R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Air Conditioner Runoff

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote the_fischers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Air Conditioner Runoff
    Posted: 20 Jun 2022 at 10:38pm
We took our new 2022 R-190 this weekend and unfortunately had the AC running most of the day on Saturday because of the high humidity (60-80%). As we were breaking down camp, I noticed that the discharge from the AC run-off was flowing down the right side of the front window (looking at the from the front) and dripping on, over, and around the entire battery disconnect switch. The Pod was completely level (both front to back and side to side. Has anyone else noticed this? I’m just guessing that it’s not good to have water flowing over and into the battery disconnect switch. Should I be worried? Any suggestions or recommendations, I thought I’d just remove the switch cover, let things dry out, putting it back together and then sealing it with FlexSeal products - any other thoughts, ideas, or guidance?
campman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote campman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2022 at 8:23am
Good morning.

I am thinking that the battery disconnect switch should be good to go. Unless you see something wrong with it.

If it is in the same place as my 192 (front left on the trailer A frame), it is constantly exposed to rain, snow, ice as well as everything that gets thrown at it by the tires of your tow vehicle.

Have a good one,

Andy
Andy and Laurie
'16 F150 5.0 4X4 w/factory tow pkg
'21 RP192
"If the women don't find you handsome...at least let them find you handy!"
Red-Green
the_fischers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote the_fischers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2022 at 3:08pm
Thanks for the feedback @campman - that's what I assumed
campman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote campman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2022 at 3:24pm
No problem, that is the strength of this forum. Lots of different thoughts, experience and ideas to draw upon.

It is good to keep in mind not all battery shut offs are made with the same quality so it is a good idea to keep a weather eye on the battery shut off switch as I have heard of them failing on rare occasions.

As all other electrical connections, they need to be kept clean, secure/tight and corrosion free to work properly.

Cheers,

Andy
Andy and Laurie
'21 RP192
Red-Green
campman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote campman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2022 at 3:27pm
Another after thought...if you don't want water running over the shut off, just tilt the nose of the trailer up just a little bit, or tilt the trailer slightly to the door side. The water will drain away nicely for you. Just a bit though, your fridge needs the trailer to be almost level to cool properly.

Andy
Andy and Laurie
'21 RP192
Red-Green
npalumbo89 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote npalumbo89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2022 at 11:54am
I've experienced this as well here with my 22 190 in Columbus, Ohio camping this year. Still not sure If its normal or if its something to be concerned with. But also happens on really hot days. 
Nicholas Palumbo
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2022 at 12:58pm
Hot, humid days mean more condensation to drain. It make sense. The compressor is running more on hot days. Humidity is condensed, and has to drain off somewhere. You don't want it dripping inside your RPod.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2022 at 3:39pm
The water is coming from the evaporator in the interior of the trailer because that is where the humidity is condensing (it's called condensate). So the outside humidity doesn't directly bear on how much water is dripping down. The inside humidity is what matters.

If you started with a hot humid trailer interior, sealed it up perfectly, and cooled the air inside from 100F/80% relative humidity to say 75F/50%RH (comfy) you would remove about 1 pint of water which would run down the outside of the trailer, after which there would be no more water being extracted from the inside air and the a/c would only cycle to remove heat coming through the walls and window glass, not moisture.

If you left the trailer wide open under the same outside conditions the a/c would run continuously just trying to take water out of the air, and you'd have about 12 pints per hour running down the outside.

Of course you can't seal up a trailer perfectly, and that good because you'd suffocate.

But if you keep the trailer closed up as much as possible to minimize the air exchange between the inside and outside your condensate will be much less than if you are going in and out, or leaving the vent fan on or windows open.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2022 at 9:42am
Thanks for the additional details. I did not specify inside or outside. These trailers are not perfectly sealed, so there will be humid air coming into the RPod. I can feel the air flow, particularly under the slide-out. So, there will always be more humidity to condense and drain.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply