Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Gravel road rated

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote poohbill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gravel road rated
    Posted: 01 Jul 2022 at 3:43pm
We find ourselves on western Forest roads with the Gastropod, banging it up on waffleboarded and potholed gravelled surfaces. I agree with the manufacturer that R-Pods aren't designed or built for this. Has anyone found an alternative that is gravel road rated? Or, found their pod holding together better than expected? I sure would be willing to trade airconditioning and the microwave away for heavier connections, but am limited in my towing capacity to around 5,000lbs.

Bill
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2022 at 1:03pm
There are lots of companies offering off road trailers. But of course they are much more heavily constructed so to stay within your weight restriction you would need to get a much smaller trailer without all the amenities. Expensive too. Some are expandable to try to compensate. Take a look at opus camper for example.

And no rpods don't really hold up better than expected. There are lots of reports of bent axles, frames, sagging floors, and cabinets shaking loose, etc on this forum and elsewhere.

IMHO there ain't no free lunch. To paraphrase the old saying: light weight, robust construction, space, choose any two. So consider getting a heavier TV if you have the coin, or just travel VERY SLOWLY (like walking speed) when you get on rough roads. The latter is what I did. You get there eventually and without damage, just have to be patient.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
RoverPod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote RoverPod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2022 at 6:48am
I saw one of these on the Blue Ridge Parkway. The guy had a whole bunch of solar panels on the trailer and on his pickup truck.

https://www.blackseries.net/travel-trailers/
2017 F150 XLT SuperCab
2020 rPod 180
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2022 at 8:32am
Wow, the smallest one is over $70k and weighs 4400 lbs dry. You could buy a really nice heavy TV for that. Overkill for the Parkway for sure.   
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2022 at 11:46am
We have found that our trailer does reasonably well on bumpy and dirt roads, though I certainly wouldn't take it off road that some of the small heavy very high clearance trailers can manage.  With no slide out, minimal overhang from the frame rails, high ground clearance with leaf springs, and I-beam frame rails, it seems to be plenty sturdy for managing some pretty bad roads, provided one drives slowly.  The biggest limitation is the hitch clearance.  The weight distribution torsion bars stick down a bit and limit crossing abrupt changes in ground clearance.  If I take them off, then the back end of the TV drops a bit and the bottom of the E-2 hitch is about as low as the bottom of the torsion bars.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2022 at 4:36pm
But your Sonoma is not really towable by a 5000 lb rated TV like the OP has, right LA?

Possibly one of the NuCamp Tabs might work ok with care on FS roads. They are light enough for a 5000 lb TV and (I think) better constructed relative to FR products.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2022 at 6:53pm
It all depends upon the margin over the weight of the trailer you want with your towing capacity.  

The GVWR of our trailer is 4400 lbs., so it would give a tad better than a 10% margin with a 5000 lb. towing capacity.  Poohbill may find it perfectly adequate, unless he is towing in very steep terrain at high altitudes with a naturally aspirated engine.  

We've taken it on US Forest Service roads with no issues.  Again, going slow and avoiding very abrupt grade changes where the hitch could hit.  If we had a set of those fancy air shocks to raise the back of the truck to get more ground clearance, hitch clearance would be no problem.  

The NuCamp Tab is a really nice trailer, but for some, it's a little on the cramped side.  We've spent as long as 6 weeks in our Sonoma and never felt cramped.  It's kind of nice to have the bed and dinette separate along with a full bath, a galley with a 3 burner stove and oven, and a 6 cu.ft. refrigerator with a big freezer.  Also, we found that the insulated and enclosed floor on the chassis side has been effective in keeping things from freezing in some very cold temps, that I've posted about before.  

Everyone has his or her preferences, as governed by the capacity to pay for what ever one may wish to buy.  We paid about half of what a NuCamp Tab 320 costs.  Add another $13K and you can get a 400. Even with the smaller camp sites in older campgrounds that we've been noting in New England's limited national forests and state campgrounds, our trailer fits into the small sites just fine.  We couldn't be happier with the trailer we have, but that's our personal preference.

Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
poohbill View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote poohbill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2022 at 7:45pm
We bought the 20’ Gastropod 179 in 2016, then the Ridgeline the following year. They are a beautiful pair and match our needs perfectly. My garage limits my truck size and my truck size in turn limits the trailer. We have several favorite lakes in Montana and Wyoming we have traveled up to with the pair, learning not to stow heavy items in the trailer and how to make minor cabinet repairs when we did. After the first year of destruction, I slowed down significantly and left much earlier in the day. What I am seeing now isn't too bad all in all - it is a big box swaying much more than a structure of that volume should without internal bracing.

So, I'm looking toward the day when still constrained by my older, smaller, garage bays, the Gastropod serves up its last meal. It is our first trailer and I feel comfortable now towing something that size. Honestly, it tows so easy with my 2017 RTL that Coachman's Catalina Expedition (2’ longer and a half-ton heavier) seems doable.

We really like those high mountain lakes for the two months every year they are reachable. Unless the Forest is burning.
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2022 at 5:33am
Ufff, the forest burning.  That's one of the reasons we moved from Dayton, NV.  We couldn't go camping for most of last summer due to fires and closed campgrounds and were trapped in smoke even when we were home.  I hope the fires are fewer and less destructive this year.  It is truly heartbreaking.

The Catalina Expedition looks like a very nice trailer.  Its GVWR appears to be right at the weight limit of the Ridge Line, so there isn't much of a margin of error.  It's about the same length as our trailer and about 4" wider.  The layout is practically identical to the bunkhouse version of the Sonoma, but it looks, from the spec list, to have some upgrades.  I can't believe how much the prices of trailers have gone since we bought our Pod replacement, especially the single axle small trailers.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2022 at 5:49am
Originally posted by lostagain

The GVWR of our trailer is 4400 lbs., so it would give a tad better than a 10% margin with a 5000 lb. towing capacity.

10% margin on towing capacity but not on GCWR. With a realistic 800 lbs of people, supplies, gear and a wdh in the Rigdeline, it is at 97% of gross combined vehicle rating. Still legal but marginal.

You have to remember that tow ratings do not assume a fully loaded tow vehicle. You'd have to check the tongue weight and rear axle load as well, tongue weight is very likely over. And a wdh does not give give you any weight increases.

I'm sure your Sonoma is a great trailer when towed behind an F150 which is significantly more capable than a Ridgeline or the Highlander I have. But it's too much trailer for that TV, especially considering the rough/steep road use case.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>