R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

R-Pod 153

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote JCurtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: R-Pod 153
    Posted: 07 Aug 2022 at 3:46pm
We are contemplating purchasing a R-pod 153. We will be towing it with a 2018 GMC Canyon crew cab midsize pickup. Do I need a weight distribution hitch/sway bars? If so what make and model?
Two dealers said that because the trailer is small we would not need them.  I have always felt that weight distribution on the trailer, hitch weight and Tow vehicle weight had more to do with sway than the general size of the trailer.  Thoughts anyone?  Thanks

Turtle
Turtle
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2022 at 5:13pm
Sounds like you don't need a wdh but you might want one, it's a personal choice.

As for sway, that is a function of how you load the trailer. You want at least 10-11% of total trailer weight to be on the tongue. Best way is to weigh the trailer and tongue fully loaded and see where you are in reality. don't count on the numbers FR publishes.

If you are 11% of better on the tongue you probably don't need sway control, but as with weight distribution, you might feel things are more comfortable with it.

And yes, you can get either one without the other, or you can get a hitch that does both.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
JCurtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JCurtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2022 at 6:53pm
Ok so I went out and checked the max hitch weight on the truck receiver hitch - 900 lbs.  The UVW of the trailer is 3159 lbs, the CCC is 1571 lbs which yields a GVWR of 4730 lbs.  The truck spec says it can handle up to 7000 lbs but I don't want to push anywhere near that.  When you say "11% or better" do you mean less than 11% or more then 11%.  I presume I do not need a WDH but sway bars may be smart.  Where should I look for a make and model of sway bars for this truck and trailer combo?

Thanks,
Turtle
Turtle
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mjlrpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2022 at 10:21am
Hi, You would want 10 - 15 % on the tongue weight.  If the tongue is lighter you will experience sway at some point. Having a WDH is never a bad idea. You may not NEED it, but it will always improve your towing experience. Many WDH have built in sway control. Me personally, I would say get a WDH with sway control. It's one of those better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it scenarios. I use a Fastway E2 600/6000 WDH w/ square spring bars. It works really good on my set up. Nissan Frontier pulling 3700 pounds dry weight.
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2022 at 10:47am
For 8 years I kept the tongue weight at 11-12% towing a 177 with a couple different Explorer's and never experienced trailer sway even in high cross winds utilizing a simple $ 40 Curt friction bar.  For the past 3+ years using the same 177, same friction bar, but a F-150 instead at the same 11-12% tongue weight and getting the same results - no trailer sway.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2022 at 7:42pm
To clarify, you want at least 10% and preferably 11% or more of the total trailer weight to be on the tongue. There have been reports of sway on rpods at or around 10% tongue weight, so 11% will give you some margin. Also, be aware that the weight on the tongue can change significantly with how you load the trailer. For example, my 179 tongue weight went down about 3% as we boondocked and the 30 gallons in our forward mounted fresh tank moved to our aft mounted gray tank. Other rpod floorplans could go the other direction.

I worked out my loading so that my trailer was around 14% when carrying 30 gal of fresh water and 11% when carrying 30 gal of gray water.

Check out this video to see how excess aft loading causes low tongue weight and sway.

sway video

If you do get sway control just consider it adding a belt to your suspenders, get your tongue weight where it needs to be to avoid getting sway in the first place.

An easy way to get your actual trailer and tongue weight is to go through a scale twice. Load the trailer just as you will actually do while using it.

First with the trailer, get the weight of the 2 tow vehicle axles and also the total rig weight. Then drop the trailer and weigh the TV. Total rig - TV from second weighing = trailer weight. Tongue weight = combined weight of the 2 TV axles with the trailer - TV without the trailer.

You can do this at a public truck scale but you also might be able to do it for free at your county waste transfer station.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
JCurtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JCurtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2022 at 7:48pm
Friends,

Thank you very much for the info. Just what I needed.  The video is eye opening. Every trailer owner should watch it - RV trailer, utility trailer, toy hauler, landscaper trailer etc.

Peace,
Turtle
Turtle
 Post Reply Post Reply