This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Front window broken

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote J&BinAZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Front window broken
    Posted: 21 Jun 2022 at 1:52pm
New to the forum. We have a 2021 r179. Have had since new in November 2020, and have had it out on about 2 dozen trips and 100+ nights. Last week coming home on the highway the front window shattered (must have hit a rock?) and I am working with insurance to get it replaced. Has this happened to anyone? Does the replacement need to come from Forest River? What's the best way to seal it off while waiting for the part?
campman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote campman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2022 at 3:09pm
Lots of incidents like this since FR decided to put a big window on the front - do a search on this site or on the interweb, lots of reports and one just recently here that you may find educational) as to others experiences.

I know of three types of windows they have tried...yours, which sounds like tempered glass and a bad idea.

Then I heard the next attempt was a dual pane unit. These were reported to fail as the rpod isn't rigid enough structurally and the seals would break and lead to fogging between the panes.

The third is what is on our 192, a tinted plastic type which seem to work as designed as long as they are installed properly.

I would suggest to go through your rpod dealer to see if they will warranty it as it was a bad type of window to install. Some who have gone through the process with FR have had successful conclusions, others not so much. Gotta give it a try though, I am thinking.

Wait times can be long for parts etc as we have all experienced by now.

When my 192 front window leaked due to a bad installation, I just got a piece of thick clear plastic used in home construction for vapour barrier. 9 mil thickness if I recall correctly. Cut it a bit bigger then the window and used a good tape to tape all the way around it to keep any water out till I could get it in to be repaired.

Once you remove the tape, have some goo-gone or similar product to help take any remaining tape and residue safely off your trailer front. You don't want to damage the surface or finish.

Good luck, and let us know how things work out. Hopefully for the best!

Andy
Andy and Laurie
'16 F150 5.0 4X4 w/factory tow pkg
'21 RP192
"If the women don't find you handsome...at least let them find you handy!"
Red-Green
campman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote campman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2022 at 3:17pm
One more note, your trailer is still under warranty, so definitely try to get it repaired through Forest Rivers warranty so you don't have an insurance claim against you, and it shouldn't cost you anything out of pocket.

Another thing, if you need to tow it with the plastic over the window hole, try to reinforce the plastic from the inside, maybe with a stout piece of cardboard that is supported from the inside of the window frame.

Or, as I suggested in another thread where their window shattered, take out the window completely and have a shop fabricate a piece of aluminum or other product to permanently affix over the hole, fill, insulate and finish it from the inside and never have a problem again with it!

Hope this helps, and good luck.

Andy

Andy
Andy and Laurie
'21 RP192
Red-Green
J&BinAZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote J&BinAZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2022 at 3:18pm
Thanks for the info. I'll check into the vapor barrier. I currently have a piece of reflectix covering it and held down with several layers of good waterproof tape, but not sure if it will withstand our Arizona monsoons. I also think it is a design flaw, even though we have enjoyed the light inside. I will give FR dealer a call. Thanks!
Grand Canyon State rules!
J&BinAZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote J&BinAZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2022 at 3:23pm
I like that last idea about the aluminum fabrication. If the window takes too long to arrive, I will probably go that route. Can't have the rpod sidelined for 3 months during prime mountain camping season!
campman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote campman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2022 at 3:29pm
There is a recent thread here that shows what one person did when he found extensive water damage at the back of his trailer, plywood work was wonderful!
Andy and Laurie
'21 RP192
Red-Green
J&BinAZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote J&BinAZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2022 at 3:50pm
Yeah I saw that one. Don 't want to go to that extreme. Looks like he carved that rpod from a single piece of wood...
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2022 at 3:34pm
I'm surprised no one has suggested getting a lexan window fabricated. lexan is very strong, and I think it's what they use on fighter jets.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
J&BinAZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote J&BinAZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2022 at 5:04pm
I have heard of lexan, but who does such fabrication? I am having a tough time just getting the insurance company to set me up with an rv glass installer. Thanks.
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2022 at 3:48am
I've suggested polycarbonate several times. Lexan is just GE Plastics' brand name for it. Regardless of brand, it's good stuff for this application as it won't break. You can scratch it so use care while cleaning; flush first, use a sift cloth, and use straight line motions. Circular motions can cause swirl marks which draw your eye.

You can use normal saws to cut it, not a problem at all. Easy DIY. You can get pretty much any thickness you want so get close to the same thickness as the the glass youre replacing so the seal will engage properly.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>