R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

No Power (resolved)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote ampete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No Power (resolved)
    Posted: 18 Jul 2022 at 8:37am
Just finished a great camping trip. Got home, disconnected from TV and there's no power in the camper-zero!  I checked fuses in the fuse box under the dinette table (2014 R Pod 171) and all are good.  No breakers tripped (we did use shore power on our trip). Lights, etc work fine when plugged into the TV.
Fairly new batteries, 2 6V in series.  Tested all power sources before the trip, including the batteries, all good. 

Where else should I look for something that might be tripped?

Where is the converter?

Thanks!
Pete
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2022 at 9:25am
Hello Pete,

Okay, if you are not connected to shore power, you will not have any live AC outlets. I am guessing that you have no DC power either since you say that lights, etc. work fine when plugged into the TV. To answer the question about the converter, if your RPod has the WFCO-8955 converter, then it is below the breakers and fuses. Remove the front (4 screws), and the whole front panel comes off. You will see the converter below that. For safety, be sure to unplug from shore power before removing the front.

During the camping trip, was everything working okay?

Do you have a multimeter? If so, check the 2 6V batteries connected in series, both individually and together.

Did you connect the black cable to the positive terminal and the white to the negative terminal? If you reversed them, you probably blew the two 40A fuses in the power center. They are in the middle, between the AC breakers and the DC fuses.

Did you purchase this used? If so, did the previous owner install a battery cut-off switch? If so, is it turned on?

Please post battery readings when you check and whether the two 40A fuses are intact or blown.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
ampete View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote ampete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2022 at 10:55am
Many thanks Stephen...I will check all of the above.  I need to borrow a meter from a neighbor, so it may take me some time.   
I checked the 2 40A fuses last night and both were intact. I will ask the previous owner if there is a battery cut off switch, I don't think there is? 

I appreciate your advice.
Pete
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2022 at 12:57pm
ampete, you may want to consider buying an inexpensive multi-meter.  It's a very important tool to have in your tool box when you're on the road and have urgent electrical repairs to make.  Here is a cheap one from Amazon:  https://www.amazon.com/Multimeter-Continuity-Multimeters-Multifunction-Protective/dp/B08LD6PDQQ/ref=asc_df_B08LD6PDQQ/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=475752358038&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3145232585621080574&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9003304&hvtargid=pla-1098529622830&psc=1 It costs $8.80.  You can also get an even cheaper one at Harbor Freight for $7.

Good luck in tracking down the problem.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
ampete View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote ampete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2022 at 2:10pm
Thanks---I've meant to get one.  I'm thinking it might be easy enough to learn with you tube.
ampete View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote ampete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2022 at 2:15pm
You asked if all went well during the trip---- a squirrel chewed through the propane hose from the tank to the regulator. I had to turn off propane (obviously), but didn't catch it till I got back to my site, could have been a few hours. 

Related?
Maybe the darn critter ate through more in the underneath.......

And, I moved to a site that only had power a distance from the pad area and had to use an extension cord for 20 amp to run things.  I carry a 30A extension cord, but the power box was even further.

offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2022 at 3:33pm
Yikes, that's one dangerous squirrel. Lack of propane could possibly be related. If when you unplugged shore and TV power the fridge was still on it might try to run on 12V rather than propane which would discharge your trailer batteries pretty quickly.

The advice to get a multimeter is good. If you get one with clamp on DC current measurement capability it will allow you to track down stray load currents and determine what your charge current is. A basic voltmeter will only tell you what the battery voltage is.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2022 at 5:56pm
I have some friends who live near Sedona, AZ who have terrible problems with rodents eating or chewing on the wiring and insulation on their RV and cars.  They have tried many remedies to keep them out but the ones that seem to work best are lights and predator pee.  They set up lights under the hoods of their cars so it's bright as day underneath the vehicles.  Apparently, the rodent's don't like to be out in full light as they feel that they can be seen by predators.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
ampete View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote ampete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2022 at 9:11pm
Yikes, lights and pee, haha.

I have a bad shoulder so I can't move around too well right now.  I contacted the local RV shop that I like, and they're going to take a look for me.  I will purchase my own meter as well. My next planned trip isn't for a couple weeks.  I'll post whatever they find so it may help others.

I appreciate all of the advice. Thanks everyone!
Desert Wanderer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Desert Wanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2022 at 8:05pm
check the breaker on the inverter it probably tripped.
2019 R Pod 180
08 VW Touareg VR6
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>