R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Norcold N7V & power

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote vmh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Norcold N7V & power
    Posted: 12 Jul 2022 at 6:27am
Finally got to take the R-Pod on a first trip, albeit just a long weekend, after getting it back from the dealer. I have a question about the refrigerator, a Norcold N7V. (Sorry we're new at this!)

It is my understanding that it runs off the battery & propane as another option. Does it also run off AC shore power?

We have the new SoftStartUp with surge protector that you place at the post (works well btw, we ran A/C off house outlet). We've had several times that the fridge was showing red when we returned. Resetting the bathroom GFI solved the problem. This is why I am confused for why would GFI solved a problem for an appliance that runs off the battery?

Secondly, when on one occasion I tried to reset the fridge, it went from off to green then to amber then quickly to red. It's my understanding that amber is when it's running on propane. Propane tank is full. Is there some other switch I should be aware of? Instructional book was not much help.

As a side note, the first night I went to light the Suburban 2 burner & nothing (tank was on & full)! Called FRiver Help line & he had me check that the hot water heater was heating by propane and it was. Told me I had to have the stove looked at. It worked when the inspector did his inspection . (No manual for the stove). Wondering if this is related to the fridge not going to propane.

It's going back to the dealer but I wanted some background knowledge so I know what to ask for it what they are saying. A little education never hurts.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Vela
2022 R-Pod195
Towed by 2022 Ford Ranger
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2022 at 7:14am
Your  Norcold does run off both propane and 120v shore power.  If there is more draw on the electrical system than the fuse can handle, the GFI will pop and all your outlets will be in the off mode until you re-set the GFI.  The only part of your fridge that does need 12v is the mother board.  If your onboard battery is bad or very low (<12v) the mother board will not function.  Seeing that your 195 is new, I doubt that to be the case but it wouldn't hurt to check the voltage of your battery.  Leave it at rest for at least 4 hours not hooked up to shore power, it should read 12.72v or better if it is good and your onboard converter is functioning properly.  Your fridge is either plugged into the GFI or is downstream of it so if that has popped off, fridge will not function until GFI has been re-set.

Stove has no bearing on the fridge working on propane.  What many of us do is to run the stove first before lighting the fridge to purge air out of the line so that the fridge will light quicker.  This is only necessary after tanks have been switched and air has been introduced in the line.

Please keep us informed as many others will benefit from this.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2022 at 9:08am
Jato has everything right except for one thing. GFCI outlets don't trip for overload, they are there to protect you from shocks if you get a fault to ground. The breakers in the panel board are what trips for overcurrent. So if your GFCI outlet is tripping it is either faulty (not all that uncommon) or you have a ground fault in one of the circuits it's protecting. Since you are returning the trailer to the dealer let him know about that when you drop it off.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2022 at 9:58am
We have on at least one occasion tripped the GFI when we first connected to shore power at one camp site. After resetting it did not trip again, and it has never done it at any of the other campgrounds we went to. So it's possible to trip the GFI; possibly related to arcing that might happen when you make that initial connection.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
vmh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote vmh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2022 at 10:32am
Ok, good to know the refrigerator does not run off the battery when we are driving; for some reason I thought I remember the guy saying that during the (very fast) run through. It's was still cold when we got to camp though it was not a long drive.

The GFI tripped several times AFTER we had been up & running. We were out & the only thing running was the A/C. And as I mentioned we have the SoftStartUp. Good to know the GFI might need faulty; goes on the list with a few other things since my last posting...
2022 R-Pod195
chasl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote chasl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2022 at 11:41am
Our 2 burner stove will not light at first when the propane was shut off at tank. After a few tries, it lights fine, so may be air in the line, which bleeds in when the tank pressure is shut off.

Sounds like you have a newer fridge than the one in our 2021 196. Our runs on propane-12v or on shore power. It does not run on 12v battery alone.

Not sure why your GCFI is tripping and why it would relate to battery/propane operation of the fridge, it indeed it does. Have your dealer check it.
cl
vmh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote vmh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2022 at 7:26am
Thanks to everyone for your answers.  Finally got the RPod back from the dealer and they said there was air in the line and they purged it.  Though the stove took a long time for me to light when we first got it back.  The fridge does switch over now to propane just fine.  On our first and only long trip this season due to time back at the dealer and we're waiting to take it back for more problems...another post, we decided to use Cooler Shock reusable ice packs in lieu of using propane; they worked like a charm!
2022 R-Pod195
 Post Reply Post Reply