R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Electric brake wire connector type?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote poohbill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Electric brake wire connector type?
    Posted: 08 Jul 2022 at 2:42pm
OK, I finally tore the leftside brake wire from its connector to the harness and thought “Well, State Trailer should know the right connector and have them in stock. Quick fix." Nope. They had many connectors but nope built to take mud and/or strain, and didn't know they didn't know, if you know what I mean.
Wink
What am I looking for here? 12v - check. Two wire each side - check. Name? Size? Rating(s)? Where to find?

Thank you.

Bill
RoverPod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote RoverPod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2022 at 6:12pm
I have no idea what all those "nopes" and "you know what I mean" mean, but if you need a new connector for your trailer brake wires, this is what you need.

https://www.trailerpartsdepot.com/p-7235-sealed-electric-wire-connectors-for-brake-applications-3m-brand-5-pack.aspx
2017 F150 XLT SuperCab
2020 rPod 180
poohbill View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote poohbill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2022 at 6:54pm
Thanks.
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2022 at 3:04am
Don't use those crummy insulation displacement connectors, they are notorious for losing connection. FR just uses them because they're cheap and quick. Many reports of those failing.

Use good quality butt splices or soldered connections, with self sealing heat shrink tubing, you'll be much happier in the long run. There are also now butt splice kits available with a built in solder ring and heat shrink that solder and shrink in one step using a heat gun.

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2022 at 6:39am
Oh, dang!  I have to agree with OG.  I had the same issue with the left side brake wire and had to splice in new wire to reconnect the brakes.  The first time I fixed it, I used the displacement connectors and it came apart again and I had to do a temporary fix along I-80 in Utah.  When we got to our destination, I fixed it again, hopefully permanently, with solder and compression butt splices and now have a solid repair.  I also made sure that the wires were well protected and had plenty of length to be able to accommodate the movement of the axle.  I even covered them with plastic wire loom to hopefully protect them from minor impacts with junk on the road.  I used heat shrink sheathing and heat shrink butt splices to seal them from moisture, but I like the idea of the solder ring/heat shrink connectors.  OG, where are did you find them?

Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2022 at 7:47am
LA, I've always done splices old school (solder then seal) like you but Ive been meaning to try these

Butt splices
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2022 at 8:11am
Those connectors look pretty cool.  I think I'll order a box.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2022 at 9:47am
Great! Let us know how they work out
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2022 at 10:05am
Aha, my smart mechanic has been using those connectors at the golf course for probably 10 years, can't beat them!  They work very well in golf course applications where equipment is put through the ringer when it comes to unfavorable conditions for electrical connections.  You will love them.  Actually, the Toro company has been using them on some of their commercial golf equipment for many years.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2022 at 11:04am
Good to know that there are folks doing a lot of this kind of work that like them.

I'm a bit surprised the solder will melt before the insulation burns when using a heat gun, especially on larger gauge wires. Be on the lookout for cold solder joints.

But back to the original question. Just about anything is going to be better than the OEM insulation displacement connectors which rely on mechanically pinching tiny sections of wire between two knife edges which first have to cut through the insulation.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>