R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Air conditioner replacement

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote EchoGale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Air conditioner replacement
    Posted: 14 Sep 2022 at 3:03pm
Hi folks, It looks like I am going to have to replace my existing dometic a/c unit on my 2016 172 (641816CXX1). Has anyone found a less expensive but reliable replacement model?  How about something quieter? Would appreciate any input.

--sad Julie
Julie
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 8:43am
I think you could go with a smaller capacity RV roof a/c. 13.5k btu/hour is really overkill for that little space.

It's nice to have the extra capacity if you want to cool down the interior in a hurry but results in short cycling once it's cooled down, and it sounds like a jet exhaust. So it depends on how hot it is where you camp and how fast you want things to cool once you set up camp.

There are a couple options in the 9000 btu/hour range. Might or might not be a bit quieter, but ought to be a little less expensive and more efficient. Any of them should fit the standard roof opening.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
EchoGale View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote EchoGale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 3:21pm
Thank you. Do you have any specific ones in mind?
Julie
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2022 at 7:14am
I don't have and personal information to base a recommendation on. I see there are both Coleman and Recpro a/cs in that size range. The Recpro is advertised as being "quiet" for what that's worth.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
EchoGale View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote EchoGale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2022 at 9:16am
thank you
Julie
gpokluda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2022 at 10:30am
We had a chance to have a demo of a Coleman Mach10 and that is what we went with when we ordered our new trailer. Much quieter than the Dometic plus it has a bluetooth thermostat so no fussing with wiring one of those up. It is not as streamlined as the Dometic but that wasn't a big deal for us.
Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179(sold 2023)
2022 Escape 5.0TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 3.5EB
Triumph T120
 Post Reply Post Reply