R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

squeaky Door

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Old Man Running Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: squeaky Door
    Posted: 31 Aug 2022 at 9:55pm
The main entrance door hinge is high resistant, which keeps the door from swinging wildly in high winds, but recently, the hinge is becoming very loud when I use the door.  I am concerned that if I put a lubricant on the hinge, it will stop the squeaky door, but the door will lose its resistant and could cause damage to the RV in high winds.  Any thoughts or ideas on how to silence the squeaky door without losing the needed resistance?

StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2022 at 10:23pm
I lubricate mine with Tri-Flow. If you don't lubricate it, it can get stiff enough to bend the frame. It will still have sufficient resistance to wind unless it is really blowing hard. In that case, you may wish to shut the door anyway.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2022 at 5:43am
Tri-Flow is a great lubricant.  I've used it for years, but it does require a few precautions for safe use.  Here's a link to the SDS that explains the risk and safeguards:  https://www.grabberpro.com/userfiles/documents/TechnicalDocuments/SDS/TRI-FLOW-Lubricant.pdf
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
campman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote campman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2022 at 7:18am
I use a spray type "dry lube" on our friction door hinges.

This deals with the noise, reduces the effort to open/close the door enough that it shouldn't pop anymore screw heads off that mount the door to the wall (what happened to me). It goes in "wet" and drys almost instantly. I still wipe the area to clean up overspray.

Andy
Andy and Laurie
'16 F150 5.0 4X4 w/factory tow pkg
'21 RP192
"If the women don't find you handsome...at least let them find you handy!"
Red-Green
Old Man Running View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Old Man Running Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2022 at 5:24pm
Thanks for all of the great input from fellow-users.  I am very familiar with Tri-Flow from my years of biking.   I applied the Tri-Flow at each hinge point, waited about 15-minutes for it to soak in and presto, no more squeaky door.
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2022 at 6:57pm
I tried other lubricants but Tri-Flow has been the best for getting rid of the noise and lasting a pretty long time before it needs to be done again. I also like that it doesn't take much. A pinpoint oiler (such as one would use for a sewing machine) is good for getting the Tri-Flow where it is needed without a lot of excess dripping down.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2022 at 12:07pm
Originally posted by StephenH

I tried other lubricants but Tri-Flow has been the best for getting rid of the noise and lasting a pretty long time before it needs to be done again. I also like that it doesn't take much. A pinpoint oiler (such as one would use for a sewing machine) is good for getting the Tri-Flow where it is needed without a lot of excess dripping down.
+1

It's like Brilcream. A little dab'll do ya.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
_WW_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote _WW_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2022 at 4:24pm
Our owners manual says to oil the hinge before every trip so that's what I do. I use WD40 since I do it that often. I also look for possible dust build up and give that a squirt too. Then wipe off the over spray and keep on truckin'
2014 RAM 1500
2016 R Pod 179
Colt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2022 at 5:50pm
That is a good application for motorcycle chain lube.  Among the best for locks and hinges is a Harley-Davidson product.  Since they got away from chains, it may not be available anymore.  My can is OLD and I only use it for locks and hinges.  I use PJ-1 on my chains.  Check out the Hardley store to see if they still have it. 
John
'16 R-Pod 180
gpokluda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2022 at 10:03pm
I'm a WD40 guy as well. There's nothing that stuff can't do. Shoot some in the carb of a stubborn motor as primer. Remove road tar from a rocker panel. Polish up some stainless steel. My dad used grind up aspirin, mix it with WD40 and rub it on his shoulder. Swore it worked better than anything else. I wouldn't suggest anyone try that.
Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179(sold 2023)
2022 Escape 5.0TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 3.5EB
Triumph T120
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>