R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: Dangerous situation-propane hose wear from screw
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Dangerous situation-propane hose wear from screw

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote BH Podder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dangerous situation-propane hose wear from screw
    Posted: 02 Aug 2022 at 11:58am
Hello, we're new to this group.  We have an rpod 177 which we purchased new in 2018 in Wisconsin. 

I just encountered an issue that could have been disastrous and wanted to see if anyone else might have encountered this issue, and what we should do to fix it.  The other day I happened to pull back the bed plywood and noticed that the propane hose and also 120 wire were chewed up from two long, sharp screws that hold some of the wood together by the water pump and go through into the bed frame/panel wood. The wire and hose are held together by cable ties and attached to to bed frame to keep it away from heater I assume but as a result hold the bundle close to the screws. The rubbing from vibrations during travel nearly cut clear through the propane hose insulation and also cut the wire insulation. Considering the hose is right next to the heater this could have easily created a massive fire if it suddenly started to leak when the heater was on. I can't believe FR would use long screws in this area; they're extremely sharp and extend nearly an inch. Has anyone else encountered this problem? You might want to have a look in that area as I had looked in there many times to close the water heater, etc., but had never noticed those screws before. Obviously different models may not have this issue, but I would think 178, 171, etc. have a similar layout as mine and might have this issue.

I'm also not sure if this is something I can fix myself. It appears that it's only about a 3 foot section of hose from the heater to a metal T on the outside of floor/undercarriage. But I'm guessing it might be hard to remove/unscrew the gas line from the T and heater. And I am guessing patching it with pipe tape and a clamp probably wouldn't be advisable. Any suggestions would be most appreciated. I've attached a few photos.

StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2022 at 12:46pm
I'm glad you found this before it became a disaster.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2022 at 1:04pm
It would probably be a good idea to document this situation with the NTSB.  I'll bet that your trailer isn't the only one with this very dangerous defect.  Glad you found it before anything awful happened.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
BH Podder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote BH Podder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2022 at 1:42pm
I did report it to the NHTSA.  It would be good to know if others have encountered this issue.  
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2022 at 2:23pm
Yikes, another case of bad/careless workmanship from FR. Guess we should t be surprised anymore. Anyhow, I would replace the propane line. The electric cable looks like it will be ok if you tape it, but be sure the conductors didn't get damaged.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
BH Podder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote BH Podder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2022 at 2:43pm
Yeah, probably best to replace the hose.  I haven't called FR yet, but I'd like to see if they would cover the cost of having the dealer do this work. I was planning to get the sewer pipe recall done soon anyway.  But I'm not holding my breath, either.  Certainly cheaper for them than a wrongful death lawsuit.  
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2022 at 5:38pm
Thank you for the pic's.  I purchased my 177 back in January 2011.  Looked at our setup and it is totally different routing than what is shown on your 177.  Our water pump is held down by 4 screws that go into the floor on the slide, I took one out and it measured 1" in length.  I did not remove the whole piece of luan but have a 5" x 7" opening cut above the 3 valves for winterizing ect.  Shown a flashlight at the furnace and all looks well.  Thanks for posting this, obviously some major changes in routing took place between our 2011 and your 2018 model.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2022 at 6:30pm
Jato, not sure anyone should count on these changes being planned or controlled in any way. It seems like the guys building these pretty much do what they want, can't count on any two trailers being built the same way.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2022 at 1:36am
Good point OG.  A lot depends on who is working on the assembly line, what day of the week it is, if the worker is under pressure to put out more pods/day and the list goes on and on as to why there is such variability in build quality. 

In our case we were blessed.  Maybe due to the selling dealer as our 177 was spotless, no sawdust, no loose 'parts' floating around even in the dark corners in storage and non storage areas; then again, that was March 2011.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
BH Podder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote BH Podder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2022 at 9:50pm
UPDATE: I meant to post an update here but things kind of got away from me.  About 3-4 days after posting to NHTSA, I got a call from Susan Thornberg at FR requesting some photos which I sent right away.  The next day she notified me that FR would pick up the repair costs and to schedule with the dealer to replace the hose that was torn up by the screw.  So even though I was quite annoyed with FR for this happening in the first place, I was at least pleased by how quickly they rectified the situation.  
Jamie Harris & Mary Brehm of Wisconsin
2018.5 Rpod 177, 2019 Subaru Ascent
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>