R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Outriggers and over torsioned axle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote TugPod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Outriggers and over torsioned axle
    Posted: 17 Jun 2022 at 1:56pm
We have a 2019 190 Hood River (blue) and noticed some sag on the slide side.  We contacted the dealer and factory about installing and/or ordering outriggers as a preventive measure.  The factory had us send a comprehensive set of photos of both sides and, after a month of so, got back to us.  

They state that the problem has to do with an over torsioned axle and that outriggers are a preventive measure but won't fix the problem.  They are offering to return the unit to the Hood River factory to repair the problem.  Forest River will cover shipping and repair--we just have to sign a release.  We are the second owner, and the unit isn't covered by any warranty that I am aware of.  

Anyone have a similar experience or other thoughts on this?  

Thanks, Lisa

GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2022 at 10:39am
The outriggers and the torsion axles address two different issues. 

The question I have is whether the frame of the trailer is tilting toward the slide side, or whether the floor is bending under the load of the slide.

Determine if the axles are a problem by measuring the distance between the frame and the ground. I would expect a small lean toward the slide side, but I don't know what the tolerance is.

If the frame of the trailer is within the tolerance, then I would measure the distance between the ground and the out-most part of the trailer body. If there is a difference between than measurement and the frame, then that is the problem the outriggers are meant to address.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2022 at 9:33am
Great that FR is willing to fix it without warranty coverage. Looks like they have already concluded from your photos that the problem is with the axle not floor sag which is what the outriggers are installed to prevent.

There have been several posts about bent axles which FR typically wont repair because they would claim that that was due to abuse. However I believe there was a post about a similar issue from one of our members a couple of years ago, which was fixed by FR with a new axle. So maybe there was a manufacturing defect at Lippert (the axle manufacturer) at one point with the rubber the torsion arm is set into that allows it to rotate. You could use the advanced search to try to find that thread.

You can also ask FR if they plan to replace the axle, there isn't really anything else that can be done if the rubber has failed.

If you want to crawl under there you could differentiate a bent axle from a torsion rubber failure by running a string line along the bottom of the axle tube from one end to the other. There should be a crown of about 1/4 to 3/16 inch. If not then probably the axle tube is bent. If OTOH the torsion arm on the slide side comes off the axle at a significantly different angle than the door side then that would indicate that the rubber failed or the torsion arm got bent.

Or you can just send the trailer back and be happy FR is going to fix it.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2022 at 6:31pm
There was an axle defect on our RPod that was replaced by Lippert under warranty. That was not due to a bend, but the welding that holds the brake backing plate mount to the axle was incorrectly done and the weld broke. It meant that the brake backing plate spun until the wires broke. Then we had no braking on that side. We were at the rally in South Carolina. A service person took the brake assembly off and just mounted the hub back to the axle so we could get home.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
TugPod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote TugPod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2022 at 7:38pm
Thanks to all for your helpful posts.  We will measure the Pod to help figure out what is going on but are planning to send it back to the factory.  I'll update the post once we have more information.

Thanks again,

Lisa
106G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 106G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2022 at 1:20pm
Lisa, did FR end up doing the repair? If so, what did they do / replace? I have a 2019 rpod 191, when they get me scheduled, I will be getting a new floor, new axle and maybe some other things. My unit is sagging both sides, but worse on slide out side. I have torn off that fender twice now when the tire hit the fender. That is why I contacted them in April 2022. I inquired why this keeps happening. Now, I know what is causing the sagging suspension.

Jack
Winterpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Winterpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2022 at 6:54pm
Is it possible that the WDH IS causing the damage and delaminating to-the front of our R-Pods?

Winter pod
2013 R-Pod 178
2007 Silverato 1500 LT.
Trek Stash 8 29er hard tail
Old Town Kayak
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2022 at 9:55am
Originally posted by Winterpod

Is it possible that the WDH IS causing the damage and delaminating to-the front of our R-Pods? 

I kind of  doubt that, The WDH puts the stress on the frame, not the box sitting on top.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2022 at 9:58am
+1 to BP's reply. The sagging of the floor is a much more likely culprit.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2022 at 4:05am
Originally posted by Winterpod

That is an interesting question. The rpod frame isn't very stiff so the cabin (which is much more rigid because it is a box)  is going to create a composite structure with the box trying to stiffen the frame when it flexes under load (from the wdh, its own weight, potholes, etc). 

We know the frame flexes a lot bc at least one person has reported significant floor to wall separation around the midpoint due to jacking the trailer up with the stabilizing jacks (a big no no). 

So frame flexing from the wdh  could well be part of the cause of the floor separation problem but unlikely  the cause of the sagging once the wdh tension is released, unless that was due to the sheared out screws connecting  the floor and walls refusing to return to their original positions. 

If you want to assess how much flexing the wdh creates you could measure it with a straight edge with and without the wdh tensioned. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>