R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

2017 Rpod 178 2-6 volt batteries wiring

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Barryb125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2017 Rpod 178 2-6 volt batteries wiring
    Posted: 13 Jul 2022 at 5:33pm
Hello Folks
Would anyone be kind enough to post (if possible) or email me a picture of how you have your dual 6 volt batteries wired in series?  My email is: bvbrodd@sonic.net

Thanks in advance.

Barry
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2022 at 8:28pm
Description:

You will need one jumper. You can find them at your local auto parts store if you don't have the tools to make one.

Positive cable goes to positive on one battery. Jumper goes from negative terminal on that battery to positive post on second battery. Negative cable goes to negative post on 2nd battery. It is pretty simple. I don't have that setup anymore since I switched to an LiFePO4 battery located inside.

POS                      NEG                         POS               NEG
Positive cable -----------+                          - ----Jumper cable---+                     - -------------------- Negative cable

StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
JR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2022 at 7:30am
When  you make up or purchase your jumper cables make sure they are of the proper gauge of wire to take the amperage load you will be using.  Unless you have changed (added more) the electrical load since getting the trailer you would be safe in using the same gauge wire that is connecting the original battery (should be around an 8 gauge wire).  But do check it to make sure.  Hope this helps.
Jay

179/2019
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2022 at 8:52am
+1 on both the above posts. Re wire gauge you need the wire ampacity to match up with the battery fuse size in your panel, which should be 40A That is 8 gauge minimum.

How you're enclosing the batteries will define how long the single jumper you need has to be. I used two separate cases so had to run the jumper out and down one case and then back up into the other. IIRC that required about a 16 inch jumper.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Barryb125 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Barryb125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2022 at 12:28pm
Thanks for the help, seems like batteries are wired correctly. Now my question, they are very slow to charge up to full power using shore power. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Barry
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2022 at 12:43pm
Well, consider that you have 200+ AH of battery capacity. The converter is a multi-mode charger. Bulk charge will bring it up some, then absorption mode kicks in to finish the job. Once it is charged, it changes to float mode. Charging in absorption mode is slower. You don't want to boil your batteries. That would be a very bad thing. Given the year, you likely have the WFCO 8955 power center. It is likely working properly. WFCO has troubleshooting charts on the web site that you can download and use to figure out if your converter is working correctly or if it is having an issue.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply