R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Refrigerator Not Cooling

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
hogone View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote hogone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Refrigerator Not Cooling
    Posted: 17 Aug 2022 at 8:11am
Mike:  I am experiencing the identical issue as you have described.  I went as far as replacing the entire burner assembly which included the probes/etc.  NO luck.  I talked with a RV service person, and he definately mentioned the gas valve.  Im ready to give up and will just live without gas for the fridge.  Everything else works on gas.  Jon
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
mikeyg2347 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote mikeyg2347 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2022 at 7:35am
Probes are situated properly and working. I've determined that I have gas as far as the gas control valve but not beyond that. I replaced the green insulator with multiple strips of electrical tape and I have power on both sides of the control valve. If the solenoid is working should I hear it engaging? 
Mike
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2022 at 1:37pm
http://https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1606205/Dometic-Rm-8-Series.html

Try this link instead.

As for the probes, one of them is the electrode. The other would sit in the flame. That is the flame detector. If it does not detect a flame, it would cut off the gas to prevent a gas build-up and potential fire. I don't have the RM-8501 any more so I can't check. However, you should be able to trace the wire and see which one is the electrode for ignition and which is the flame detector. If I'm looking at the pictures correctly, the ignitor has the copper-colored wire and the ionization (flame) detector has a black wire. Be sure both of those are plugged into the correct location.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote mikeyg2347 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2022 at 12:49pm
The little green ceramic or plastic piece is definitely an insulator. I applied about 6 small strips of electrical tape in its place and got 1.5 volts on both sides. It still wouldn't ignite, so I pulled the burner again to re-check the gap on the igniters. The front igniter is 1/8" away from the burner and the back one (the one with the 90 degree angle) is at least 1/4" if not more. Not sure what the gap on the back should be or what its function is. They're both extremely rigid and I'd be surprised if the back one had moved out of position, but I'm a total amateur at this so I'm not assuming anything. 

Stephen: I tried that link but it wouldn't work for me. Looked on the manualslib site and could only find installation and operators manuals, no service manual.
Mike
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2022 at 8:33am
http://https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1606205/Dometic-Rm-8-Series.html#product-RM%208501

Scroll down until you see the Service Manual. That will have a breakdown of the parts but it does not break down the gas control valve. It may have other information that will help you figure out what is happening though.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote mikeyg2347 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2022 at 7:29am
That's what I'm hoping. I'm going to make some calls this morning and see what I can find. The only gas control valve I can find online is $450. A lot of money for a tiny ceramic part.
Mike
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2022 at 5:29am
Originally posted by StephenH

You may be right if the green ceramic piece was also an electrical insulator. Unfortunately, I can only speculate. I don't know if the Dometic site has an exploded diagram and parts list for the valve. You could search there.

+1  Since your electrode gap is fine, I would agree with StephenH, a cracked electrical insulator is highly suspect.  Hopefully you can get that part, and if not, go to an RV store and they may have one you can remove off of another discarded fridge that they have lying around in their dump pile.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2022 at 8:19am
You may be right if the green ceramic piece was also an electrical insulator. Unfortunately, I can only speculate. I don't know if the Dometic site has an exploded diagram and parts list for the valve. You could search there.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote mikeyg2347 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2022 at 8:07am
Right. The gap is good.
Mike
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2022 at 7:37am
The adjustment on the igniter gap is critical for the gas valve to open.  Per the owners manual it states the igniter is to be 3/16" from the burner and is to have a gap of 1/8" between the probes.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>