R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Wrestling with the Alligator

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote poohbill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wrestling with the Alligator
    Posted: 12 Jul 2022 at 7:56pm
We are still wrestling with the original R-Pod 179 mattress with an aftermarket foam topper every few weeks during the short summers here in Idaho, where most of the camping in above 6,500f and paying $500 for a new mattress seems extravagant. Just to revive an old gripe and to remind folks why the 179 bed is a pain, I post this with a general question: is the alligator winning most matches? 
2016 179 Gastropod
2017 Ridgeline
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2022 at 10:35pm
We replaced ours with a 6" memory foam mattress, which was the best compromise between comfort, weight, and the ability to move it to get to the valves, added storage, battery, etc. I am the one who makes up the bed, and yes, it is tough to make the bed. My wife made the flat top sheet a fitted sheet for the foot end which makes it a bit easier. However, it is hard to get the sheets tight when one has to be crawling on them to get the back, head, and foot ends tucked in. So while the alligator might not win, it puts up a good fight.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
poohbill View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote poohbill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2022 at 10:51pm
With one's head to the right and feet to the left, the space from the closet, back, is a natural storage area for (in order, up: the top sheet, the blanket, the quilt, then the dog. The dog is unstoppable: “Oh, is this my pillow?” but the other three beg for a podmod.
2016 179 Gastropod
2017 Ridgeline
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2022 at 5:41am
We replaced an OEM mattress with a "short" queen [60"x74"] that we got on Amazon 3 years ago and it has been a very good value.  It makes our trailer bed one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept on.  The price has gone up a bit, but it still a good deal.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07J5HX864/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It comes in varying thicknesses, depending on your preference [and weight].  We have the 6" version.  I wouldn't want it any thicker because our bed is already pretty high off the floor.  Much higher and it'd be awkward to get in the bed, especially in the middle of the night when geezer trips to the head become necessary.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
Leo B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Leo B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2022 at 5:59pm
We replaced the original 179 mattress, with a really nice 8" mattress we got through Camping world, it was excellent.
Have also replaced the factory mattress that came with our Vista Cruiser with a similar 8" mattress.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
gpokluda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2022 at 9:19pm
We replaced the mattress in our 179 with an 8" from Wilderness Mattress I believe. Was it expensive? Yes. What is a good night's sleep worth to you? Since then we've taken a number of multi-week trips and when we get home, we actually miss our RV mattress.
Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179(sold 2023)
2022 Escape 5.0TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 3.5EB
Triumph T120
JR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2022 at 7:35am
+1 gpokluda a good nights sleep is irreplaceable to me, especially if you are going to using your RPod.  My wife and I go on a spring trip for about 70 nights since we have had our pod.  Hope this helps
Jay

179/2019
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2022 at 7:41am
+2  Cannot put a price on a good nights sleep and proper support for your body while sleeping.  After 3 sleeps on our original mattress we purchased an 8" Eurotop, not cheap but well worth it.  Have had it for over 11 years now and is still just as firm and comfortable as the day we got it.  Average 40 - 50 nights/year with it so it gets a fair amount of use.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Dirt Sifter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dirt Sifter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2022 at 9:00am
Quit fighting and go buy a good mattress. Memory foam short queen worked for us. We moved it to the 195 when we traded in the 179. Only way to go. Happy camping!
Greg n Deb 2020 195 HRE
'07 Tundra 5.7L., '17 Tacoma 3.5L. Both with tow packages
1 Puggle, 1 Chihuahua support staff
poohbill View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote poohbill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2022 at 10:00am
I found a simple and cheap improvement by sheeting only the foam topping we bought a couple years after sleeping on the original mattress. Much simpler that trying to sheet the two as a stack by only making up the top layer and letting it rest on the unadorned bottom mattress as if it is a box for the mattress above. This takes me half the time and stays in place no matter how much tossing and turning.

Just don't take that many trips these days.
2016 179 Gastropod
2017 Ridgeline
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>