This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Composting Toilet

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Composting Toilet
    Posted: 07 Aug 2022 at 12:04pm
Greetings all. Anyone have any real world experience with composting toilets in an RV or van? We are specing out a new RV and trying to decide if we should stay with a typical black-tank flush toilet or composter. Our goal is to reduce water usage and have more flexibility regarding waste disposal. Lots of differing opinions on the internet ranging from truly horrifying and disgusting experiences to "no-big-deal". My wife and I are experienced back packers and bare bones campers and have had to dig our share of cat holes, so I can't imagine having a composter would be that bad but we would like to hear some opinions.
Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179(sold 2023)
2022 Escape 5.0TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 3.5EB
Triumph T120
David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote David and Danette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2022 at 1:19pm
 If you do a search " composting toilet " on this forum you will find a couple of posts on it. They are old posts 2014 but may have some interest to you.
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tars Tarkas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2022 at 2:05pm
No experience with composting toilets but a big reason to buy most RVs is to have indoor, self-contained plumping.  With an R-Pod you have 30 gallons of fresh water, a 30 gallon grey tank and a 30 gallon black tank.  Typically, you will always need to drain your grey tank before you need to drain you black tank, and you won't need to drain either until you need more fresh water.  Meaning you'll need to find a dump station for your grey tank and may as well empty your black tank at the same time. 

If you don't want to use that much water there are less expensive campers that aren't fully-enclosed.  I figure if I paid for indoor plumbing (because I want it), I'm going to use it.  There are ways to manage the water in an RPod so as to use less too, if you insist.

My mind isn't closed to the idea of a composting toilet but it seems like extra expense and effort to me to solve a mostly theoretical problem.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mjlrpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2022 at 2:26pm
The only experience I have with them is as follows. About ten years ago a major interstate rest area was completely overhauled, going in both directions. So that is two separate bathrooms that are on opposing sides of a three lane highway. When they opened they touted how great this technology was by having big signs telling us the were composting toilets, and how it works, and how it might save the planet. A few years after it opened, it suddenly was shut down. Soon after about 20 outhouses were brought in. The building (both sides) has been closed ever since. Not even the information area is open. YMMV
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2022 at 4:33pm
The benefit of so called composting toilets in rvs is not having to go to a dump station. But that assumes you empty your gray tank on the surface, which is illegal most places. I could see getting one if you were camping on private property where you could dump your graywater on the surface. Otherwise not so much.

I put composting in quotes because RV compostjng toilets aren't really true composting toilets, that usually takes many months and a big storage chamber. The RV "composting" toilet is more a way to store semi dry material for a little while until you can dispose of it. For that reason the RV composting toilets have to have a way to separate urine and feces, which are then disposed of separately. There is also a 12v vent fan to minimize odors. IOW, it's significantly more complex than having a flush toilet and blank tank.

You also typically have to add coconut choir or other similar material to balance out the organic content.

Another alternative to consider is the cassette toilet, which is basically a port a pot with a separate storage container you access from outside the trailer. That can then be dumped in a regular toilet or at a dump station, giving you options without the hassle of the "composting".
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Linda&Gino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Linda&Gino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2022 at 4:41pm
Thanks for the input everyone. We went with the composting toilet.
gpokluda
2017 Rpod R179 SOLD!
2022 Escape 5.0 TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 EB3.5
Triumph T120 Bonneville
gpokluda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2022 at 5:11pm
Dumping gray water is actually legal in most states, of course there are restrictions and caveats so best to consult local laws before doing so. New Mexico, for instance, allows 200 gallons of gray water to be discharged without a permit. BLM usually allows gray water dumping on surface but National Forests and Army Corps of Engineers do not. Best to know your options.
Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179(sold 2023)
2022 Escape 5.0TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 3.5EB
Triumph T120
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2022 at 5:19pm
The only federal land management agency that doesn't expressly prohibit graywater dumping is the BLM. I've personally never been in a state park that allows it. So it might be possible in some situations but for most folks most of the time, it's not allowed.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2022 at 6:33pm
Again to reiterate what I have posted elsewhere, once grey water is put in a tank, it has to be treated as if it were black water in NC. You can use grey water only in a drought and then by hand watering non-food trees and shrubs. So, you could take your dish pan and water a shrub with it during a drought, but not during "normal" times. Put it in a tank, and then you would need to have a water treatment plant to run it though before being able to use that water. The grey water tank can stink pretty badly because bacteria also grow there. That is why it has to be considered the same as black water.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2022 at 6:14am
+1. True graywater disposal systems are designed to immediately disperse the waste water into the soil. As soon as the water enters a storage tank in begins to undergo anaerobic decomposition which turns it into blackwater.

Composting toilets combined with graywater dispersal systems were a "thing" in the green homebuilding community 30 years ago until people realized that there was really no significant benefit (and a lot more complexity) vs just installing a traditional septic system. I could be wrong but I doubt anyone is installing these systems in new green homes nowadays.

For RVs if I were to get another one I think I'd consider a casette toilet and graywater tank combination like what is used on the Nucamp Tab trailers. Adds a little flexibility if one is camped in one of the few dispersed camping areas where immediate graywater dispersal is allowed and the casette can be emptied in a toilet or outhouse.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>