This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

My 19,000 mile, 87 day road trip

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote CAPTKIDD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My 19,000 mile, 87 day road trip
    Posted: 30 Jul 2022 at 1:25pm
I just got home two days ago from my big around the country road trip.  The following is a breakdown of costs and stuff.

Total days on the road 87
Total miles driven 19,024
Total dollars spent $20,201.03
Total gas cost $5,821.57
Total camping costs $6,975.18
Total miscellaneous $3,496.37
Total accident pay out $3,907.94
Total cost per day $232.20
Total cost per mile $1.06
Total countries visited 2
Total Canadian provinces visited 8
Total states visited 23.

I had allocated $20,000 for this trip and I was almost on the money.  So all in all it was a great adventure and I am really glad I was able to do it.

I have three more road trips in mind, one to visit the remaining 27 states I didn't get to this trip, one to go back up into British Columbia and go to Williams Lake, Bella Colla, and Vancouver island, one just a short 4 or 5 day trip down to Visalia, CA and across Sherman Pass (the only pass over the Sierra's I haven't been over) to Coso Jct. on hyw 395.  This is the way my great grandfather traveled in the late 1800s to mine gold on what is now China Lake Laval Weapons station.  Hopefully I will be able to do all three.

HAPPY TRAILS!
CAPTKIDD
poohbill View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote poohbill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2022 at 2:14pm
A good trip, then. I'd like to do the Canadian piece myself.
2016 179 Gastropod
2017 Ridgeline
poston View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote poston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2022 at 2:44pm
Sounds awesome!

Originally posted by CAPTKIDD

Total accident pay out $3,907.94

But you can't get away with just a line item for that!

Details (& photos) please!

--
Jim
Virginia City, Nevada
2016 R-pod 180
2015 Nissan Xterra Pro-4X
CAPTKIDD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote CAPTKIDD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2022 at 10:12am
I was turning right out of a parking lane at Costco and did not pull far enough out before I turned and clipped a car that was parked at the end of the line.  Only damage to the RPod was to the small black fender.  Had to replace it.  The damage was to the car.  I thought the price to fix it was high by about $1,ooo but as I was leaving the area that same day I said oh well and paid it.
CAPTKIDD
gpokluda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2022 at 2:54pm
Sounds like a great trip despite the accident. Glad it wasn't worse and you made it home safe. How did your Rpod and tow vehicle hold up? Any major issues?
Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179(sold 2023)
2022 Escape 5.0TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 3.5EB
Triumph T120
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2022 at 4:06pm
Sounds like me at a concrete island at a gas pump. I straightened the fender as best I could. There was some yellow paint on the water heater access hatch and at the strip on the bottom of the trailer as well. That taught me to not try to squeeze in at a gas pump without making sure there was adequate room to clear both the truck and trailer.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
CAPTKIDD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote CAPTKIDD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2022 at 5:22pm
Other than the ding to the fender there were no issues with either the RPod or my 2016 Dodge Durango which now has 130,000 miles on it and I figured my mileage at 13.5 mpg overall.  That's with me driving 55 mph.
CAPTKIDD
poston View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote poston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2022 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by CAPTKIDD

I was turning right out of a parking lane at Costco and did not pull far enough out before I turned and clipped a car that was parked at the end of the line.

That's a bummer!

When I was towing my Rpod back home from where we bought it, I turned too sharply getting out of a gas station bay in a crowded, cramped tourist trap (Death Valley Fruit & Nut, Beatty, Nevada.  I didn't hit anything, but came very close to the roof pillars (single-digit millimeters!).  Very little room to back up or pull forward.  After about a dozen back-and-forths, I was able to pull out with no damage, except to my pride and stress to impatient tourists.

--
Jim
Virginia City, Nevada
2016 R-pod 180
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2022 at 4:26pm
I've bought gas there several times too.  It's a really tight squeeze and lots of cars in the way.  Glad to hear that you were able to get out safely.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
poston View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote poston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2022 at 5:28pm
Originally posted by lostagain

I've bought gas there several times too.  It's a really tight squeeze and lots of cars in the way.

Yeah, it's really not designed for trailers.  It's a good thing my wife and I are chill, or it would be quickie divorce time in Reno!  (after 30+ years!)

--
Jim
Virginia City, Nevada
2016 R-pod 180
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>