R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

2019 "New" Unused Trailer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote MoPod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2019 "New" Unused Trailer
    Posted: 31 Aug 2022 at 2:51pm
Okay, I think I know the answer to this, but I'm asking because I respect the opinions and thoughts of folks on this board.

I've been looking for a larger new to me trailer.  I found one about 3 hours from me that sounds interesting, but I'm thinking I should walk away.

The unit is a 2019 Venture Sonic bought new in September of 2019, but never used.  This can be confirmed by the storage company.  It is located in the midwest (Missouri).   The purchasers/now sellers were in the medical care field and due to Covid we too busy to use.  Now they think they are just going to sell it and wait until they retire and buy a newer larger unit.

Here are the red flags as I see them.  Owner says he bought at a local dealer who did a full walk-thru including how to use the water system.  The water was then "drained" and he brought unit to storage unit.  There the unit has sat for three years.  He has done nothing to the unit except take it out to wash it at the local truck wash.  
1.  Unit has never been winterized.
2.  Unit has sat out in summer sun for three years.  It was in covered storage during the winter months.
3.  Unit has never been serviced in any way.  (no checking for cracks in caulk etc.)

How far and fast should I run from this trailer?  Hubby thinks we can just charge up to water system and check for leaks, but I'm not sure they would be apparent since it has a closed under belly.   

I appreciate your thoughts.
Bill & Nancy
2015 RPod 179
Previously 2010 RPod 176
2014 Explorer Sport
campman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote campman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2022 at 3:31pm
You can indeed put say 1/3 tank of fresh water in the trailer. Fill all the lines with the 12 VT internal pump which will pressurized the system. Open your taps etc to get the air out. After that, close all the taps and Then go over the rest of the trailer while checking the sealant, roof seals etc, running the other items like the air-conditioning, heater etc. If you have a leak anywhere in the trailer you should hear the pump activate.

Method 2 Pressurize the water system after bleeding off any air and then turn the 12 volt pump off. After looking at everything, look for leaks and flip the 12 volt pump on. If there is a leak the pump will come on to repressurize the system. No pumping, then it should be good.

Another thing you can do is hire an rv mechanic to go with you to do a thorough check of the trailer. You are there to see what is inspected and how so you should be comfortable with their findings, whatever they may be.

Good luck, and hope this helps you out, but whatever you do, don't feel pushed or forced into buying.

I wouldn't run away from it if it is a good deal, just go in with your eyes open.

Andy
Andy and Laurie
'16 F150 5.0 4X4 w/factory tow pkg
'21 RP192
"If the women don't find you handsome...at least let them find you handy!"
Red-Green
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2022 at 4:21pm
1. Do you know and trust the seller?

2. Are there any indications that this might be a scam (such as saying that ebay motors will hold the money until you get it but you need to pay in gift cards)?

3. Is the seller wanting payment before you get a chance to go and physically see the trailer?

If the answer to 1 is no and the answers to 2 and/or 3 are yes, by all means, run away.

How do I know? I got bit by a scam before we purchased our RPod. I lost a significant amount from that scam.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
MoPod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote MoPod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2022 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by StephenH

1. Do you know and trust the seller?

2. Are there any indications that this might be a scam (such as saying that ebay motors will hold the money until you get it but you need to pay in gift cards)?

3. Is the seller wanting payment before you get a chance to go and physically see the trailer?

If the answer to 1 is no and the answers to 2 and/or 3 are yes, by all means, run away.

How do I know? I got bit by a scam before we purchased our RPod. I lost a significant amount from that scam.

Thank you for the food for thought.  

We have bought 2 trailers sight unseen through individuals.  I have found when the sellers are as concerned about being scammed as  much as you are it's probably an okay thing.  

I have had several conversations with this owner and have accumulated enough information that I feel he is trustworthy.  I know where the trailer was originally purchased, where it is currently stored, and the individual's address and the phone number is consistent with his address.  Absolutely no $$ is changing hands until we are satisfied that the trailer is as represented and title is clear.  My major concerns is that the trailer has been ignored and neglected since he bought it.  

In the past I have used the sniff test to get an idea if there has been any water intrusion.  (Don't laugh, but my hubby says I have a better nose than his high priced bird dog)  I'm a little concerned about water intrusion, but more concerned about the plumbing system.  I like the other poster's comment about listening for the water pump to kick in after the system has been brought up to pressure.

Keep your comments coming!

Bill & Nancy
2015 RPod 179
Previously 2010 RPod 176
2014 Explorer Sport
hogone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote hogone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2022 at 4:34pm
where is this
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
PilotPodder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote PilotPodder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2022 at 4:41pm
You can always hire an independent RV inspector in that neck of the woods to look at it for you for a price. If the seller is not amenable to this idea, then walk. https://nrvia.org/locate/
Portage, MI — 2017 RPod 179 - sold / 2017 Toyota Tundra — My RPod YouTube Videos
MoPod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote MoPod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2022 at 4:50pm
Originally posted by hogone

where is this

Missouri,
 where summers are hotter than Hades and winter's are below freezing for days on end.

Sorry, I just noticed you are in St Louis.  You are very familiar with our weather.  The trailer is in Rolla.
Bill & Nancy
2015 RPod 179
Previously 2010 RPod 176
2014 Explorer Sport
MoPod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote MoPod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2022 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by PilotPodder

You can always hire an independent RV inspector in that neck of the woods to look at it for you for a price. If the seller is not amenable to this idea, then walk. https://nrvia.org/locate/

This is a good thought.  I had also considered taking back to the original selling dealership and have them check it over, since it is not far from the current trailer location.
Bill & Nancy
2015 RPod 179
Previously 2010 RPod 176
2014 Explorer Sport
Ben Herman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ben Herman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2022 at 5:04pm
Its really not hard to determine if there has been damage from not being properly winterized, as others have noted simply pressurizing the system and one by one, turning on all faucets (don't forget toilet, shower and outside shower if it has one) and looking closely will disclose any leaks. I don't think that the uncovered storage should be an issue either - we keep ours stored uncovered all summer (only covered in the winter) and our sun in Colorado is brutal. Equally important is to ensure that all systems are working properly - water heater, stove, and especially the fridge in propane and electric mode. Its possible that the battery will need replacement, but that is not a high cost item. One thing in your favor is that trailers were much more reasonably priced pre-COVID, if they are offering for a fair price you might do much better than trying to buy one at 2022 prices. Around here, used trailer pricing is still high.
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2022 at 5:24pm
I think you dont need to run away,if the price being offered is appropriate for what is essentially an "abandoned" trailer.

But do a very thorough inspection. You can spend money hiring someone if you want but if you do, inspect it yourself too. Who knows how thorough someone you hire that you don't know is going to be? It's not going to be his trailer after you buy it.

I would be much more worried about hidden water damage than plumbing leaks. As others have said those are pretty easy to identify. The water pump cycling test is the best way to do it.

Climb up and check the roof and any seams for cracks. Look around all the windows for any signs of rippiling, delamination, or discoloration. Look for soft spots in the floor. Get a wood moisture meter (about $15-20 on Amazon) and use it to probe the floor anywhere you can get access.

Go under the trailer and look for water damage there too. Open seams, sagging panels, rust and corrosion. You can probe up into the flooring from underneath with the meter too if you have access.

Of course also check all the appliances and especially any electrical devices. Sitting unused in any kind of damp environment is the worst thing for electronics.

Good luck!
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>