R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

2019 "New" Unused Trailer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
MoPod View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote MoPod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2019 "New" Unused Trailer
    Posted: 05 Sep 2022 at 9:12am
Just to close the loop on this topic, we were supposed to go see this trailer today but the owner sold it yesterday to another party.  Disappointed, but now I don't have to worry about storing two trailers over the winter.  
Bill & Nancy
2015 RPod 179
Previously 2010 RPod 176
2014 Explorer Sport
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2022 at 11:53am
+1 to gpokluda.  

Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
gpokluda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2022 at 11:08am
Best of luck on your purchase if you decide to go for it. There is some good advice in the replies and it sounds like you have enough experience with RVs to know your way around them. 

One last bit of advice: They are probably more motivated to sell than you are to buy, so don't be afraid to go in low on the price based on the history of the unit and the things that could go wrong. I am the guy everyone hates who always comes in with lowball offers and I am perfectly okay with that. It's not like the RV has a ton of history and memories associated with it. 

Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179(sold 2023)
2022 Escape 5.0TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 3.5EB
Triumph T120
MoPod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote MoPod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2022 at 8:30am
Thank you all for the wonderful suggestions.  I can be a little anal, so I'll have my prepared checksheet of everything I want to check...it's so easy to forget about checking some things without it.  
Bill & Nancy
2015 RPod 179
Previously 2010 RPod 176
2014 Explorer Sport
David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote David and Danette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2022 at 5:52am
     If there is the smell of air fresheners perhaps to cover up musty smells might be a warning that the results of a water leak is being covered up. If the camper has a slide check seals and check tires if it has been sitting for a long time in dirt could damage tires. 
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2022 at 5:24pm
I think you dont need to run away,if the price being offered is appropriate for what is essentially an "abandoned" trailer.

But do a very thorough inspection. You can spend money hiring someone if you want but if you do, inspect it yourself too. Who knows how thorough someone you hire that you don't know is going to be? It's not going to be his trailer after you buy it.

I would be much more worried about hidden water damage than plumbing leaks. As others have said those are pretty easy to identify. The water pump cycling test is the best way to do it.

Climb up and check the roof and any seams for cracks. Look around all the windows for any signs of rippiling, delamination, or discoloration. Look for soft spots in the floor. Get a wood moisture meter (about $15-20 on Amazon) and use it to probe the floor anywhere you can get access.

Go under the trailer and look for water damage there too. Open seams, sagging panels, rust and corrosion. You can probe up into the flooring from underneath with the meter too if you have access.

Of course also check all the appliances and especially any electrical devices. Sitting unused in any kind of damp environment is the worst thing for electronics.

Good luck!
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Ben Herman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ben Herman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2022 at 5:04pm
Its really not hard to determine if there has been damage from not being properly winterized, as others have noted simply pressurizing the system and one by one, turning on all faucets (don't forget toilet, shower and outside shower if it has one) and looking closely will disclose any leaks. I don't think that the uncovered storage should be an issue either - we keep ours stored uncovered all summer (only covered in the winter) and our sun in Colorado is brutal. Equally important is to ensure that all systems are working properly - water heater, stove, and especially the fridge in propane and electric mode. Its possible that the battery will need replacement, but that is not a high cost item. One thing in your favor is that trailers were much more reasonably priced pre-COVID, if they are offering for a fair price you might do much better than trying to buy one at 2022 prices. Around here, used trailer pricing is still high.
MoPod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote MoPod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2022 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by PilotPodder

You can always hire an independent RV inspector in that neck of the woods to look at it for you for a price. If the seller is not amenable to this idea, then walk. https://nrvia.org/locate/

This is a good thought.  I had also considered taking back to the original selling dealership and have them check it over, since it is not far from the current trailer location.
Bill & Nancy
2015 RPod 179
Previously 2010 RPod 176
2014 Explorer Sport
MoPod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote MoPod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2022 at 4:50pm
Originally posted by hogone

where is this

Missouri,
 where summers are hotter than Hades and winter's are below freezing for days on end.

Sorry, I just noticed you are in St Louis.  You are very familiar with our weather.  The trailer is in Rolla.
Bill & Nancy
2015 RPod 179
Previously 2010 RPod 176
2014 Explorer Sport
PilotPodder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote PilotPodder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2022 at 4:41pm
You can always hire an independent RV inspector in that neck of the woods to look at it for you for a price. If the seller is not amenable to this idea, then walk. https://nrvia.org/locate/
Portage, MI — 2017 RPod 179 - sold / 2017 Toyota Tundra — My RPod YouTube Videos
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>