this happens again on any other circuit there is still have one more option (open circuit) to use before having to replace the converter.  Or maybe, before something worse happens maybe the whole converter ought to be replaced?  What do you think?
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
offgrid View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2022 at 1:18pm
Do you know for sure that the converter wasn't working? Or, could the slide motor have been locked up and drawing current, pulling the battery low even with the converter operating? Then reset when you moved the slide to the other circuit?

Since your brother seems to have come up with the fix, what does he think happened?

I wouldn't start replacing expensive components like the converter unless I was sure that was the problem, but I'm cheap
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply