This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > Non-pod Discussion Forums > General non-pod discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

nuCamp Tab 320S

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: nuCamp Tab 320S
    Posted: 16 Aug 2022 at 10:54am
I was interested in taking a look at one of these and happened to have the opportunity yesterday to do so.

As we will eventually be downsizing vehicles I was interested in looking at something that is comfortably towable by a compact SUV with tow capacity the range of 2500-3500 lbs. The 320S falls into that weight range. I am also looking for a quality improvement over the rPod standard.

The layout is very nice, getting everything necessary into a quite small form factor. There really isn't anything missing in it relative to what was in my 179, just more compact. And it has some things which I think are better: I especially liked the option of setting up the bed as two twins or as a (almost) queen. That adds significant flexibility in sleeping arrangements depending on who you are camping with and individual preferences.

I also liked the heavily constructed rack above the rear roof area which can be used for bikes or other stuff. I'd probably use it for additional solar capacity. The spare tire mounts under the tongue out of the way unless you get the Boondock version with the big off road tires, but I wouldn't, I don't see the point of off road tires on a travel trailer.

Construction and workmanship looked very nice throughout. There is no wood used in the frame, walls, roof, or floors so water intrusion should be much less of a concern than with the rPod design.

The component selection was also quite impressive. nuCamp uses a Dexter torsion axle, which has a better reputation than the rPod's Lippert axle. They use the Alde combo space and water heat system, which appears to be an excellent, compact and efficient system. It uses a floor mounted 6000 btu/hr a/c unit which eliminates the big roof a/c. I also liked the casette toilet which would add flexibility while boondocking. I think the 19 gal FWT is appropriately sized for a small trailer and would be adequate. The fridge is now apparently a Danfoss based 12V compressor type rather than the cantankerous absorption variety. You can also order them with microwave deleted and more storage which I would probably do.

Things I didn't like. Really just three: I couldn't quite stand up in the unit (I'm 5' 11" and it looks like the ceiling height at its highest point is 5' 9"). Not really a big deal for me but if you are much taller it could be pretty uncomfortable. It comes with a flexible solar module glued to the front roof area. "Flexible" solar modules are a pet peeve of mine, probably not an issue for most folks. Finally while it has a very nice spacious aluminum propane and battery enclosure, there is no provision to lock it. Of course that can easily be added but it seems like an obvious omission to me.

MSRP is in the mid to high $20K range depending on options which is high but I think not dramatically high relative to rPods considering the quality differences.

I will definitely consider buying one if and when we are ready to hit the road again. I wonder if I could pick one up at the factory in OH and talk them into leaving the "flexible" solar module off?

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2022 at 2:56pm
Interested in hearing about the Danfoss fridge.  Does it run on both propane and 120 shore power?

God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote David and Danette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2022 at 3:04pm
    I was looking for a small camper to tow with our Kia Soul towing capacity 2,000 pounds. The closest I found that I thought I might like was Little Guy Tab XL but not sure if I could adjust to that small of a camper. The quality is good but you are paying for the quality too though it would be easy to tow with our Kia Soul.
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2022 at 3:48pm
Jato, the Danfoss compressors are 12V only. They are much more efficient than the classic RV absorption fridges though and with inexpensive solar readily available now to run them it seems like more and more RV manufacturers are switching over to them. They will use as much power as they need to maintain their temp setpoints, unlike the absorption type, so they will get and keep things cold even in very hot conditions, like a standard household fridge, as long as they have power. Depending on how hot it is they might use around 25-35 amp hours per day in maintenance mode, so something like a 120 watt solar module or an extra hour generator recharge time or an extra 100 amp hours battery for every couple of days boondocking should do it.

StephenH is our resident expert on this type fridge as he recently installed one in his 179. My experience with the Danfoss compressors is in medical vaccine fridges going back to work I did in the early 80s and in cruising sailboat use. I like them a lot, they are good units with an excellent reliability record in some pretty demanding applications.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2022 at 5:42pm
Sounds like a really nice trailer.  It'd be nice if you could rent one for a week or so and try it out.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2022 at 8:54am
That is a good idea LA. The dealer I stopped at did have a couple used ones on the lot but doesn't rent them. nuCamp has a list of dealers who sometimes rent, but none are nearby us (not much is).

BTW they do offer regular factory construction tours at their Ohio facility so I would definitely go do that before buying to see if their workmanship is really what they claim it to be.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2022 at 9:12am
I have two types of 12V refrigeration. One is the Dometic which uses a compressor. The other is a chest style cooler which uses a Free Piston Sterling Cooler. The FPSC cooler was originally used for pharmaceuticals, and I picked it up at our local ReStore. I have not seen any since.

FPSC cooler: Works great for holding steady temperatures, even in hot car. Very energy efficient. I don't have an amperage draw, but I have left it plugged into the truck's 12V outlet overnight and it did not drain the battery, unlike the thermoelectric coolers. The down side is the capacity is limited and being a chest type, has no shelves.

Dometic: Refrigerator and freezer. Works well. Capacity is better than the RM-8951 because it has squared off produce bins instead of the curved one. Door storage isn't as deep, but the cabinet more than makes up for it. Freezer keeps things frozen. The down side is that it does use more power than the FPSC cooler. I installed a 200AH LiFePO4 battery. On hot summer nights, it will use about 25-30 AH. When we are driving, there is no worry about propane and the DC to DC charger I installed will recharge the battery. We can't boondock as many days, but we can boondock, especially if I use the solar panel or the generator to extend or recharge the battery.

There are things to like about the 3-way. However, since I always had problems in hot weather with it keeping things cold enough, I am happy to no longer have to worry about food getting too warm and going bad.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply