R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Is it safe to mount things to walls?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote npalumbo89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is it safe to mount things to walls?
    Posted: 03 Aug 2022 at 7:08am
New owner of a 2022 Rpod 190, Im wondering is it safe to use small screws to attach things to the interior walls? Not sure if adhesive will do the trick on some things.

Thanks in advance
Nicholas Palumbo
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2022 at 7:19am
Short is the word. Adhesive will work for lightweight things. Make sure the screws are less than an inch long. The problem is if you want to attach something heavy. The interior wall is very thin and won't provide much grip strength. If it is heavy, I would recommend not mounting it. A lot depends on where you want to mount it. If it is in an area where there is something backing up the wall, such as on an inside wall at a corner where there is framing, that has more strength thanb the middle of the panel where there is only air behind it.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2022 at 7:26am
+1  Also be careful when using velcro.  Many years ago we added velcro to the walls where the backs of the seat cushions lay to keep them upright and not fall down during travel.  Found out that IF the interior temp is very hot and if you aren't careful when pulling off the item the cheap paper will pull off with the velcro.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
npalumbo89 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote npalumbo89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2022 at 7:49am
Okay great to know! I didn’t realize it was a paper material. But I guess that would make sense. I definitely wasn’t considering anything heavy. The first thing I was thinking about doing was some sort of retractable clothes line for the front sleeping area and use as a method to hang a curtain to separate the area. The corners definitely make sense. Thanks for the tips!!
Nicholas Palumbo
Pod People View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pod People Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2022 at 6:11pm
for light things, we have found that Command hooks work well.  There is a large variety of different sizes and styles. They are available at all of the big box stores.
We use them in the shower to hang towels, on the walls for hats, headlights and other light articles.
Read the directions and prepare the wall accordingly to make them adhere the best.
Travel safe and often
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2022 at 8:15pm
Rather than have a clothes line that is under tension, consider a spring-loaded shower rod that is under compression. Also, make a couple of wooden brackets drilled out to put over the ends. Attach one on either side of the RPod and put the rod in. That will make a much sturdier way to hang a divider curtain.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote npalumbo89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2022 at 9:54pm
That’s a great idea. Thank you! I also have a big pick up the command hooks too. I came across some adhesive metal strips that I could attach magnets to things and then to that.
Nicholas Palumbo
gpokluda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2022 at 2:15pm
We have had good luck with Command hooks as well for lighter things. We do have a few items mounted using screws. We use the 1" particle board screws from Lowes with a dab of wood glue on the threads. Don't pre-drill and hand screw them only and you should be good to go.

Ditto on the spring loaded shower curtain rods for drying towels and clothes. Not sure it matters, but we take them down while traveling. Hate to stop and see big, gaping holes in the wall from the rods.

Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179(sold 2023)
2022 Escape 5.0TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 3.5EB
Triumph T120
CAPTKIDD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote CAPTKIDD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2022 at 3:12pm
I use Alien Tape to attach things to the walls it will even hold heavy things.  t is removeable and wont mar the walls in any way
CAPTKIDD
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote npalumbo89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2022 at 3:56pm
Thank you for the tips. Didn’t consider taking down the tension rod while traveling but that is definitely something I’ll look to avoid.
Nicholas Palumbo
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>