R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Is it safe to stand on my 2022 Rpod 190 Roof?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote npalumbo89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is it safe to stand on my 2022 Rpod 190 Roof?
    Posted: 21 Sep 2022 at 10:09am
SO its getting to that time of the year for winterizing and cleaning things up. I planned on doing this late October but I'm trying to get a game plan together now.  I have a 2022 190 and im not sure if the roof is safe enough to stand on or not. I'm about 230lbs and would hate to climb up there just to fall through lol!

I will need to clean the roof, inspect seals, etc.. I'm just not sure what the best way to go about this would be.

Has anyone else had exp with roof access on their 190?

Thanks in advance 

Nicholas Palumbo
1nana2many View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote 1nana2many Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2022 at 10:36am
I am no expert, but my husband weighs only about 15 pounds less than you and has been on the roof of our 2016 179 several times. He did choose to mostly lay down up there when possible to spread his weight out over a bigger area as much as possible. You might consider taking a piece of plywood (3’ x 3’) up and standing on it to spread you weight over support structure. It IS better if you can do as much work as possible from the ground or a ladder. You are standing on the equivalent of 2 x 2s and fiberglass panels filled with foam insulation. It is a great idea to get up high enough to inspect your seals/caulk/etc.
Water infiltration is the enemy of any RV and you really need to be proactive in preventive maintenance.
The mountains are calling and we must go...O.D., Keith & Jody
2016 RP179= O.D. (Olive Drab)
2008 Coachman Captiva
1993 Jayco 1206 popup
2016 F150 Supercrew
David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote David and Danette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2022 at 10:38am
    I think it would be OK to crawl on your hands and knees to spread the weight out I wouldn't walk that puts too much weight in one location. I have done that with our last two campers and no problem but I am only 165 pounds. I am sure others could give you better advice that are similar to your weight.
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2022 at 11:10am
Spreading the load out either by laying prone and/or by using a sheet of plywood is a good idea. Also, be sure to set your stabilizing jacks especially if you're going to try standing. But, it's pretty small up there, no need for much walking around.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
npalumbo89 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote npalumbo89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2022 at 3:34pm
Thank you so much. Ill probably do as much as I can from above on a ladder. just to be safe
Nicholas Palumbo
npalumbo89 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote npalumbo89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2022 at 3:35pm
as a bigger guy ill probably just try to avoid being up there if I can or utilize my gf to help up on top if she's comfortable with the task. Ill definitely keep plywood in mind. Thank you for the advice!
Nicholas Palumbo
 Post Reply Post Reply