R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Bi-Metal switch 8501 refrigerator inop

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote JA-Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bi-Metal switch 8501 refrigerator inop
    Posted: 01 Sep 2022 at 3:58pm
Hello All, looking for a bit of help here, I have noticed over time and in very hot weather my 8501 fridge will not cool as it should, found that the cooling fan in the back has never worked. I removed the fan tested to 12 v works ok tested the wires to all and they have continuity, so this leaves the bi-metal switch, removed it and tested for continuity after heating up no no avail. After heating and moving to a cooler temp I could hear the click of the switch returning to a open position. I suspect the problem is the switch. Problem I have is sourcing a new switch, any ideas here? Local RV dealer no help for parts

John & Allison
R-Pod 179 (2017)
Nissan Frontier SL V6 4.0 (2019)
Pod People View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pod People Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2022 at 9:25am
There are several switches listed on amazon. My buddy used this one on his 179 refrig.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019VSPFGA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
there are different temps (on/off) available.
travel safe and often'
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
JA-Pod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JA-Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2022 at 11:30am
thanks Vann,  i noticed this on Amazon,  
Found after doing some research and probably way too much info for a simple device.  For my 2017 179 year Dometic 8501 refrigerator the Thermostat thermal bi-metal switch numbers are  36TXE32-14582 F70-10C A1541.  The brand of the device (although not identified on the switch) is  Therm-O-Disc by Emerson.   The numbers  are as follows:  
https://climate.emerson.com/documents/bimetal-36t-section-en-us-5469058.pdf
so this is a Automatic reset switch with a switchcase design, eyelet construction, stud mount with the contacts closing on temp rise.
I believe the  F70-10C  indicates that the contacts close at 70 degrees (then turns on the fan) and will reopen when the temp falls to 60 degrees (-10C).  This seems very low closing the contacts and return to open at 60 degrees  which if working correctly would run the fan most of the time.  I like the idea of the switch you mentioned,  it will close at 100 and open at 85  although I am not sure what the "normal" temp range of the pipes near the cooling fins would normally run at.   Any idea?

John & Allison
R-Pod 179 (2017)

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pod People Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2022 at 10:09am
I agree that the "stock" switch info seems to indicate that the operating and differential temps  seem very low.  Turning the fans "ON" at 70 degrees is really outside ambient temp without any internal heat being added from the refrigerator itself.  Also the difference of only 10 degrees seems very low and would indicate  that the fan would stay "ON" most of the time when powered by propane.

I know that my 179 stock switch does not make the fans stay on all the time--it definitely cycles on/off.   I have never actually measured the on/off temps. I am seldom using the refrigerator on electric, most of the time boondocking on propane.  I assume that propane will create higher operating temps than electric, but don't know that as a fact.

I do know that my traveling buddy used that Amazon switch and has been happy with the operation for at least a year. we travel together frequently and his refrig and cooling fans works well.

travel safe and often
Vann

JA-Pod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JA-Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2022 at 1:30pm
Appreciate your help with this Vann,  i ordered the switch and additional fans,  will install and post the results for others who may be running into the same issue with the OEM switch.  
John & Allison
R-Pod 179 (2017)
JA-Pod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JA-Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2022 at 1:23pm
The last pic will show the thermal disc purchased from Amazon  100 degree closed  opens at 85 degree
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019VSPFGA?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details  attached using the original wires,  had to change the spade connector size.  Now the fan will turn on at 100 degrees.  One spade connx is to power and  the other to the controller.   Interesting the fan will run even when the refrigerator is powered off,  not sure if this is standard since I do not know if the fan has ever worked.   I was hoping the controller will signal when the fridge is on to then look for the thermal switch to do its work to turn on the fan.  Anyone know if this normal?

Added two muffin fans 
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08VHT6RVP?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
attached them to the connect block as shown  then added a manual rocker switch installed in the pod to turn on the fans (see the wiring diagram for the switch).  

John & Allison
R-Pod 179 (2017)

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pod People Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2022 at 9:47am
That looks like a nice job overall.  I agree that it is surprising that the fans come on even with the refrig powered off-I'm pretty sure that I have never heard our fans come on if the refrig was off.  but, there is probably very little parasitic power drain from the fans so it should not be a big issue.

I wired 2 additional fans to the original wiring controlled by the thermoswitch and they(both original and added fans) all come on/off at the same time.  since you added  a separate manual switch for the additional fans, they are not controlled by the thermoswitch.  so there is no connection between the 2 new, manually operated fans and the original fan operated by the thermoswitch.

Perhaps the original fan wiring has an interface that only allows the fan to run when there is power to the fridge.????? but there is always power available (even if not used) to the refrig whether on shore power or battery.  so that doesn't make total sense either. It would have to be connected with the refrig motherboard in order to "know" that the refrig was actually in operation and for the fans to turn on when temp is reached.

the fact that the original fan will come on without  the refrig being used is a mystery to me.  do you recall it working that way before the installation of the new thermoswitch?

In our first pod(173) I added 2 fans and direct wired them to a switch just as you did.  They were totally manual and not connected to a thermo switch, so were totally independent from the original fan controlled by the thermoswitch.  so, your install is approiate. However, if you want them to be controlled rather than manual, you could wire the new fans in series with the original fan/wiring.

either way, the idea is to keep the back recess as cool as possible.
Good job
Travel safe and often
Vann

JA-Pod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JA-Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2022 at 1:18pm
Agree that the original fan draws so little power  and i do not boondock (yet) so no real concern.  I am not sure if the oem thermo ever worked as i do not recall ever hearing the fan working.  I had assumed that with one of the wires from the thermo going to the control box mounted on the back of the fridge this would signal to the thermostat to "wake up" to start monitoring for heat.  Something to ponder and ask other podders when out there in the world.  All is well.
thanks again for your advice,  Vann
cheers!
John
John & Allison
R-Pod 179 (2017)
hogone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote hogone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2022 at 1:50pm
my fans have never run
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pod People Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2022 at 6:54pm
The fans on one of my friends R Pod never worked either. He changed the thermoswitch and now they work. So I would assume that your thermos switch is bad similar to what J A pod just went through.  You can probably check that switch with a hairdryer or heat gun to see if it’s working. Use your infrared thermometer to see what temperature it turns on and off.
  Hope that helps
  Travel safe and often
Vann

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>