R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Refrigerator Not Cooling

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote mikeyg2347 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Refrigerator Not Cooling
    Posted: 18 Aug 2022 at 12:31pm
Hogone, any progress with your fridge issue?
Mike
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2022 at 4:03pm
mikeyg2347, I think your plan is sound. I wouldn't throw more money after an older absorption fridge either. They typically only last about 10 years anyway. As for doing a Li battery upgrade, if you're not comfortable, remember that it's optional, you could just stick with your current batteries if you prefer.

That being said, it's really not that difficult, and if or when you have questions we'll be happy to help!
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2022 at 4:32pm
Also note that many (though certainly not all) LFP batteries have built-in voltage regulators such that you can connect them to a plain vanilla lead acid charger without harming them.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2022 at 6:55pm
BUT a lead-acid charger will not fully charge a LiFePO4 battery. The charging profile is different. Charge voltage is 14.2-14.6V according to my manual. Also, there is no float charge with LiFePO4 batteries because they have a very slow self-discharge rate. Disconnected, one could expect it to hold the charge over a year. The Bulk/Absorption/Float modes of the stock lead-acid charger are not correct.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
mikeyg2347 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote mikeyg2347 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2022 at 7:33pm
I've been looking online at Dometic 110E fridges and found a couple of sources on Ebay for less than $900. Which naturally makes me wonder why so cheap? I've made a couple of inquiries to find out why they're such a bargain. Last year's model? 
Mike
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2022 at 10:26pm
If you can find one at that price, new, with manufacturer's warranty, Great! But make sure it is the right size. The one I saw at that price was New/Other. Mine had the warranty. It came in handy when it needed to be replaced due to a fault in the floor where it cracked. No problem with the refrigeration though. Contact the seller before purchasing to make sure it will be supported by Dometic if there is a problem. A to Z Resellers does not give me a warm and fuzzy feeling.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2022 at 4:21am
Originally posted by StephenH

BUT a lead-acid charger will not fully charge a LiFePO4 battery. The charging profile is different. Charge voltage is 14.2-14.6V according to my manual. Also, there is no float charge with LiFePO4 batteries because they have a very slow self-discharge rate. Disconnected, one could expect it to hold the charge over a year. The Bulk/Absorption/Float modes of the stock lead-acid charger are not correct.

This is why I was careful to say "best practice" was to install a DC/DC converter for alternator charging.

That being said, if I were converting to Li right now I think I would get two of the cheapest 100AH batteries I could (there are some for under $300 each on Amazon), install a new ac converter (an excuse to go to Progressive Dynamics because I've had a very poor experience with WFCO), get or reset my solar charge controller for Li charging, and try the alternator charging as is.

That would give me two solid charge sources set up for Li, and one marginal one as backup while driving. Most automotive alternators regulate voltage to around 14V, so if there isn't a large load causing high voltage drop on the house batteries (like the absorption fridge on 12V) the charging should be at least fair, although they won't reach full charge.

I would also relocate the batteries to the interior of the trailer rather than spend the extra money and waste energy with the self heating type sitting on the tongue. But I'm a cheapskate so I'm not necessarily recommending this approach for everyone.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
mikeyg2347 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote mikeyg2347 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2022 at 8:16am
Stephen H, what width opening is necessary for the CRX 110E? My current opening for the 8501 is about 20.75". Dometic lists the "flush frame opening" for the CRX 110E as 23.35". One of the sellers on Ebay listed the width of the CRX 110E as 20.5" which I asked them to confirm. I know you had to make your opening a little wider, but if the actual width of the fridge is over 23" I'm pretty sure I can't accommodate that in my 171. So, I guess it all hinges on the definition of "flush frame opening".
Mike
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2022 at 9:44am
Actual total width with the mounting frame is approximately 23.5" (quick, imprecise measurement) so the 23.35" is probably correct for the total width. The cut-out opening, however, is going to be more like 21.25" which is an estimate because the actual width is hidden behind the frame and I don't want to take the refrigerator out to measure more precisely. Hopefully, this will give you a better idea. Also, some of them might not come with the frame. Because the frame attaches on the outside, the 20.75" of the one seller is likely the model without the frame. In that case, there are covers for openings through which screws can be used to secure the refrigerator in place.

For example, this one does not have the mounting frame pictured, so it likely is not included in the package.

It also specifically states in the description, "No warranty."

The one I purchased cost more, but the warranty was worth the extra cost. 
Edit:  I fixed the link in this post and in my prior post. If you go to the West Marine link, it shows one with the flange so you can see the difference.

StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
hogone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote hogone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2022 at 6:54am
Mike:  Before my last ditch effort, I basically wasnt getting a thing excempt for some sparking; maybe a very quick lite of gas.  Pretty much knowing that I was waisting money, I decided to put on a new regulator.  Now it sparks, lights for about 10 seconds, then blows out.  I just dont get it!!  Hogone
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>