R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

2018 RP 190 toilet leak?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote LongRanger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2018 RP 190 toilet leak?
    Posted: 19 Jun 2022 at 5:02pm
The wife and I are camping in Oregon. Full hookups. I noticed the floor in front of the toilet is a bit wet. Just got here today so have not used the shower yet. I got down on the floor and there is a wet glisten where the toilet meets the floor.

Bad seal? I did notice some water dripping under the trailer from on top of the black tank. Not from underneath like you’d see if a rock punctured it. I emptied the black tank just to see what would happen. The dripping stopped. How concerned should I be? What should I be looking for?
gpokluda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2022 at 6:13pm
I would do the easy thing first and that would be replace the toilet valve and seal. I bought a kit off Amazon for about $30 and it's a 30 minute DIY job. The toilet model number is located on the back of the toilet. Use your camera phone to snap a picture. Lots of Youtube videos to show you how to do it. 

You'll want to take care of it soon so you don't get water damage.
Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179(sold 2023)
2022 Escape 5.0TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 3.5EB
Triumph T120
LongRanger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote LongRanger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2022 at 11:52am
I took a closer look yesterday. It looks like the leak is from where the blue supply pipe is clamped right below the valve pipe. Using my phone camera I can’t see a place to tighten that clamp. There is so little clearance between the pipe and wall.
When connected to city water it’s a constant leak. When drawing only from the fresh water tank, it only leaks when you flush.
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2022 at 12:13pm
Is the clamp you are talking about a pex compression clamp?  If it is and that is the source of your leak, you may want to take it off and put on a traditional hose clamp and tighten it up well.  

You may also have a leaky toilet valve, as gpokluda suggests.  We had that happen when the residual water in the valve froze and cracked the valve housing because I didn't adequately drain it.  It can leak from other places too.  It is more likely that the valve is bad or the fitting that connects the pex supply line to the valve is damaged than the clamp coming loose.  It's easy to over tighten the plastic fittings and warp them, causing leaks.  Also, the connection from the pex to the valve may have a bad washer.  The important thing is to fix the leak as fast as you can and get things thoroughly dried out.  Water is the travel trailer's mortal enemy.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
LongRanger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote LongRanger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2023 at 5:45pm
Well this is a long time coming and just realized I forgot to post a reply. Solved! Yep, it was a leaky toilet valve. Got one from Amazon and hooked up an in-line disconnect valve while I was at it.

Thanks to those who provided input. Here is a link to the how-to I followed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kY-4I-hGwOE&list=WL&index=6&t=270s

IL-Podders View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote IL-Podders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2023 at 10:17am
I too have seemed to have developed a leak behind the toilet in my 179.  Was hoping to get out one more time this year but I don’t have the time to replace it.  Since the toilet is in the shower, I’m thinking that it would be OK and that my floor under the bathroom is safe.  I’m most worried about the subfloor.  Any thoughts.  Thanks
Marv-N-Kathy
2015 179 RPod
2016 Chevy Tahoe
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2023 at 1:44pm
If the water leaking went into the shower drain, it would not be a problem, but most likely it is dripping around the toilet area onto the subfloor, not a good scenario.  I would replace the leaking valve asap and avoid the potential of having to replace the subfloor or having the wet area that has probably already begun under the toilet to spread.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
 Post Reply Post Reply