This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Composting Toilet

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote RoverPod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Composting Toilet
    Posted: 08 Aug 2022 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by gpokluda

Dumping gray water is actually legal in most states, of course there are restrictions and caveats so best to consult local laws before doing so. New Mexico, for instance, allows 200 gallons of gray water to be discharged without a permit. BLM usually allows gray water dumping on surface but National Forests and Army Corps of Engineers do not. Best to know your options.

Here's an article written after some research on grey water dumping by Boondockers Bible.

https://www.boondockersbible.com/knowledgebase/can-i-dump-my-gray-water-on-the-ground/
2017 F150 XLT SuperCab
2020 rPod 180
gpokluda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2022 at 7:45pm
Thanks, RoverPod. That's how we understand it as well. Once, on an extended stay in a National Forest, the Ranger allowed us to drain some of our grey water. We used a garden hose adapter on our grey drain cap and bucket to water some of the trees and bushes in camp. I don't think the fact that we made the Ranger and camp hosts thin crust pizza in our portable pizza oven played any part in the deal. LOL
Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179(sold 2023)
2022 Escape 5.0TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 3.5EB
Triumph T120
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2022 at 9:03pm
I would not want to camp in a place where the immediate prior occupant emptied the grey water tank. That is a health hazard. Just because you can do something does not mean that you should do so.

That being said, I once dumped an almost full black water tank on the highway when the factory (reinforced) hangers (yes, two of them) broke. The end dragged and the valve opened. I had to replace the valve and I now use a heavy muffler hanger to hang the pipe. There won't be a third time if I can help it. I am very glad I wasn't behind the trailer. The only thing was it was a hot summer day with lots of sunshine, so I hope the UV rays in the sunshine killed any bacteria quickly. I feel sorry for anyone who was back there. I did not even know about it until someone passing flagged me and let me know there was a problem. I did not know what the problem was until I got to an exit and pulled off though.

Check your tank hangers. A composting toilet (to get back on topic) would have helped avoid this situation as there would not have been a tank full of nasty stuff in the first place.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12