R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Shore power does not operate Fridge.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote padman189 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shore power does not operate Fridge.
    Posted: 26 Jun 2022 at 12:45pm
Good morning All. 

I'm new to the R-Pod world. I purchased a lightly used P-pod 189 last winter and we have been on 5 trips with it thus far and had no issues until this last 3 day adventure. 

We were dry camping and had the fridge running off propane. On the second day, somehow, it switched to battery power which seemed to drain the batteries down. (we have 2 batteries), I quickly shut everything down and tried to restart the fridge on using propane but was unable to get it started, the lights however came back on fine.  From this point on the second day, I could not get the fridge to work in either propane or battery mode while driving the car. 

Fast forward to me trouble shooting it at home now after having it plugged in all evening and day to shore power (as is normal for me when the trainer is not in use) . I can now get the fridge to run on propane and battery, but not on shore power.  

The only thing I did different with the electric system this trip was that I ran the solar power a couple of times just to see how it works.  There did not seem to be any issues with it either time I plugged it in. 

Any help you all can give me regarding why the system might have switched from gas to battery in the first place, or as to why I can no longer run the fridge on shore power would be greatly appreciated.

thank you
mike
padman
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2022 at 4:31pm
Did you check the breaker and GFCI to be sure those aren't tripped? That could prevent the fridge from running on shore power.

Running the fridge on 12V without a charging source will for sure discharge the batteries, but it should take hours to do that, especially with 2 batteries. If the batteries discharged quickly then either they were already at a low state of charge or are not holding a charge. Since the refrigerator control requires a stable source of 12V that could be a reason the fridge isn't operating as you expect it to.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2022 at 5:59am
+1  Test your batteries to make sure they haven't been hurt or can still hold a charge.  Fully charged 12v battery (at rest) will read 12.72v.  While on a charger or running off your tv it should read 13.5v or more.  Do not run below 12.2v for maximum life of the battery(s).  As OG mentioned above the fridge will not operate without a 12v battery source since the mother board/control panel needs this (12v) as a power source to operate. 

Put your batteries on a 2 amp trickle charge for a day, then disconnect and let sit for at least 3-4 hours then test - they should be fully charged and read 12.72v.  How old are your batteries and how many times have they been fully or nearly fully discharged?
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
padman189 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote padman189 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2022 at 10:08am
This is all great information and I'll start the process of digging further into it today. 

Breakers all seem good, as do the fuses.  All other electrical works when on Shore Power except the fridge. 
I have had the batteries drained to minimal at least one time when I left a couple of lights on in the unit over an extended period of time, and since then, I've kept it plugged in just to avoid that. I will for sure check the batteries and how long they hold a charge and see if that is the issue, but I guess I'm still confused on how the fridge would not work while plugged into shore power.  
But I greatly appreciate all the suggestions and help on this. 

Thank you. 
padman
padman189 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote padman189 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2022 at 10:09am
This is all great information and I'll start the process of digging further into it today. 

Breakers all seem good, as do the fuses.  All other electrical works when on Shore Power except the fridge. 
I have had the batteries drained to minimal at least one time when I left a couple of lights on in the unit over an extended period of time, and since then, I've kept it plugged in just to avoid that. I will for sure check the batteries and how long they hold a charge and see if that is the issue, but I guess I'm still confused on how the fridge would not work while plugged into shore power.  
But I greatly appreciate all the suggestions and help on this. 

Thank you. 
padman
lms1958 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lms1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2022 at 10:46am
We found that the propane to the fridge works better if we light the burners on the trailer's kitchen propane stove first.  After we shut off the burners, then we try starting the fridge on propane.
I hope that helps.
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2022 at 11:39am
IF your batteries drained low the Dometic will not function regardless of whether you use shore power or propane because the motherboard/control panel need 12v to operate.  I do find it interesting that fridge works on propane but not on 120 shore power which would lead me to the same conclusion that offgrid came to - the GFCI breaker.  Please verify that you actually have power coming out of the plug with a voltmeter or similar.  I have witnessed where the receptacle appears 'normal' yet something failed inside, not allowing power to exit to the plug.  If you don't have said voltmeter you can simply plug in a lamp or anything else you have around that requires 120 to operate.  Plug in to verify the receptacle is functioning.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
padman189 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote padman189 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2022 at 11:45am
The issue seems to be as you suspected.  Upon further inspection, the plugs were not active, I went in the bathroom of the unit and reset that switch and all seems to be working now.  

Thank you all so much for the help. 
padman
 Post Reply Post Reply